Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I look at multi-year charts of investments with 'moving averages', which smooth the prices. I think it gives a better picture of what the asset is doing in the long term without getting caught up on short term price volatility.

Here are some 5 year charts of various investment assets on a CAD basis, showing only the 100 day exponential moving average. This basically smooths the price over a couple month time frame. Dividends and distributions are included, so it's total return.

To me it looks like all of these would have been solid investments over the span of a few years. I invest in all of these.

Canada, TSX (XIC)

US, S&P 500 (ZSP)

Bonds (XBB)

Gold bullion (CGL.C)

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here's a link so that you can generate your charts in the same style: example chart XIC.TO
The price 'Type' is set to invisible, but you can also set it to Line if you want to see it.

Another fun one, Canada's tech sector:

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I use moving averages all the time, along with candlestick charts. The MA gives a good impression of trends and a moving average cross is a classic technical signal. I don't have much knack for math but can follow a pretty picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts