Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah and the Canadian 10 year is about the same. Perhaps more importantly the 5 year bond yields have gone up dramatically.

During 2020, the 5 year yield was only 0.30% and today it's 2.2% so an increase of nearly 200 basis points! Many business financing costs are tied to the 5 year, so businesses will very soon start feeling pressures from higher borrowing costs.

My guess is that we're entering a bear market in stocks for a few years. Might want to make sure you hold enough bonds & GICs to weather the storm.
Bear markets last about 1-2 years. Longest bear market was the great depression. Bring it on... buying opportunity for those with long time horizons

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am not changing anything in my portfolio. I didn't in any of the prior market implosions and don't intend to do so now. I won't like it but if we had another 2008 style event, one needs to remember the S&P500 peaked in Oct 2007, hit bottom in Mar 2009 and didn't return to its prior peak until about Oct 2013.... 6 full years later (dividends not included). Investors need to consider that as a real possibility, notwithstanding they'd be collecting dividends in the meantime.
This is why you should buy during these periods because once it goes back to the peak, you gains should be much higher if you sat and did nothing.....buying right now. Bought when it was 10% under and now buying when it's 20% under...when it recovers,.I should be much further ahead

·
Registered
140 Posts
People who sold at the top of the home markets made out like bandits. The buyers of their homes are screwed.

The real estate industry wants a return for 40 year mortgages, relax the qualifying amounts, and no down payments.

None of them solve the core problem that the homes prices are 70% too high.

A $1,000,000 home is worth $300,000 when interest rates are 7% or higher, and median wages are in the mid $40,000 range.
What's more concerning is we let real estate be a a big portion of our economy. The right thing to do is let this market correct but will be painful short term for everyone. Do our governments have the [email protected]$$ to do the right thing? We must find other industries to spur economic growth. Real estate is not sustainable!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts