Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about selling BCE if it ever receives a bit of a short term bump, and switching to Telus for my telecom play. Normally I wouldn't be concerned about the tepid price action and chasing the better returns. What I'm concerned about is seeing Bell's products. Their TV system is quite frankly junk.

I don't know what it's like out east, but in the west most people are either with Telus or Shaw. People are deserting Shaw en masse and switching to Telus for the total package - phone, TV, and internet. Optik TV is really great, and Telus doesn't charge overuse on internet. Someone I know called up Shaw and asked if there was any reason not to switch to Telus. They simply replied, "No".

What's your take on the telecoms?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Having lived on both sides:

Telus is actually an OK company to deal with, consider their size, I would expect them to be like Bell. I am especially amazed by their technicians and IT staffs that I had to call up on some of my *ahem* problems.

Bell is on my permanent black list of a company to never touch or deal with. I did not even bother buying their stock after the teacher's pension deal fell through and it presented a great buying opportunity.

I used to work for Shaw and disagreed with what managements told us to tell customers. So I had never touched their products so cannot offer any meaningful comment.

I am using nice words in protection of potential future libel. But basically multiply my comments 100 fold.

Disclaimer: Owns no long or short position on any of them.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I bought into Telus at roughly 36 so obviously I'm extremely happy with what it has done since then (March 2010). I'm looking to possibly replace my Telus position with Bell, Roger's or Shaw if I feel they have a better outlook.

I see Bell as having little room to grow its top line, but its revenue stability and free cash flows are both exceptional. Roger's may have the most room to grow based on the hit it took on q3 2010 earnings, and little recovery since then. Telus, Bell and Roger's all have similar valuations at the moment, strong cash flows and similar operating environments.

Going forward I would base my decision on which of the three will be able to expand its customer base, and which one will suffer least from competition from new wireless entrants. I'd look more indepth into where the majority of subscribers are located geographically and then take a look at where competitors' coverage is located and predicted to go.

I know very little about Shaw but have heard good things so may have to give it a more detailed look.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I switched from Shaw to Telus a year and a half ago partly for the total package you identified, but mostly because of our experience dealing with Shaw customer service and atrocious telephone wait times. Other than the Telus moron who almost cut me off on my commute this week I have little to complain about. Wait times are fine and their IT support has been very helpful. When I called about a billing error they made ($5.00 charged too much), the problem was fixed immediately. And a credit for a promotion they currently had for new customers was offered to me, without my asking giving me a television service I already pay for, free for three months. I guess time will tell if Telus becomes just another humongous corporation. But at Telus I actually feel like a customer where at Shaw it seemed we were a necessary nuisance!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Telus,BCE,Rogers & Shaw all suck from a customers perspective. I don't even want to get into why I cancelled my Telus dsl,cell and land line haha.

Having said that I don't know how I could ever sell my BCE stock, its a cash cow.

I think owning any of these companies is a good move...owning all of them is even better.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I'd stay out of all for now..... at least until this UBB and political game is over.
Liberals/NDP talking about removing ALL forms of UBB, making all carriers forced to unlock phones, etc. With government intervention likely happening, bad press is surrounding these companies. Look at what the government did to Shoppers Drug Mart...

·
Banned
580 Posts
Most people own the big 4 one way or the other, if its in the company pension, Canada pension, broad stock indexes etc. The profits go right back to Canadians anyhow, due to the foreign ownership rules

They got to be big and profitable by eating up any competition that came around. A lot of people don't even know that the big 4 own these players:
Fido, Chatr, Virgin Mobile, Solo Mobile, Loblaw's PC Mobile, etc
I bet once Tekksavy (a current competitor) builds up it's client base, guess what, they'll be added to the list.

OWN ALL 4

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Tek already launched their mobile product @ http://www.talksavvy.ca/. The website is quite terrible at explaining how to use it. You already need to have a mobile provider with unlimited local calling to any 5 numbers (my5, fab5 etc). When you purchase "TalkSavvy" you get a smartdevice app or PSTN number which you add to your unlimited 5 list, and use that to dial out. Essentially dialing twice, like using a calling card. I don't think they'll get many customers.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I think that Telus is the smartest telco out there right now. They are the only big player who hasn't decided to go into the content production side of things and focus on delivering on their core competency.

Hopefully they will stay away from trying to control everything on their network and just let people get to whatever content they want from whatever source they choose rather than waste money on making their own content.

For those who doubt, just look at the rise of Netflix here and Hulu in the U.S. for evidence that content agnostic delivery networks are what people want.

Disclaimer: I own some T in my portfolio.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I own Shaw, BCE, Rogers, and Telus stock. I think Telus has the most going for it with their new subscribers for cable.

Rogers has fallen out of favour. BCE is good, it'll keep moving every time they bump up the dividend or report good results. They're a big cash cow anyway.

I wish I never picked up Shaw but I only picked it up recently. I think it's too behind in technology.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Telus and BCE are excellent telecom stocks! I'll never buy Shaw.

I remember reading an article in Globe and Mail magazine http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-magazine/16k-a-day-pension-for-shaw-ceo-draws-ire/article1913638/
that explained how Jim Shaw had recently "retired" from his leadership position in the company as was now receiving $16,000 per day (yes... per day) as part of his retirement package. All this while the company struggles. There is no way I could, in good conscience, buy Shares in Shaw.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
BCE results beat estimates. BCE raises dividend (again), this time by 5%. Stock is up almost 2.5% ish..

Disclaimer: We own BCE.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I love Ma Bell.

I own a bunch of it and as long as they pay dividends, I always will own them. I like getting a steady paycheck as an investor.

I will also eventually own Telus. Just no cash to invest right now and Telus is priced too high at this time.

You can never go seriously wrong with buying and holding any of the major telcos: BCE, Telus and Rogers.

Nobody is going to get rid of their cable, internet or phone anytime soon.

Mark
http://www.myownadvisor.ca/

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I screwed up huge today.

I didn't know BCE was releasing earnings this morning and I bought 500 shares at $40.34.

I got my *** handed to me on a golden platter. My own fault for not knowing when the earnings release was. I saw the stock hit $40.30 and was down 50 cents and thought it was a good buy. Then when I got to work and saw the GlobeandMail, I realized they had an earnings release today and my jaw dropped, hit the floor, and came back to smack me in the head. By, then, it was too late.

Took a nice loss of $350.

1 - 20 of 388 Posts