Canadian Money Forum banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
I think many believe masks are a placebo and their mandated use is to keep us calm. Put a mask on in places like Midway or Rock Creek & people tend to roll their eyes and whisper to their friends. The absence of any Covid cases there does little to change their opinions.
Hence why mask usage and where it should be used, and not used, is an important regionalized/localized issue. FWIW, the CBC National interview with Dr Bonnie Henry yesterday was a good one. If people took some time to watch or read what she actually said, it would be recognized that mask use is "situational".

It won't change the outliers, i.e. the anti-maskers who exhibit IQs of 50 much of the time, or those wearing their masks in their vehicles, but it is a reasonable voice for the masses in between.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
I think we know how your political views slant your take on Canadians. Alberta has done a better job than most with Covid.
You think AB has done better than most? That's debatable. The per capita number of cases is higher than the Canadian average and also higher than the world average. Data source for all of this

Within Canada, the highest per capita infection rates are
Quebec 7,877 cases per million people
Alberta 3,718 ... the second highest infection rate
Ontario 3,258
and all provinces lower

Yes, AB is doing better than Quebec, but Alberta is doing worse than all neighbouring provinces. And I suspect that the anti-mask and "it's a hoax" sentiment, influenced by Americans, is a part of it.

^ those are on infection rates, so that looks at amount of infection spread. Alberta is doing poorly on the spread of infection.

I also calculated per capita rates of death. This might have more to do with age demographic differences between provinces and quality of healthcare. Alberta has the youngest population of the major provinces, so I wouldn't read too much into these stats.

Canada: 244 deaths per 1M pop
Quebec: 681
Ontario: 605
Alberta: 58
BC: 42

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Active cases has a lot to do with the rate of testing per capita as well. Alberta has a much larger testing per capita than does many provinces. Well ahead of BC for example. So active cases is not a good measure either unless it is correlated to testing rate as well. No need to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions with rhetoric and obvious bias against AB yet again. You are better than that. Perhaps post a revision to your post with correlation to testing rate?

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
Active cases has a lot to do with the rate of testing per capita as well. Alberta has a much larger testing per capita than does many provinces. Well ahead of BC for example. So active cases is not a good measure either unless it is correlated to testing rate as well. No need to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions with rhetoric and obvious bias against AB yet again. You are better than that. Perhaps redeem yourself with a revision to your post with correlation to testing rate?
I posted both infection rates and death rates. It's true that the rate of testing is a consideration as well. Alberta is the youngest of the major provinces and age demographics also have to be considered. All of this makes it hard to compare statistics.

Edit: looking at testing rates as well, with AB, ON, QC having the highest rates of testing, it seems like these are the only provinces one can (somewhat directly) compare. Based on the per capita infection rate, this put Alberta in the middle of the pack.

Alberta certainly seems to be doing OK compared to ON & QC

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Infection rates do not take into account frequency of testing. It is simply a measure of actual positive tests per million. If one doubled the frequency of testing per capita, the infection rate may be double per capita (probably not quite), but doubling the testing rate would capture a whole additional group of people with mild symptoms, or asymptomatic.

Added: Old data but here is an example BC has the lowest COVID-19 testing rate of any province in Canada

Better source is here Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada - Canada.ca Click on "Rate" in Figure 1. AB has almost the highest RATE of testing per capita of any province, almost 3 times that of BC.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
I think many believe masks are a placebo and their mandated use is to keep us calm. Put a mask on in places like Midway or Rock Creek & people tend to roll their eyes and whisper to their friends. The absence of any Covid cases there does little to change their opinions.

I saw several people in Costco yesterday in Calgary openly flaunting required mask usage by wearing none...about 20% were wearing their mask incorrectly either under their chin etc. Stupid law...should have been voluntary as those who buy into mask usage actually use them properly,those that don't might as well not wear one.

I won't judge either camp.
While there are some people, I'll call them a$$holes, who thumb their nose at the rule and wear the mask over their chin or not where it at all, I think you have a much broader swathe of the population who wouldn't wear a mask unless it was required, but go along with it to avoid sticking out and because they don't actually care that much. This is demonstrated by the impact of making masks mandatory here in the GTA. It went from maybe 10-20% mask wearing pre-mandate, to near 100%, with only a small percentage wearing them improperly. That delta are the 'indifferent middle' that needed the nudge to adopt the behaviour. It's kind of like littering. In a world where 50% of people litter, there is trash everywhere and you feel like you might as well litter as well. When the government strictly enforces anti-littering laws, the rate drops significantly, and most people don't want to be the a$$hole that puts the first piece of trash in the park. But there are inevitably still some selfish people out there, or people who rebel for its own sake.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
My advice. Protect yourself. The world is the way the world is. I have lived with moronic people all my life and managed to figure out a way to keep them from hurting me or getting in my way. I can't see why I should not be able to pull off the same feet with Covid-19.

The best thing I can say about stupid people is they are stupid. They should not be that big of obstacle to overcome.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
As @andrewf says, it's like littering laws. Or, laws that require seatbelts, and that prohibit driving under the influence.

Many people do these things without laws that prevent the behaviours. You simply can't rely on people to do the sensible thing on their own. Without laws against drinking and driving, a lot more people would get behind the wheel when drunk.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Infection rates do not take into account frequency of testing. It is simply a measure of actual positive tests per million.
You're right that this is a factor. Not sure if you saw my edit, but upon looking at the data again, I see that Alberta is more or less in the middle of the pack and doing OK compared to Ontario and Quebec

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
I suspect BC is likely at least double the numbers given its testing rate is almost as low as 1/3rd that of AB, in which case, about 3000+ cases per million. Not that much different.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Hence why mask usage and where it should be used, and not used, is an important regionalized/localized issue. FWIW, the CBC National interview with Dr Bonnie Henry yesterday was a good one. If people took some time to watch or read what she actually said, it would be recognized that mask use is "situational".
Thanks for mentioning this. I had not seen that interview, but located it here. I'm pasting it below.

It's a good interview. She's optimistic that we'll be in a much better place next summer, but we have to be patient. She says that mask usage is situational. Outside, or with lots of air or space in between people, you don't need a mask. But indoors, close contact, among people you don't know, where you can't maintain distance (e.g. shopping at a store) then you need a mask.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Yesterday Canada celebrated the first day in 6 months with zero deaths due to Covid...not sure what that means but its a tribute to our health care system and perhaps us cemetery fodder being more careful.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Yesterday Canada celebrated the first day in 6 months with zero deaths due to Covid...not sure what that means but its a tribute to our health care system and perhaps us cemetery fodder being more careful.
It's very good news. I'm also more optimistic about all of this after watching that Bonnie Henry interview.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Honestly I think people in these areas (notably Alberta) are just imitating American behaviour. If it wasn't for the right wing media coming from the USA, they wouldn't have these opinions.
Stop already with the non-stop whining about right wing media. You fall for every single left wing media lie so you certainly lack the ability to judge the media.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Looks like more than 1 vaccine available before year end...contrary to popular commentary

US drugmaker Pfizer's chief Albert Bourla on Sunday said it is ''likely'' the coronavirus vaccine will be deployed to all Americans by the end of this year.

Of course Canadians will wait till Ethiopia, Angola & us get our turn sometime in who knows.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Looks like more than 1 vaccine available before year end...contrary to popular commentary

US drugmaker Pfizer's chief Albert Bourla on Sunday said it is ''likely'' the coronavirus vaccine will be deployed to all Americans by the end of this year.

Of course Canadians will wait till Ethiopia, Angola & us get our turn sometime in who knows.
Trudeau is more concerned about censoring unflattering internet speech than taking care of Canadians.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts