Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
Our Costco gets high marks. Wipes and wash available upon entering, aisles one way, checkout measure distancing and plastic shield in fron of cashiers, also on final check upon exit.
Our Costco was very good before as well, just two weeks ago. Have you been in there recently?

It looks like they have changed on May 26th, based on the info on their covid webpage.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I was super impressed with Costco. They are not disinfecting for everyone, but they are proving wipes and sanitizer. I had to get new glasses and was little concerned on how they would do the optical area. The new process is you must call for an appointment, (it was about 3 days out was the next time). We went and checked in. They had screening questions before I was allowed in. They gave a tray for me to try glasses. Any thing I touched needed to go in the tray for sanitization. There was plexiglass and all staff had masks on. floor was labelled one way. When it came to adjustments, they asked me to put on the glasses and gave me instructions so they could adjust. They had a promo for the second pair at $100 off, so 2 pair were half the price of one pair at my optometrist. They also had an optometrist there too (by appointment only).

For shopping the part, they were handing out masks as it was the recommendation. They also had disposable masks for sale (best price I have seen in a while). About 1/2 the people in line came with masks, many took the few one. Unfortunately, the guy behind me refused going on about his rights. I personally hope they make wearing masks there a requirement. It is one in the US already.

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
People do not have a 'right' to shop at a store. A store has the 'right' to refuse service to people who refuse a dress code.
Absolutely, you need to follow the store's dress code ... no real issue there.

The problem I saw was they ignored the social distancing guidelines that are in place.
I know a few stores here that have been fined in the past week, this local Costco may be next.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
People do not have a 'right' to shop at a store. A store has the 'right' to refuse service to people who refuse a dress code.
No, stores and employers only have limited power to create and enforce dress codes.
This is very well established in Canadian law.

There have been many cases where discriminatory dress codes were overruled.

I'm not sure if anyone has challenged the mask requests yet, most places I've seen have not been enforcing their distancing policies that aggressively anyway.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
No, stores and employers only have limited power to create and enforce dress codes.

I'm not sure if anyone has challenged the mask requests yet, most places I've seen have not been enforcing their distancing policies that aggressively anyway.
I'm not aware of any specific rules of what is allowed to be prohibited. The requirements just cannot be discriminatory against protected characteristics such as race, gender, disability etc. Unless a person cannot wear a mask due to a disability, I think stores are within their rights to deny entry to someone not wearing them, much like 'no shirt, no shoes'.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
For clarity, I was commenting on this.
Thanks for the clarity. I don't think people understand the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms very well. You are correct that it's not a 'right' to shop in a private store. A private business can decide what their dress code is or rules to come in are, as longs as those rules are not based on gender, orientation, race, religion, age, disabilities, etc.

As long as the dress code does not discriminate age, gender, orientation, race, religion, disabilities, cause due hardship, or is 'unreasonable'. Dress codes are enforceable. A private business can for sure choose to not let you in. Ever been to some high end Michelin star restaurants? If you don't meet their standards, you don't get in.

I remember we went out with a group of friends for a dinner theatre which specifically said 'No blue jeans' (Shirt and pants/bottoms were also listed) on the ticket. One of our party members late coming from work and showed up in blue jeans. There were others in black jeans that were allowed in, but not so much our friend. There was no time for him to drive home to change, and we were told we were stuck. Apparently, I could have put him in my skirt that I had my trunk, and that was okay, but no blue jeans. He was about the change into my skirt and the manager came up with an alternative. They found our friend an extra pair of stage pants, they were nicer on him than my skirt, so it was fine. I personally thought it was a strange rule, but it stuck. We had a lawyer in our group who didn't think there was a problem Though, that could be because he wanted to see our friend in my skirt.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'm not aware of any specific rules of what is allowed to be prohibited. The requirements just cannot be discriminatory against protected characteristics such as race, gender, disability etc. Unless a person cannot wear a mask due to a disability, I think stores are within their rights to deny entry to someone not wearing them, much like 'no shirt, no shoes'.
Yes, disability, or religion, I don't know if cultural standards would be an acceptable reason.

As it is Costco here is only requesting, and so many people are doing mouth masks, it's kind of silly

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yes, disability, or religion, I don't know if cultural standards would be an acceptable reason.

As it is Costco here is only requesting, and so many people are doing mouth masks, it's kind of silly
What do you mean by cultural standard? Do you mean culture of a country?

US Costco has been mandating masks since early May. They have refused people entry. They even give away masks

TNT has been requiring masks for a hike. They charge $1, and also take your temperate before going in. Our sports medical clinic requires the same. My chiropractor doesn’t allow in the building without a mask. My doctor requires the same too.

The exception would be if you are under two or if you have breathing problems. The only reason it is not Federally regulated is because of enforceability, but provincial and municipal governments can choose to regulate. Private can also choose to make it mandatory. This has nothing to do with ‘rights’ but what is prudent.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts