Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For those of you with kids, what is the going rate for a babysitter/nanny? We're considering hiring one part time over the summer (University student) and we're unsure as to the going rates.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
In Winnipeg daycare is $18.80 per day, but if we hire a sitter outright in instances similar to yours, we pay her $50/day. If it's fairly long term (ie by the week) I would work out a weekly rate with her, expecially if you're feeding the sitter and paying for outings etc.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention when we hire a sitter hourly we pay $5/hr but we realize thats way cheaper than most.... $8 to $10/hr is pretty average here.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Probably one reason why taxes in Québec are so high is because subsidized daycare is available for all. Here you pay $7 per child per DAY. Almost makes me want to have kids! (Almost)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
We pay $530 per month for our 5-year old boys and $1030 for our 18 m.o. daughter. The boys are dropped off at their kindergarten next door during the school year. A daycare w/o school costs $730 for children 30 months and older here in Ottawa.

These are not subsidized spots. There is a long waiting list for subsidized spaces. You have to register pretty much on your first date if you want a subsidized spot :)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I know I am taking this off-topic but ONE change to the tax code that I would have appreciated over the past 8 years is indexation of the child care deduction to inflation.

All that said, I am taking my kids out of daycare this August because they will both be in full-day school at that point, and my husband and I will arrange our schedules so that one of us is with them (with some support periodically from my friends and neighbours locally, I expect).

Honestly, it's like receiving a relatively huge raise to put an end to that monthly expense.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
And reaching way back to Brad's earlier comment about the low daycare rates "almost" making him want to have kids - you realize that's why those low rates exist, right? To resupply Quebec's store of human capital.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Toronto rates are approximately $10 for a nanny or babysitter.

Note that he did not ask for daycare rates - this is a totally different thing and you cannot compare the two.

·
Banned
321 Posts
We pay $530 per month for our 5-year old boys and $1030 for our 18 m.o. daughter. The boys are dropped off at their kindergarten next door during the school year. A daycare w/o school costs $730 for children 30 months and older here in Ottawa.

These are not subsidized spots. There is a long waiting list for subsidized spaces. You have to register pretty much on your first date if you want a subsidized spot :)
can you throw more light on what and how daycare is subsidized?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Some cities (mine included) provide subsidized daycare financed by property taxes. Eligibility can be determined by household assets or household income (in Toronto it used to be determined by assets and is now determined by income).

In order to find out more, you'd need to check with the municipal government wherever you live.

As for the thread slipping from nanny/babysitting rates to daycare costs, it was Evil Brad who sent us off course, and I will give him 40 lashes with a wet noodle that I have boiled in the lake at my cottage!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Right. And as for the "how" daycare is subsidized - my experience is from Toronto, where I was the treasurer on the parent-board-run daycare for my kids for two years.

In the case of Toronto, a family's eligibility for subsidized daycare is based on an assessment by the city (there's an online calculator which gives subsidy rates by household income using line 236 on your income tax return). A family may receive partial or full subsidy from the City. The family pays whatever portion of their fee is assessed directly to the daycare centre, and the City pays the remaining fraction.

Subsidy is ONLY available for licensed daycare centres which have an operating agreement with the City of Toronto, and only for people working full-time and earning or projected to earn at least a full-time minimum wage (so, no private or in-home daycare arrangements).

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
As for the thread slipping from nanny/babysitting rates to daycare costs, it was Evil Brad who sent us off course, and I will give him 40 lashes with a wet noodle that I have boiled in the lake at my cottage!
Guilty as charged, awaiting wet-noodle lashing. ;-)

I saw the word "daycare" in the first response from Addy and my heat-addled mind distorted the topic from babysitting to daycare. Maybe it's time for another hot fudge sundae! :D

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Hmm so if you have 2 kids you are laughing in Quebec even with the outrageous income taxes

What are they trying to do sustain a culture or something :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts