Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re finding lineups are the worst since the pandemic began. Tried to visit Costco today. The lineup was 50% around the building. Picked up some propane and was allowed to Enter The auto centre to pay. Then we left.

How are you finding Lineups? best time to shop? I’m beginning to wonder if extended hours would be more efficient and safe. Looking ahead......lineups in the dead of winter would be brutal if this continues.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That to me if generally true indicates people are being stupid. It indicates to me that they think there is less risk today than there was before.

Once we found our way to shop safely by using pick-ups and home deliveries, WHY would we change that? For those who could not get pick-ups or home deliveries easily enough (major cities primarily) and who then had to risk going into the stores themselves, why would they change how often they were willing to risk that or why would more people start doing that than were before?

There is no logic to lineups getting worse except for the false logic that it is safer to do so and that they should relax their previous habits.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have yet to enter a store of any kind and have no intention of doing so in the near future. There is NOTHING I NEED that requires me to do so.

What we have found is that the wait time for a pick-up from PC Superstore, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, etc. has become significantly less. Where it was difficult to get even a slot 2 weeks out before, they are now available as little as 3-4 days in advance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Home Depot curb side Is very long in my area. Ordered stuff on Saturday, called today for an update. Rep told me up to 12 days.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That to me if generally true indicates people are being stupid. It indicates to me that they think there is less risk today than there was before.

Once we found our way to shop safely by using pick-ups and home deliveries, WHY would we change that? For those who could not get pick-ups or home deliveries easily enough (major cities primarily) and who then had to risk going into the stores themselves, why would they change how often they were willing to risk that or why would more people start doing that than were before?

There is no logic to lineups getting worse except for the false logic that it is safer to do so and that they should relax their previous habits.
no grocery delivery in my area and pickUp is limited to Walmart. I wish the local nofrills would start allowing pickups.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Home Depot curb side Is very long in my area. Ordered stuff on Saturday, called today for an update. Rep told me up to 12 days.
What is it that you want to pick up from Home Depot? Is it not available somewhere else like Home Hardware and are there none near you that you could check on?

You say Walmart is your only pick-up for groceries. No PC Superstore or Lowlaws, no small local groceries doing pick-up service? How hard have you looked for an alternative?

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
I find different stores have different busy times around here. Best just to make note of when they are not busy and shop then. It is a hit and miss but a good thing here is stores are slowly returning to regular hours instead of reduced covid hours.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our local grocery stores are Costco, no frills, food basics, zehrs. There is a food land but selection Is very poor and they don’t offer pickup. An independent (pc) grocer is about 40 mins away. I suppose we could use zehrs for pickup if desperate but we find their prices can be almost double.

for Home Depot, we’re trying to match some precious purchase items. We have a home hardware but you can’t get through on their phones.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
We’re finding lineups are the worst since the pandemic began. Tried to visit Costco today. The lineup was 50% around the building. Picked up some propane and was allowed to Enter The auto centre to pay. Then we left.

How are you finding Lineups? best time to shop? I’m beginning to wonder if extended hours would be more efficient and safe. Looking ahead......lineups in the dead of winter would be brutal if this continues.
I think it definitely matters between stores. I have been tracking and monitoring since this started for my area. There are apps out there especially for Costco, but it requires crowd-sourcing so not always up to date. I have found tryng to use live time feeds doesn't work for me because my nearest Costco is 30 minutes away, so a lot changes during those times.

Things that seem to increase how busy a place is (at least in the larger cities:
  • Friday to Sunday generally are busier
  • Any week prior to a long weekend or special event (like mother's day)
  • The first day a flyer takes in effect (if the store has flyers)
  • First of the month, and mid month where there are either normal 'pay days'
  • If there is a government benefit payment, coming up, often the first of the month and possible the 15th. That week proceeding government payouts has a higher spike
  • If you have a Friday that is the first of the month, is the worst especially if there are new sales.
  • First thing in the morning is awful, especially if the store has designated senior days. There is just more traffic. If you are senior, then go first thing as the hour starts, and be out before the regular shoppers come in. Costco is especially bad first thing in the morning because everyone wants to get a jump on the line. Unless you are looking for a hard to find item, go later.
Better times to go
  • Monday to Wednesday. If you are shopping sale items, you have a better chance on Monday
  • Later in the evening, dinner is good because people are making dinner
  • An hour to 45 minutes before store closing is usually less busy, and at Costco you have a pretty good chance in finding more difficult items as they are restocking for the morning
  • Mid afternoon isn't a bad time ( around 2) as people are still doing their regular day stuff. At about 4, there is sometimes a little line up as people are trying to get in before dinner
  • Really nice days because more people want to enjoy the weather

For me, I do most of my shopping on line. For Costco, it try to arrange my trips on a Tuesday around 3 pm that is not before the long weekend or the very end or beginning of the month. I time it that I am in before any government cheques are out. I also am on a local Costco facebook page where I have been monitoring feedback for months now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I won't do pickup at Home Depot or any store of that nature if I'm buying wood because I want to personally select straight or non-flawed boards. For example, I bought wood for a deck last week and had to sort through 40 - 5/4x 6" boards to find 24 straight ones.

But I'm retired and if I go early in the morning there's never a lineup.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
I find different stores have different busy times around here. Best just to make note of when they are not busy and shop then.
Yeah, I think that's the reality. Different patterns for different stores.

There are a couple grocery stores I like, and I found that 2 pm - 3 pm is the sweet spot for both of them. Never any lines (even during the worst of the lock down), not busy.

You just have to experiment and try different times.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We always avoid Costco near the 15. 30th of the month and on Fridays.

Went this past Saturday 45 @ 5;15. 45 minutes prior to closing. Walked right in. No problem. Two weeks ago the Costco clerk at the door told me that the best time at that store was 30-45 minutes before closing...walk right in. So, that is what I did.

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Two weeks ago the Costco clerk at the door told me that the best time at that store was 30-45 minutes before closing...walk right in. So, that is what I did.
Drove through the Costco lot 15 mins before closing last night ... it was packed so we went home.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I won't do pickup at Home Depot or any store of that nature if I'm buying wood because I want to personally select straight or non-flawed boards. For example, I bought wood for a deck last week and had to sort through 40 - 5/4x 6" boards to find 24 straight ones.

But I'm retired and if I go early in the morning there's never a lineup.
You would have done better to find somewhere that sells proper 2x6 deck boards. The 5/4ths nonsense only came along because people were too cheap to buy proper sized lumber for a deck.

A deck should feel 'solid' under your feet. The only way to get that feeling from a 5/4ths board is to use joists on 12 inch centres. I bet you aren't doing that are you.

I also find that I can easily see that a deck has been built using 5/4ths vs. 2x6s and when I see a 5/4ths deck my immediate thought is 'cheapskate' and/or 'amateur'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In terms of the big retailers, I find the best time to shop is either near closing or right before opening in the middle of the week. Weekends are generally very busy regardless of what time you're looking at. That being said, if you still encounter line-ups consider shopping at smaller businesses (if you can)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hit and miss here in Kingston, and depends on the store; time of day etc. I can sometimes go by Walmart early afternoon and walk straight in, a half hour after coming out the lineup is down the front of the entire building.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts