Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Should not be any difference. Don't know why they would do a split. Odd lots are not a big issue any more for those who cannot buy in multiples of 100 shares.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Thanks Red :)
At one time, odd lots were difficult to execute, making it more difficult for retail investors to buy sufficient numbers of shares. Doing a 2 for 1 split, thereby halving the share price, supposedly made the company's shares more accessible and thus an opportunity for share price growth. That is no longer the case (or shouldn't be) and thus why so many companies* now have share prices well in excess of $100. It costs the companies money to do a share split, so bottom line, I have no f*ing idea why ATD.B is doing what it is doing. As a shareholder myself, I am pissed. It isn't as if$80/share is excessive. There are better ways to spend shareholder money.

* Example: FFH at $592. No difference between 20 shares at $592, or 40 shares at $296 or 100 shares at $118.40

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
How many shares, if any, of Berkshire Hathaway can you buy if you wanted to?

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Hard to know. Their Circle K roll out continues and they are likely gearing up for more acquisitions. There is huge consolidation potential in this business.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For one I would not want to bet on long term tobacco sales. And the competition bureaus have a habit of limiting your gas station market share. I note they were shopping around in Australia this year, but lost out on the latest bid.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Tobacco seems to be stuck in the 15-20% range for a long time. A slow decline is inevitable but unfortunately may never drop below 10%. There is lots of room to roam in the USA yet. I'd be more concerned about conversion to EV (vs gasoline sales) than store sales.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, EV's will definitely be huge within the next two decades. From a market and technological standpoint, I would lean toward the far end of that timeframe. But I fear a drastic climate-change administration in the US can greatly tip the scales against combustion engines. ATD have good locations for charging stations, but they might not have enough real estate realistically. It think maybe grocery stores / supercenters / malls with their large lots can easily install a lot of charging stations and give the customers something to do for 30 minutes while their cars are charging.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It think maybe grocery stores / supercenters / malls with their large lots can easily install a lot of charging stations and give the customers something to do for 30 minutes while their cars are charging.
Why would people be charging their cars at a mall. Won't we all be charging our cars overnight at home, and that will get us through the day?

ltr

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Those who are on road trips will have to charge enroute. Operators like ATD.B will likely expand their store offerings to eateries and entertainment/gaming centres. The bigger challenge will be neighborhood stations where none of the locals will need to charge (apartment dwellers aside).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, that'll work for many people.

Some possible reasons:
Not everyone has a garage or even a driveway.
You were on a trip away from home.
You forgot to plug it in the night before.
You might exceed the 150 km / 200 km (fair-weather) range.
You have two cars and only one charger, etc.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yeah, that'll work for many people.

Some possible reasons:
Not everyone has a garage or even a driveway.
You were on a trip away from home.
You forgot to plug it in the night before.
You might exceed the 150 km / 200 km (fair-weather) range.
You have two cars and only one charger, etc.
Yeah, those all make sense. I use to live downtown for about 5 years at one time and none of the houses had driveways (as they were built before cars were invented - many downtown areas are like this). I had to buy a permit and so I was allowed to park anywhere on the street. I often wonder how electric cars will work for those people?

ltr

·
Registered
404 Posts
actually in toronto a guy got permission to put in front yard pad to charge his otherwise on street parked electric car. expect that to be contentious

but yes, we own this as a consumer staple stock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ATD has a large presence in Europe so will be interesting to see how a move EV change the business.
They own a high % of locations that would not doubt is undervalued.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts