Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy retweeted this:

I hear (and read) a lot of abuse for the Liberals on how they have managed the economy. You could argue that the chart above is cherrypicked and not representative of the way the Libs have pulled the levers on Canada's resources and wealth over the past several years. The global picture isn't great at this point in time, but is our country faring better than most? Are you doing well in your own financial situation because of existing government policies? I'll say this, I'm a big fan of the TFSA and it was brought in under Stephen Harper's Conservatives in 2009.

Regardless, @HappilyRetired makes an appearance to compliment Justin Trudeau in 3, 2, 1...

:p

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Economic outcomes speak for themselves.

Solid GDP growth that enables spending on comprehensive social programs and deficit reduction.

Comfortable level of debt to GDP, restructured at record low interest rates, giving Canada a AAA credit rating.

Fully funded CPP retirement program. Universal health care system.

Rated as best country in the world to live in.

I think the Liberals have done a very good job with the economy and setting Canada up for the future.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
One word: oil. If you want to give credit o government for increased oil export (in $$) then go for it.

And above post is just laughable. But then again, it came from a man who thinks inflation is good for GICs so not unexpected.

In top 10 in the world among highest debt/gdp. Interest payments rose significantly in Q1.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Government is reporting gaining 1 billion a month in surplus and rising.

Your claims of Canada’s demise are greatly exaggerated, but that is your modus operandi.

It is all good…. Canada strong !

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
A buddy retweeted this:
Then you need better friends.

I hear (and read) a lot of abuse for the Liberals on how they have managed the economy. You could argue that the chart above is cherrypicked and not representative of the way the Libs have pulled the levers on Canada's resources and wealth over the past several years. The global picture isn't great at this point in time, but is our country faring better than most? Are you doing well in your own financial situation because of existing government policies? I'll say this, I'm a big fan of the TFSA and it was brought in under Stephen Harper's Conservatives in 2009.

Regardless, @HappilyRetired makes an appearance to compliment Justin Trudeau in 3, 2, 1...
I'm doing well in spite of government policies.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Government is reporting gaining 1 billion a month in surplus and rising.

Your claims of Canada’s demise are greatly exaggerated, but that is your modus operandi.

It is all good…. Canada strong !
You do realize that is always the case? First half of the year looks good in public finances, and 2nd half of the year is far worse, with 4Q having highest deficit? - this is perfectly normal, but I am not sure you are aware of it.

They really aren't. Canadian gross GDP debt (not to be confused with net GDP which your idol for some reason uses to compare to other countries, either being disingenuous or being stupid enough to not actually know that it is apples to oranges comparison) is one of the worst in the world, and interest payments grew by double digits yoy

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Freeland's biography is very impressive. Trudeau was wise to appoint her as Finance Minister and Deputy PM.

Freeland is ready to step up to PM, when Trudeau decides to retire.

As of yesterday (Aug 2, 2022) Trudeau was exactly 3 years behind Harper for duration as a PM.

He may plan to retire after he passes Harper in August 2025.. The next scheduled election is October 20, 2025.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
The Liberals have a track record since 2015 and voters will make a judgement on that, compared to the policies the CPC will bring to the table.

It will be interesting with Pierre P as the leader. At some point he will have to present credible fiscal policies to voters that work in real life.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I expect that it will be much better in the future after the Governor of the Bank of Canada is fired, when Canada moves to Bitcoin and becomes a world headquarters for Bitcoin, and of course by then inflation will have been wrestled to the ground. That is, when PP becomes PM.

After all, PP does possess an bachelor undergraduate degree in political science and commerce so we can leave this in his capable hands. He is apparently wise beyond his years when it comes to this.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A single quote in which moving to Bitcoin as official currency is proposed would be appreciated.

I think we can both agree that PP would not be a good finance minister. Political science and commerce degree are only slightly better than russian studies degree for that position

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
A single quote in which moving to Bitcoin as official currency is proposed would be appreciated.

I think we can both agree that PP would not be a good finance minister. Political science and commerce degree are only slightly better than russian studies degree for that position
I think we can all agree that the primary benefit to PP is that he's not JT, that's good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts