Canadian Money Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this a lot. Its like a rental disease. Its unfortunate but its also caused by management that is not closely involved with the renter. Also if a renter is a pig they need to go. They're expected to keep up appearances and if they don't they go. After a while you write up more and more rules to keep order. You learn by experience and the house gets better and better. Also its important to have an open ear to the neighbors. They don't want problems and you don't want problems. You both can work together in getting rid of problem renters. They can be your external eyes.
. .. a slumlord's dream.

Why the hell do your neigbours want "your" problems.

I'm amazed of your expectation that the "neighbours" should be working "together" on "your" problem of renting to pigs. Do your neighbours get a cut on your rent to "work with/for you"?

Your attitude here reminds me of a slumlord (only it's a slum-b1tch) 2 streets down (thank God, not next door to her but not far enough away), harassing her neighbours on both sides of her slumhouse and telling people that they're not allowed to use the sidewalk on her side of the street.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Why the hell do your neigbours want "your" problems.
They don't. I said they don't.

I'm amazed of your expectation that the "neighbours" should be working "together" on "your" problem of renting to pigs. Do your neighbours get a cut on your rent to "work with/for you"?
I'm just saying they can work with you. Renting a house is not illegal so there's nothing they can do from stopping you from doing it. Smart people work within their constraints for the best possible outcome. If they see a problem they want it fixed. I want to know about that problem. They call me and I fix the problem faster than if they didn't call me.

Your attitude here reminds me of a slumlord (only it's a slum-b1tch) 2 streets down (thank God, not next door to her but not far enough away), harassing her neighbours on both sides of her slumhouse and telling people that they're not allowed to use the sidewalk on her side of the street.
Well that's insane. Sorry for your proximity to madness.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
They don't. I said they don't.
... you shouldn't even have said "they" meaning your neighbours "don't want any problem" because it's NOT THEIR (your neighbour's problem). It's you, the slumlord's problem. It's the slumlord''s responsibility to ensure its tenants don't become pigs or a nuisance to their neighbours. What part do you not get that your neighbours have rights too.

I'm just saying they can work with you.
... no, they don't have to work "with" you. Why do you insist they "can work" with you? On what? being your external eyes ? (I missed that part.) Watch the place whilst you're sleeping sound-fully whilst your neighbours have to put up withe loud music, garbage and what ever other pig craps. And whilst your only concern is when are the next rent payments. If you think your neighbours are your employee or you buddy, it's only in your dream.

Renting a house is not illegal so there's nothing they can do from stopping you from doing it.
... no, one or 2 room. But with your fantasy to get "ideas" here to get as many tenants rent in as smallest space available and trying to bypass the bylaws, that's ILLEGAL.

Smart people work within their constraints for the best possible outcome. If they see a problem they want it fixed. I want to know about that problem. They call me and I fix the problem faster than if they didn't call me.
... right, slumlords are every so smart. ... always scheming.

Well that's insane. Sorry for your proximity to madness.
... well, alot of slumlords here in Toronto are like that. And you don't have to feel sorry for me. If you have any decency, stop coming up with these scheming rental ideas/sh1t.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
... you shouldn't even have said "they" meaning your neighbours "don't want any problem" because it's NOT THEIR (your neighbour's problem). It's you, the slumlord's problem. It's the slumlord''s responsibility to ensure its tenants don't become pigs or a nuisance to their neighbours. What part do you not get that your neighbours have rights too.
You are acting like house rental is always a foolproof, totally quiet, non-disruptive activity in almost all neighborhoods. Its not. Problems arise. If I was the neighbor I'd want to be able to call the owner. Does that sound unreasonable? The main problem with slumlords is they are disconnected from their properties and don't respond to problems. This the opposite reaction to problems.

> I'm just saying they can work with you.
... no, they don't have to work "with" you.
I said "can". You said "have". I'm simply offering to be in touch. Have you ever managed property before?

Watch the place whilst you're sleeping sound-fully whilst your neighbours have to put up withe loud music, garbage and what ever other pig craps.
If tenants did that I'd be notified and I'd get rid of them fast.

And whilst your only concern is when are the next rent payments.
I am the opposite of that. I am involved. In most cases I would be living there so none of this would happen in the first place! I guess you've had some awful experiences with some landlords.

... no, one or 2 room. But with your fantasy to get "ideas" here to get as many tenants rent in as smallest space available and trying to bypass the bylaws, that's ILLEGAL.
I have repeatedly stated this has to be legal and abide by all zoning laws to work. I'm not trying to bypass anything.

> Well that's insane. Sorry for your proximity to madness.
... well, alot of slumlords here in Toronto are like that.
You have my sympathies. I'm not in Toronto or Vancouver. In the rest of the country real estate is less frenzied. Probably a lot easier to make it work when land doesn't cost a fortune per square meter. I can't imagine investing in such a place. Especially not knowing if COVID will drag on and on.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
You are acting like house rental is always a foolproof, totally quiet, non-disruptive activity in almost all neighborhoods. Its not. Problems arise.
... no, you're expecting your all your tenants are going to be quiet, non-disruptive, like well-behaved kindergarteners because pappa slumlord is going to evict them when the neighbours complain about the slumhouse. So I'm expecting the opposite and will act accordingly.

If I was the neighbor I'd want to be able to call the owner. Does that sound unreasonable?
... do you think the owner being a slumlord cares for your calls/complaints when he/she doesn't even care about the bylaws. Does that sound reasonable to you being a neighbour?

The main problem with slumlords is they are disconnected from their properties and don't respond to problems. This the opposite reaction to problems.
... you make it sound like you're going to be loving grandpa landlord ... until the rent payments have problems ... and then there're the upkeeps/fixing on the place, insurance, fire code compliance, roof /basement leaks, pest control, etc.... all these cost money and meanwhile the rent pot is shrinking ... then it's time to be a slumlord.

If tenants did that I'd be notified and I'd get rid of them fast.
... right ... and meanwhile your units sit empty and no money man.

I am the opposite of that. I am involved. In most cases I would be living there so none of this would happen in the first place! I guess you've had some awful experiences with some landlords.
.. perhaps, in the first or 2 years ... and the novelty wears off. Oh, time for the slumlord suit.

I have repeatedly stated this has to be legal and abide by all zoning laws to work. I'm not trying to bypass anything.
... then, go seek out a lawyer as previously mentioned and go through the laws with him/her instead of here asking for "ideas". Duh.

You have my sympathies. I'm not in Toronto or Vancouver. In the rest of the country real estate is less frenzied. Probably a lot easier to make it work when land doesn't cost a fortune per square meter. I can't imagine investing in such a place. Especially not knowing if COVID will drag on and on.
... yeah, and you can drop the rent to keep your tenants. Can't have both the cake and icing being a landlord. I have never been a residential landlord but a commercial one. The latter goes by the laws of the lease whereas the former don't.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Good luck evicting people for merely being untidy. Maybe in fantasyland.
You know what I mean. If they are expected to mow the grass and let it grow and grow, if there's garage strewn about, etc. If they make it an eyesore they would be evicted because they are not living as they said they would live.
... no, you're expecting your all your tenants are going to be quiet, non-disruptive, like well-behaved kindergarteners because pappa slumlord is going to evict them when the neighbours complain about the slumhouse. So I'm expecting the opposite and will act accordingly.

... do you think the owner being a slumlord cares for your calls/complaints when he/she doesn't even care about the bylaws. Does that sound reasonable to you being a neighbour?

... you make it sound like you're going to be loving grandpa landlord ... until the rent payments have problems ... and then there're the upkeeps/fixing on the place, insurance, fire code compliance, roof /basement leaks, pest control, etc.... all these cost money and meanwhile the rent pot is shrinking ... then it's time to be a slumlord.

... right ... and meanwhile your units sit empty and no money man.

.. perhaps, in the first or 2 years ... and the novelty wears off. Oh, time for the slumlord suit.

... then, go seek out a lawyer as previously mentioned and go through the laws with him/her instead of here asking for "ideas". Duh.

... yeah, and you can drop the rent to keep your tenants. Can't have both the cake and icing being a landlord. I have never been a residential landlord but a commercial one. The latter goes by the laws of the lease whereas the former don't.
Yeah I thought as much. Your experience is in a different world and you have a very pessimistic view of residential situations at the lower end of the scale due to inexperience. You keep on saying things that have nothing to do with my situation so I'll leave it at that. I've corrected you over and over and you keep on down the same track. You equate low end residential living with a slumlord berating their tenants whereas I have made myself very clear how I've never done that and would never do that simply because its bad business. I set rules, the tenant agrees to those rules before moving in and if they vary much from those rules and we can't work it out they are out of there. Simple as that.

I've rebutted your points one by one. You seem to not like people in general. I do. And to manage a situation like this you have to. Most of the time problems can be worked out and no one needs to leave. I worked at this off and on in low end real estate management for a decade. I was living there and that made a huge difference. When I would hear of other landlord's problems I realized so many could have been avoided had they just been closer to their investment. Like right on top of it. Its just like a fire. The sooner you deal with it the less damage there is.

As for money and profit I was making so many mistakes and still managed more than a 15% cap rate. Not many people do that. Knowing what I know now my profit picture would have been vastly different. The 1 bedrooms would have housed 2 independent people at about 60% more rent. The 2 bedrooms would have housed 3 independent people at about 50% more rent. I would have turned the laundry room into another suite adding 7% more rent (laundry machines would have been in the hallway in the basement. I would never have sold it had I known about chopping up apartments. I could have rented at a little below market ratea for room rentals to ensure the people gave me less headaches as well! Live and learn, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blocking the hallways with laundry machines is a fire hazard and youll get quickly fined in the thousands of dollars. Chopping up rooms would have the building dept quickly coming after you

·
Registered
14,103 Posts
cm2u, are you suggesting that you operate this business model already? I thought you were engaging in idle speculation about how wonderful it would be to stack tenant like cordwood. Given the way you seem to expect humans to behave, it is rather incredible (and in, unbelievable) that you are actually running this with real, live people.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ He's not suggesting this as he is indeed practicing this model. And yet he's such a bloody genius being a slumlord that he "needs to come on this forum " to seek "ideas"...aka validations. Or the need to shoot sh1t trying to re"butt" ... too bad there's no finger emoji here but sending one over since the guy has such imaginations.

And this part
I've rebutted your points one by one. You seem to not like people in general. I do.
.. makes me laugh. Right, why don't he up that part and say "slumlords, not only like people but love their tenants" so much that the rent include free kisses from grandpa/pappa/uncle landlord too, aside from rent-rebates. The "perfect slumlord business model". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
cm2u, are you suggesting that you operate this business model already? I thought you were engaging in idle speculation about how wonderful it would be to stack tenant like cordwood. Given the way you seem to expect humans to behave, it is rather incredible (and in, unbelievable) that you are actually running this with real, live people.
I am not engaged in this at the present time.
As you and many others seem to have a very short memory I must remind you that many people ARE ALREADY DOING THIS in areas with very high land prices like Toronto and Vancouver. So I was curious if anyone here had tried it. Unfortunately I wasted time and energy responding to people here that CANNOT READ and kept on ignoring what I said and kept on repeating their mantra that anyone that tries to house more than one person in a room is automatically a slumlord even though my responses would indicate that this model requires a very involved, attentive, resourceful, on site owner. What I found interesting though is even though you tried to shoot down my ideas not a single person here could suggest any innovative or new ways of dealing with sky high land prices. It was simply the wrong forum for this question. The people here are mostly involved in upper scale investment with less hands on involvement. I don't have the money to get involved in that yet so I have to focus on the lower end, an area I can afford. I'm also wanting to learn about this field of real estate to help young people starting out so they can get into real estate ownership much, much sooner instead of mid 30's and later like most.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am not engaged in this at the present time.
... and yet in your post #127 said:

I worked at this off and on in low end real estate management for a decade. I was living there and that made a huge difference.
. So is that not a lie or what?

As you and many others seem to have a very short memory I must remind you that many people ARE ALREADY DOING THIS in areas with very high land prices like Toronto and Vancouver.
... and so? How's your memory about the "opinion" to you go ask a lawyer to validate what you want to do "further" such as stacking sardines in a can, is perfectly LEGAL. I'm sure there're RE lawyers out in Alberta who can "advise" you. You won't get any "ideas" though.

So I was curious if anyone here had tried it.
... the answers have been "no" repeatedly despite your need for "rebuttals". Answers have been ... not a good idea, not legal, all in the direction of "no, no, no, no, no, no ...".

Do you need the "no" to be further translated or deciphered for you?

Unfortunately I wasted time and energy responding to people here that CANNOT READ and kept on ignoring what I said and kept on repeating their mantra that anyone that tries to house more than one person in a room is automatically a slumlord even though my responses would indicate that this model requires a very involved, attentive, resourceful, on site owner.
... so why are you still here? Trying to waste everyone else's time for more "ideas"?

What I found interesting though is even though you tried to shoot down my ideas not a single person here could suggest any innovative or new ways of dealing with sky high land prices. It was simply the wrong forum for this question.
... no, nothing wrong with this forum. Just that it ain't the forum that'll accomodate your ideas nor validate your business model. I know for a fact that schemers are the most innovating, always thinking they can always beat everyone else to the game. Popping your dream bubble here.

The people here are mostly involved in upper scale investment with less hands on involvement. I don't have the money to get involved in that yet so I have to focus on the lower end, an area I can afford. I'm also wanting to learn about this field of real estate to help young people starting out so they can get into real estate ownership much, much sooner instead of mid 30's and later like most.
... yeah, sure. Helping young people out ... to their parting with their money to your bank account in the sleaziest way. Your posts definitely confirmed you never even had home ownership, let alone "manage low real estate" as claimed ... perhaps, from your computer in the basement. Like a SIMs game.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
Good luck evicting people for merely being untidy. Maybe in fantasyland.
Just wait until one of these tenants sues this guy. Meanwhile, someone like me (the neighbour) will be ratting him out to the city and fire dept, and I'll probably get in touch with his insurer as well.

I suspect trolling, actually.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts