Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be receiving monthly installments on a debt from the usa over the next 10 years

if we get a recovery and we see the predicted rise in the cad against the usd.....what would be the best way to hedge against a falling us dollar ?

i am thinking about buying shares in an oil etf or shares in major oil companies ... a falling dollar would probably correlate fairly well with a rise in the price of oil and therefore oil producers ... right ?

i know very little about options but i also wonder if i should buy options in something like FXC which is a canadian dollar trust

any ideas are appreciated

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right
it looks like oil is highly correlated to the cad/usd relationship

i have found some etf's: uup for bullish bets on the us dollar and udn for bearish bets on the us dollar

problem is they are composed of a basket of currencies including about 53% euro which would not track well because the euro could tank and the cad could do well which would throw the whole thing off

i am thinking that oil and maybe just canadian equities might do the trick

i really would like to find an all-canadian etf that holds a basket of commodities that includes oil, gold and agriculture
i have found some that are on the new york and london exchanges but that exposes me to complex currency risk

have you ever heard of an all-canadian diversified commodity etf ?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
problem is they are composed of a basket of currencies including about 53% euro which would not track well because the euro could tank and the cad could do well which would throw the whole thing off...
I track the CDN/EUR on a daily basis and it varies less than the CDN/USD. Hovers around $0.75 right now. Heading to Italy on Friday!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts