Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone here can help answer this question, but I have carpet in my basement for which I am going to rip up and replace with vinyl planks. I came across DMC step 1 2.0 as underlayment and it comes highly recommended to keep moisture and cold dampness at a minimum.

My question is has anyone used this product?

Would you still recommend it with 5 mm vinyl planks?

DMX plastics suggests similar to Vinyl) to keep a certain gap between the wall and underlayment so air underneath can escape, but I am going to do trim work along the wall with corner rounds so this will likely cover this gap, would this be an issue? Can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere. The manufacturer support line is always busy - seems like this is a popular product or they have terrible customer support.

I am not very handy person but will attempt to do this myself so any recommendations, suggestions, etc would be helpful!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if anyone here can help answer this question, but I have carpet in my basement for which I am going to rip up and replace with vinyl planks. I came across DMC step 1 2.0 as underlayment and it comes highly recommended to keep moisture and cold dampness at a minimum.

My question is has anyone used this product?

Would you still recommend it with 5 mm vinyl planks?

DMX plastics suggests similar to Vinyl) to keep a certain gap between the wall and underlayment so air underneath can escape, but I am going to do trim work along the wall with corner rounds so this will likely cover this gap, would this be an issue? Can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere. The manufacturer support line is always busy - seems like this is a popular product or they have terrible customer support.

I am not very handy person but will attempt to do this myself so any recommendations, suggestions, etc would be helpful!

Ok, so I literally just went through this, about 6 months ago I put that EXACT underlay under vinyl plank, all the vinyl plank separated over time. The underlay was too soft and thick, so when you walked on it the floor flexed slightly which caused gaps all over the place. I contacted the manufacturer and they were like nope, you can't use that.

I did the other half of my basement with vinyl plank with underlay attached, manufacturer said I could NOT put any other underlay in addition to that. We were worried the floor would be cold, but in the end it has been fine.

Moral of the story is this, I have no idea what floor you should use that DMX with, but it's definitely not any vinyl plank I could find.

I hope that helps! Because now I have to remove that flooring!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I literally just went through this, about 6 months ago I put that EXACT underlay under vinyl plank, all the vinyl plank separated over time. The underlay was too soft and thick, so when you walked on it the floor flexed slightly which caused gaps all over the place. I contacted the manufacturer and they were like nope, you can't use that.

I did the other half of my basement with vinyl plank with underlay attached, manufacturer said I could NOT put any other underlay in addition to that. We were worried the floor would be cold, but in the end it has been fine.

Moral of the story is this, I have no idea what floor you should use that DMX with, but it's definitely not any vinyl plank I could find.

I hope that helps! Because now I have to remove that flooring!
[/QUOTE

Was the dmx plastics 2.0? I heard version 1.0 had those issues but now 2.0 came out to address it as long as those vinyl Planks are not less than 5 mm thick. Curious how think your vinyl Planks are because this is exactly what I am concerned about too

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Go with the thickest floor you can find / afford. I purchased the DMX airflow but haven't installed it yet. I'm in the drywall stage of my basement reno.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with the thickest floor you can find / afford. I purchased the DMX airflow but haven't installed it yet. I'm in the drywall stage of my basement reno.
yeah, the thickest I could find at a reasonable price ($3 per sqft) was 7 mm. I found 10 mm one at a special flooring store but at $7 per sqft - way too much. I am hoping to go a little above the 5 mm recommended thickness will do the trick...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
yeah, the thickest I could find at a reasonable price ($3 per sqft) was 7 mm. I found 10 mm one at a special flooring store but at $7 per sqft - way too much. I am hoping to go a little above the 5 mm recommended thickness will do the trick...
I wouldn't go any less than 7mm. I have friends that used 12mm water resistant laminate over DMX and it worked great - no noise, etc. My basement is bone dry but I'd still prefer to go the vinyl route if I can find a thick, rigid plank that is reasonably priced. I plan on getting some samples before I make the purchase. I have close to 2000 sq/ft of flooring so I don't want to screw it up!

The other thing to keep in mind is that not all 5 or 7mm vinyl flooring is created equal - inspect the layers, rigidity, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't go any less than 7mm. I have friends that used 12mm water resistant laminate over DMX and it worked great - no noise, etc. My basement is bone dry but I'd still prefer to go the vinyl route if I can find a thick, rigid plank that is reasonably priced. I plan on getting some samples before I make the purchase. I have close to 2000 sq/ft of flooring so I don't want to screw it up!

The other thing to keep in mind is that not all 5 or 7mm vinyl flooring is created equal - inspect the layers, rigidity, etc.
Thanks! Will do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts