Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going Business class to Asia this winter. I guess we can afford it but it's still difficult to part with 9k vs 1.5k for a 16 (12/4) hr flight. Is it really worth that much to avoid a sore butt? We normally can't sleep on a plane anyways so maybe it's a waste.

How do you guys justify or rationalize the expense ?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Anything over 2.5 hours merits serious consideration, IMHO. But I’m 6’2” and arthritic. Maybe see if there is a Premium Economy offering? It is sometimes available as an option, depending on the aircraft. I have found it to be okay providing I’m not stuck against a bulkhead.

·
Registered
11,730 Posts
We have been flying business class for anything over about 4 hours since retirement about 15 years ago, and especially anything overnight. We like our cubes and flat 'beds' for sleeping and avoids us wasting most of that first day after we land. With Westjet 737s, the best we can do is the Plus for flights to/from Hawaii as an example which at least gives us more legroom and wider seats.

Life is simply too short for old(er) bodies to suffer.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
We opt for exit row on shorthaul flights, and business class on overseas flights. We just budget the flight costs in the total budget and it is usually 4 weeks or more.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
We do a combo depending on how we feel about it and the pricing model. We have had six winters in SE Asia/Australia. Going to Bangkok or KL is two longer flights-usually 10 and 8 hours. Often we go economy. If we fly to Singapore it is 17 hours- we fly business. with a cube. Coming back from Australia we do economy but we fly to Hawaii for a few days, then home there. I always take an exit row seat so we try to get a flight with 2X2. DW wants window. Sometimes we sit apart. Not a biggie for either of us. As far a money...we just budget for it. We typically go for 8-9 weeks so in the scheme of things it is just another budget item. Same when we go to Europe. We typically stop in Toronto so the flight is much shorter. I prefer Transat to Europe with exit row seating, preferably bulkhead exit row seating.

If you are going to Asia...our favorite carrier is Korean Air (have not tried Cathay) through Seoul. Excellent service, very good air terminal for changing. We try to avoid Untied/ANA and avoid Narita. Going through HK is fine as well. If we cannot get Korean Delta has fairly good service. Sometimes the ticket says Delta but it is a code share with Korean. Friends also recommend EVA. It may depend on your departure city. We typically have to take a short flight to a west coast departure city.

The return or open jaw fares we typically see range from $775-$1100 for economy and $4500- $6000 for business. But...we are very flexible on the days we fly. This can sometimes make a difference especially around Lunar New Year.

We do not feel like we need to justify any purchase to ourselves at this point in our lives. It comes down to if we want to incur the expenditure and can we afford it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If one dwells on how rich one is, and how much suffering the flight will be, I could see how they might decide to spend $7,500 for a 16 hour improved experience (still a bad experience). I've personally paid the $100 or whatever for the "better" economy seat and felt good about it...

But on the other hand, instead of dwelling on the suffering and richness, if you simply say inside: "I am requiring myself to spend an extra $7,500 on something for myself or someone I know" I really struggle to see how you could ever conclude that the $9,000 plane ticket is the right thing to get...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
If one dwells on how rich one is, and how much suffering the flight will be, I could see how they might decide to spend $7,500 for a 16 hour improved experience (still a bad experience). I've personally paid the $100 or whatever for the "better" economy seat and felt good about it...

But on the other hand, instead of dwelling on the suffering and richness, if you simply say inside: "I am requiring myself to spend an extra $7,500 on something for myself or someone I know" I really struggle to see how you could ever conclude that the $9,000 plane ticket is the right thing to get...
In our experience Premium economy seats are available. The return fares for these seats that we have seen in the past ranged from $2400-$3200. Slightly more than a $200 upcharge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In our experience Premium economy seats are available. The return fares for these seats that we have seen in the past ranged from $2400-$3200. Slightly more than a $200 upcharge.
There are usually double for YVR to Bangkok, but now they are about triple (750 to 2100) for 2 inch more width - not good value at all. An economy aisle seat would be almost as good

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don’t care much about seat width, it’s the additional legroom that clinches the deal for me. So either Premium Economy or an exit row seat can sometimes work. Plus, I always get an aisle seat.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thinking about going Business class to Asia this winter. I guess we can afford it but it's still difficult to part with 9k vs 1.5k for a 16 (12/4) hr flight. Is it really worth that much to avoid a sore butt? We normally can't sleep on a plane anyways so maybe it's a waste.

You can't take it with you and you only live once. Go for it.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts

It's more than a sore butt.
It matters what your budget is, like others point out, if it impedes your activities for a day or two that is a factor.
As I learn more, I lean towards paying a bit to improve the travel experience.

That's actually the logic behind businesses paying for business class or flying at prime travel times, and even corporate jets. Losing out on productivity to save a few bucks on travel is bad resource allocation.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I do not understand this business of justifying it. IF you want to fly business class, are willing to pay the price, and can afford it isn't that all that really matters. The rest is noise level from people who have different opinions, different financial resources, or who are at different stages of their lives.

Go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts