Canadian Money Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
And so it ends: Exclusive: Canada's Couche-Tard drops US$20 billion Carrefour takeover plan - source

"Food security is strategic for our country so that's why we don't sell a big French retailer. My answer is extremely clear: we are not in favour of the deal. The no is polite but it's a clear and final no," Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said.

Now, if it were only a matter of Couche Tard only interested in the convenience stores, and spun off the supermarket side, do you think they could have worked out a deal? It would be more in-line with their business model and probably get a toehold in Europe.
Couche Tard has a pretty big business in Europe, no--Scandinavia, etc.?

With antics like this, I wonder if we should require French firms to divest all their assets in Canada. Alstom bought Bombardier's rail business.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Couche Tard has a pretty big business in Europe, no--Scandinavia, etc.?

With antics like this, I wonder if we should require French firms to divest all their assets in Canada. Alstom bought Bombardier's rail business.
Looking at the Wikipedia, it looks like Couche-Tard bought Statoil Fuel & Retail, which accounts for their Scandinavian presence. With Circle K they have some minor European presence, but nothing major in western Europe, much less the presence that Carrefour has.

A bit late for that. We've done this sort of thing before when it comes to China.

But as an aside, Ottawa bought their LRT trains from Alstom... maybe they should have went with Bombardier, but that's a moot point now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
They already have a presence in Europe and growing. Not sure why we are that surprised France has rejected. Quebec also has special rules and any bid for ATD would be rejected by the government. Hopefully they can pick off their convenience stores.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
They already have a presence in Europe and growing. Not sure why we are that surprised France has rejected. Quebec also has special rules and any bid for ATD would be rejected by the government. Hopefully they can pick off their convenience stores.
Not that I disagree that we shouldn't be surprised, but Quebec hasn't been very successful on blocking bids. Bombardier obviously went without protest, but the takeover of Rona by Lowe's was contested, and it still went through. Rona's tragedy in three acts: From Quebec's foreign takeover block, to deal with Lowe's, to store closures

Edit: Also to point out, Quebec blocked it the first time by actually buying enough of Rona to block the vote. France didn't buy a controlling share of Carrefour, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have held these guys for at least 5 years in my tfsa and been happy with their execution. So on the dip with the most recent turmoil I viewed it as this stock going on sale and reinforced my existing position.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Alimentation Couche-Tard boosts dividend even as profits slip in latest quarter (msn.com)

a 4.5% drop today and a dividend increase. Was near 52 week highs yesterday and is only back to where it was a couple weeks ago. I have always had a hard time finding an entry point for this stock. It has been on my watch list for years.
I know. I love it when a company boosts the dividend and the market doesn't like it. I remember I held a very small entry position in ATD.B last year, but wanted more in the Consumer Staples sector, and missed the rare opportunity in Mar 2020 when it dipped to the $32 range, but then I was able to get a full position in Jan 2021 this year at $37.72. A good company for sure.

Myself, any of my Canadian stocks with a dividend under about 2.5%, I generally consider dividend growth, even though they pay a small dividend, most of their earnings are plowed back in. There's not a lot of them to choose from. The ones I own in Canada, and their dividend yield, such that I consider them dividend growth are ATD.B = 0.91%, CCL.B = 1.3%, DOL = 0.35%, MRU = 1.6%, SAP = 2.4%, CNR = 1.48%, CP = 0.8%.

ltr

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I know. I love it when a company boosts the dividend and the market doesn't like it. I remember I held a very small entry position in ATD.B last year, but wanted more in the Consumer Staples sector, and missed the rare opportunity in Mar 2020 when it dipped to the $32 range, but then I was able to get a full position in Jan 2021 this year at $37.72. A good company for sure.

Myself, any of my Canadian stocks with a dividend under about 2.5%, I generally consider dividend growth, even though they pay a small dividend, most of their earnings are plowed back in. There's not a lot of them to choose from. The ones I own in Canada, and their dividend yield, such that I consider them dividend growth are ATD.B = 0.91%, CCL.B = 1.3%, DOL = 0.35%, MRU = 1.6%, SAP = 2.4%, CNR = 1.48%, CP = 0.8%.

ltr
Saputo is one that I haven't followed as of late but just did a quick look and it is trading at 2015-2016 share price. Am going to take closer look.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts