Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I see a lot of reference on this forum to "Argo's 5-Pack". I just want to confirm that this is referring to one of his posts back in January 2012 (http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php/10219-Canadian-dividend-paying-stocks), where the 5-pack is outlined as below and nothing has changed since 2012.

1x Telecom: BCE, Telus
1x Bank: TD, BNS
1x Pipeline: ENB, TRP, IPL.UN
1x REIT: REI.UN, REF.UN
1x Utility: FTS, EMA, CU

Thanks!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can also check out this portfolio which is very similar.

http://theglobeandmail.com/globe-in...zls-model-dividend-portfolio/article15722679/

He has 2x

I think the REIT is optional

I've also heard analysts on BNN talk about
1x utility
1x bank
1x telecom
1x pipeline

What has changed?
Rogers is one of the cheaper telecoms right now.
CU is not preforming well right now but next year looks better
Pipelines are expensive
BNS just announced closing some stores.

FTS
RCI-b
TD (or any)
And ENB might be your top 4 picks

This is what I'm also doing to my core canadian positions.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey all,

I see a lot of reference on this forum to "Argo's 5-Pack". I just want to confirm that this is referring to one of his posts back in January 2012 (http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php/10219-Canadian-dividend-paying-stocks), where the 5-pack is outlined as below and nothing has changed since 2012.

1x Telecom: BCE, Telus
1x Bank: TD, BNS
1x Pipeline: ENB, TRP, IPL.UN
1x REIT: REI.UN, REF.UN
1x Utility: FTS, EMA, CU

Thanks!!

hey :peach:

it was always paramount to argo that investors be flexible in their choices. You've already shown this by picking up that, way back in 2012, argo was suggesting a pair of stocks or even more, in each category.

what was important to the navigator is that investors be diversified & also that they research their small number of stellar picks very carefully. He never meant readers to slavishly follow his list, he just wanted his list to illustrate his quality-selection approach.

missing among argo's sectors are consumer stocks & pharmaceutical/health stocks, probably because they are generally sparse among canadian companies. Investors can compensate for these with a US stock or even a US sector ETF, though.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I put my daughter in a 3 pack, a variation inspired by the 5 pack thread, even she can figure out how to re balance it.

RY
BCE
TRP

All 3 own a lot of real estate so the exposure is there, TRP & BCE both are part utility.

I promised that she will retire a millionaire in 28 years as she contributes $500/month + her employer matches the $500. If she is short in $28 years the deal is I will top up the missing $$$'s haha.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
^^

what a wonderful story. Her employer is contributing $500 per month to a stock portfolio that she picks & runs herself? lucky girl. Great employer. Absolutely great father.

it's a paradigm story for every family trying to nurture an emerging investor. We should dream up a catchy name for this (believe it or not, i'm the party who named argo's list the Argo 5-Pack) (years ago) (the name stuck)

Eder's something ... with a tri or the number three?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.