Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all.

I want to open a TFSA, but not an el-cheapo "1%" thing. Here's what I want to do:

Open a TFSA
Each time I have 50 or 100 to spare, chuck it in the TFSA account.
Once I reach, say, 1000, buy some shares in a Canadian bank (or something).
repeat.

So, I received the package from TD waterhouse discount brokerage. It's a bit confusing, but it smells like it's $50/year admin fee, plus ~$43 per trade.

Not that I'm going to be doing a huge amount of trading, but even one per year will cost me $100/year. If I only get 1000 per year in there, BOOM: loss of 10%.

So, what's the best option for me, under the scenario I describe. It might be "shove it in your pillowcase".

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
So, I received the package from TD waterhouse discount brokerage. It's a bit confusing, but it smells like it's $50/year admin fee, plus ~$43 per trade.

Not that I'm going to be doing a huge amount of trading, but even one per year will cost me $100/year. If I only get 1000 per year in there, BOOM: loss of 10%.

So, what's the best option for me, under the scenario I describe. It might be "shove it in your pillowcase".

Thanks!
If you do a search on globeandmail and look for Rob Carrick's column, he has a comparison of TFSA options. The thing about TD Waterhouse is that if you have 100k+ in assets with TD Waterhouse, they will waive the admin fee.

I don't know if that helps or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put my TFSA this year with Questrade.
They give you $50 in free trades if you can google it.
With $4.95 per 100 shares you really can't go wrong..

I found that with BMO investorline, I was hesitant to do many trades because it was so expensive. With such a small amount to invest ($5000) you really have to make sure you keep your investing costs low.

:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
to start off you could do a no cost thing with ING or someone, then buy their index funds until you have a sizeable amount and simply transfer it somewhere else

·
Banned
190 Posts
I'm currently using the ING TFSA savings account to accumulate the savings, then transfer the money to my waterhouse account. I use the ING TFSA because it's currently paying 3% interest, which is way higher than any other savings account that i can find.

Open one with my referral key (orange key) and we both get a $25 bonus sign up fee... how can you say no to free money...??

orange key: ****

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm currently using the ING TFSA savings account to accumulate the savings, then transfer the money to my waterhouse account. I use the ING TFSA because it's currently paying 3% interest, which is way higher than any other savings account that i can find.

Open one with my referral key (orange key) and we both get a $25 bonus sign up fee... how can you say no to free money...??

orange key: 34753714S1
What is an orange key???

·
Banned
6 Posts
TFSA investments

Check out a Mortgage Investment Corporation (MIC) for +10% annual returns. Income can be re-invested so interest compounds. Most want around $5k minimum and there are a few start-up fees. Once you have a bit of money invested the fees are a small percentage measured against your return. Kicks the crap out of GIC's or high risk stocks. MIC's work for all registered investments. Need an administrator like Olympia Trust to handle the paperwork. That's where the fees come from.
A good MIC I use is Axcess Capital. Very conservative with a low LTV ratio.
If you have a bit more cash available, look at syndicated mortgages. You can get 10-15% depending on risk profile. Axcess is a good source for these investments as well. Double your money in 6 yrs.
Your mutual fund salesman will lie to you and tell you these are illegal uses for your RRSP's. They don't want to lose their commissions!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
FYI, ING just dropped the rate for TFSAs from 3% to 2%. I think everyone saw this coming; I'm actually surprised they're keeping it as high as 2%, but we'll see how long that lasts!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts