Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Made tuition for my son for next year...not sure how serious that is. That was before the Government handout was bounced too. So I guess I doubled that Today

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't like "Serious Money". I prefer money I can take out and have some fun with. Although these days, contactless debit or credit money, not cash. :cool:🍻🍹⛱

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I stick to my equal sector approach as it continues to beat the index over these many years.

I look at consumer staples, utilities and telecom doing the best of my sectors.

I see Metro Inc (MRU.TO) up 12% on the year. You can never predict the future, so investing equally in all sectors is usually the best approach.

ltr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nope. But hoping VCN, BNS and TD bought this last couple of weeks will help in long term. Though I bought USO also this weeks. Luckily a very small portion. Still, a reminder to myself to stay away from speculating too much.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
...in these yo-yo markets?
I think so, yes, in the long term. According to my records, since I started tracking this 4.1 years ago, my current portfolio performance is 6.7% CAGR using the approach I wrote about in this thread.

For me, this multi-year performance is the key measurement. It could drop, though. I don't really expect it to stay so high.

It's easy to get upset about recent drops (and yeah, some stuff truly crashed). But look at the Mawer Balanced mutual fund too: the 5 year return is 5.34% and 10 year is 8.71%. These too are tremendously good trailing returns.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Not making big money yet, but I'm making investments now that I believe have 100-200% upside over the next 2-3 years. Oil/energy, materials, lumber, maybe some housing if it drops some more. The time to buy cyclicals is near the bottom when they are losing money, not at the top when they are making it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I gave up trying to make big money. Can't be bothered anymore. I'm more interested in avoiding risk and preserving what I've saved up.

About a year ago I switched to a simple couch-potato portfolio. It's 20/20/20/40; US/Global/Canada equity ETFs + 40% Bond ETF

I'm so glad I made this switch. I used to be 100% equity and heavily margined.

My balanced portfolio is holding up very well. It's roughly the same value as a year ago, only down a little bit since the recent crash.
But not nearly as devastating as it would be if I was 100% margined stock

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
My portfolio reached a new all time high today. Performance since I started tracking 4.1 years ago is 6.8% CAGR.

This also demonstrates that an investor doesn't have to be heavy in stocks to get good performance. I'm only 28% stocks right now, and my target allocation is 30% stocks.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess i was hoping for more specifics...eg
"I bought xyz on xday & sold on yday & made z$$" 🤪
Anybody doing that?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I bought a little Suncor when it went splat. Still holding. BCE, FTS, RY, TRP, T, SLF have held up well.
Other than that, I'm like most others, down overall, but the 5 yr & 10 yr returns are good.
I'm quite pleased with MAWER funds in my pf (I bought more 105 when it dropped late March). They've helped cushion the blow. They don't include much oil and gas in their stock holdings.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Anybody doing that?
why would you want to sell now? Even if you made a small profit, the market has a long way to grow still and it probably will. Everything I’ve bought is trending upwards, even as it drops a little every other day.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Anybody doing that?
On 19 Mar, I bought 1000 shares of CNQ at $11.00. Wasn't the bottom, but I am still holding those shares. No point in selling now. CNQ is a buy at today's price.

It boggles my mind at the billions flushed down the drain this past week on crude oil ETFs like USO and HOU. Just buying any oil major is a far better way to do it. Imagine being right on your oil call but losing 50-75% because you chose the wrong vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not making big money yet, but I'm making investments now that I believe have 100-200% upside over the next 2-3 years. Oil/energy, materials, lumber, maybe some housing if it drops some more. The time to buy cyclicals is near the bottom when they are losing money, not at the top when they are making it.
Which cyclicals do you suggest?

·
Registered
213 Posts
My OTM puts on SPX that were scattered across the board that I took off the table averaged over 20 fold. Have been scaling back in positioning for multiple crashes going into 2022.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to hear your thoughts on the multiple crashes going into 2022.
The WHO is talking about another wave coming.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would like to hear your thoughts on the multiple crashes going into 2022.
The WHO is talking about another wave coming.
I do not base anything on news. Who is corrupt. If memory is correct in 2009 Pharmaceutical companies gave a lot of money to who to change the standards for what is considered a pandemic so to be able to sell vaccine. Forget the exact details. The documentary on you tube was recently removed though can be fond on Martin Armstrong website. For this so called pandemic who received a lot of money from the guy that wants to lock us all down till we are vaccinated & even wants to implant us with microchips. There is no evidence that the healthy should be locked down for Covid. Who is out of control. When I have more time I will look up links regarding the above & post

Regarding the markets my count is 5 waves down from the all time high to the March low. The recent rally is wave 2 which is near complete. Wave 3 down should be a bigger crash then wave 1 usually wave 3 is 1.618 times larger then wave 1 in percentage. Wave 3 are the big money makers using OTM puts.

The 90 year crash cycle should bottom in 2022, The Decennial pattern beat the buy & hold by over 44 fold over about 100 year time period source AW Miller the 2 year usually puts in a major loww, I have the 4 year cycle bottoming in 2018 with next low due in 2022. 3 year commodity cycle due to bottom around 2021

In 2007 & 2008 I used 3 market letters for info to make a lot of money in the bear market, elliottwave international, Arch Crawford & Tim Woods cyclesman. All nailed the market as well as the recent crash. Only one would have been needed. If you want to make money in this crash I would say anyone of them would work though pick the one that fits your personality. Elliottwave international has good info on how to use options on a option video they sell as well as the book prechtors perspective has some good info in a few paragraphs

1 - 20 of 53 Posts