Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Situation: Last year I received some income from a foreign country that I was planning on reporting as "Other income" (federal line 130). On CRA's website, they suggest that I convert it into Canadian dollars using the Bank of Canada's annual rate (I'd post the link, but I can't do that yet as a new user).

Problem: CoB only reports annual rates for 26 currencies and this currency is not one of them! How am I supposed to go about this? Contact BoC and ask?

Many thanks if someone has any advice.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
BoC won't reply to you. Try another source like XE.com, Transferwise, etc. for an approximation, if not a precisely accurate average annual rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BoC won't reply to you. Try another source like XE.com, Transferwise, etc. for an approximation, if not a precisely accurate average annual rate.
Thanks so much AltaRed. You really helped me. Just on thing, in case you know: Does this go on line 130 (other income) or 104 (other employment income)? It's a grant from a research foundation.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Does this go on line 130 (other income) or 104 (other employment income)? It's a grant from a research foundation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-104-other-employment-income.html

Other employment income can be one or more of the following:
Net research grants
My reading is that this would be a box 104 amount, but it would be net of the research expenses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts