Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Basically no functional difference between "complex carbs" and simple carbs. Sugar is bad in excess because the fructose part of sucrose can only be metabolized by the liver, and the liver can only process so much per day. Too much leads to non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Excess sugar leads to foie grasification of your liver.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Basically no functional difference between "complex carbs" and simple carbs. Sugar is bad in excess because the fructose part of sucrose can only be metabolized by the liver, and the liver can only process so much per day. Too much leads to non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Excess sugar leads to foie grasification of your liver.
But doesn't a complex carb get metabolized much more gradually and evenly? Is that not better for the body?

Seems to me there is a notable difference between those two kinds of carbs

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
But doesn't a complex carb get metabolized much more gradually and evenly? Is that not better for the body?

Seems to me there is a notable difference between those two kinds of carbs
Na....its just a hockey stick effect with various handle lengths, the blade effects are virtually the same when they happen to people who are insulin resistant. Simple carbs are molecules of one or two sugars bound together, whereas complex carbs/starches are chains of sugars that can be tens of thousands of sugars long and with fiber makes them longer. However when complex carbs are broken down (during digestion) they are broken down to simple sugars in time--- hence glycemic index. But this is simply the "red-dress effect". If your insulin resistant (and over time many people are) you have a harder and hard time processing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe a bit overtly through increased taxation. But more likely the bulk of loss will come in the form of inflation being higher than planned for.
A lot of this debt will supposedly be paid down with an improving economy from 2021 and beyond. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Wait, I don't understand. You don't think the economy will improve in the following years?

Hope you're not investing in stocks then.
Don't conflate two issues: improved economy vs debt. Even while the economy improves, the debt will get worse. Politicians just can't help themselves.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
People don't understand the difference between sovereign and household debt. They are completely different for several key reasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
People don't understand the difference between sovereign and household debt. They are completely different for several key reasons.
MMT? I'm a follower. It's an uphill battle with public education though. It'll be like Einstein trying to teach Newton about gravity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone worried that their pension saving are going to be taxed out of existence because of this? And how did Turkey make money???
Worried about what? Government debt and deficits? All the major economies in the world have debts and deficits. The countries that don't I don't think you really want to live there.

For as long as I can remember, Canada has always been in debt. For just a short time in 2005, we had a surplus until the 2008 financial crisis hit. I even looked it up. Canada had a national debt going all the way back to Confederation. The same is for the United States and I would also guess for a lot of other major economies too.

So all this debt would mean that the bubble would eventually burst right? I've lived through burst bubbles before. I survived the 1990 real estate bubble and had to hold onto a rental house for 15 years before selling at a profit. After that there was the dot com bubble in which I lost money on Nortel. And then the 2008 financial crisis. Let's not forget the 1987 Savings & Loan Junk Bond crash too.

And you know what? All those bubbles I lived through? All caused by the free market getting ahead of itself. There doesn't seem like any government debt or deficit was involved in their crashes. However, government deficits are the stimulus that gets those markets back up to recovery.

Nobody cares about the massive deficits we get into during times of war. But spending to keep people from being homeless and to keep the hospitals running, that's a real problem isn't it?

Maybe there will be a great upheaval like the world has never seen comparable to empires collapsing. How long did the British Empire last and what crisis occurred when it collapsed? How about the Soviet Union collapse? Going all the way back, we have the collapse of the French Empire, the Mongol Empire and the Roman Empire, which took hundreds of years to disintegrate.

I don't know. Based on history, the upheaval doesn't seem to be like there will be a great reckoning in which society turns into Mad Max.

Of course I could be wrong.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Worried about what? Government debt and deficits? All the major economies in the world have debts and deficits. The countries that don't I don't think you really want to live there.
This is a very good point. Every first world country and advanced economy is doing what we are doing.

Maybe there will be a great upheaval like the world has never seen comparable to empires collapsing. How long did the British Empire last and what crisis occurred when it collapsed?
. . .
I don't know. Based on history, the upheaval doesn't seem to be like there will be a great reckoning in which society turns into Mad Max.
This is also a good point. There are many dramatic descriptions about the "end of the American empire" or the downfall of western economies like Canada, being past their prime.

I am not worried.

Look at Britain. The British Empire collapsed and the Pound was devalued long ago ... the empire is toast. They lost their colonies, they lost their military might, etc. Or how about Germany. A country which went through two total collapses in modern history, including a currency wipeout. Then they were destroyed in two wars.

But is life bad in the UK? Is life bad in Germany? Not at all! These are good countries to live in.

If you look at rankings of countries by quality of life / safety / wealth you will find many countries which suffered collapses and enormous declines: Germany, UK, Japan. Other than truly horrendous wartime situations, in the longer term it really does NOT make a country an unlivable disaster.

Heck, you can even look at Iceland and Argentina which have gone through collapses much more recently including total debt and currency wipeouts. It's just not as big a deal as it sounds. Just make sure you own some foreign assets and don't store all your wealth in domestic assets & domestic currency.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
This is a very good point. Every first world country and advanced economy is doing what we are doing.

This is also a good point. There are many dramatic descriptions about the "end of the American empire" or the downfall of western economies like Canada, being past their prime.

I am not worried.

Look at Britain. The British Empire collapsed and the Pound was devalued long ago ... the empire is toast. They lost their colonies, they lost their military might, etc. Or how about Germany. A country which went through two total collapses in modern history, including a currency wipeout. Then they were destroyed in two wars.

But is life bad in the UK? Is life bad in Germany? Not at all! These are good countries to live in.

If you look at rankings of countries by quality of life / safety / wealth you will find many countries which suffered collapses and enormous declines: Germany, UK, Japan. Other than truly horrendous wartime situations, in the longer term it really does NOT make a country an unlivable disaster.

Heck, you can even look at Iceland and Argentina which have gone through collapses much more recently including total debt and currency wipeouts. It's just not as big a deal as it sounds. Just make sure you own some foreign assets and don't store all your wealth in domestic assets & domestic currency.
So I agree with you, that in the end all of this will work out. But it's Survivorship bias.

What's missing is the personal sacrifices that get sweep under the rug---because of bad decisions coming from the government. Every country you listed even outside war, their peoples suffered needlessly.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Originally debt was used to finance infrastructure like highways, then wartime expenses, then government over spending.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Both debts and assets need to be considered relative to each other. This is something the critics like Conservative Pierre Poilivere never consider or discuss.

Canada owes $1 Trillion in debt, but what is the value of all of Canada's assets ?

The value is likely incalculable and possibly infinite, considering the massive land base of Crown land, ownership of infrastructure, ownership of hundreds of thousands of lakes and rivers, ownership of underground resources, ownership of bandwith, annual government revenues, ownership of fisheries and resource extraction in coastal waters on 3 oceans.........etc.etc.

We are a very wealthy country, simply due to our geography and location in the world.

To paraphrase Mark Twain.......the reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Both debts and assets need to be considered relative to each other. This is something the critics like Conservative Pierre Poilivere never consider or discuss.

Canada owes $1 Trillion in debt, but what is the value of all of Canada's assets ?

The value is likely incalculable and possibly infinite, considering the massive land base of Crown land, ownership of infrastructure, ownership of hundreds of thousands of lakes and rivers, ownership of underground resources, ownership of bandwith, annual government revenues, ownership of fisheries and resource extraction in coastal waters on 3 oceans.........etc.etc.

We are a very wealthy country, simply due to our geography and location in the world.

To paraphrase Mark Twain.......the reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated.
So why pay taxes? Let MMT do all the work. Sell off Amund Ringnes Island for 1Trillion....may it could be the last act of Trump.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
MMT doesn't involve paying operating expenses. It is a concept of governments owing debt to themselves instead of borrowing in bond markets.

Assets can be sold though, as Stephen Harper did when he sold the government owned GM shares to "balance" the budget before the election.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts