Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how income works when you're not using it. Meaning, can you expect any kind of reasonable income if it's in a desirable, busy resort. I'm thinking about something in Osoyoos, and as a status Indian, I would not pay GST nor income tax as the property is on native land. It's fairly cheap and I do go to the Okanagan a couple of times a year, so I would use it as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
You would need to look at the contractual terms and conditions of the specific development as to how the rental pool works. I suspect if the development is on First Nations land, then the band would have likely insisted on some terms to benefit band members.

Most fractionals owned by people we know have a high season where rentals are highly likely at good prices, but that would only apply to some of your designated weeks. If you have a week in November in Osoyoos, I doubt it would attract anyone. A week in June or July would be completely different.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
There are also some car racing addicts who own condos outright. Could be an additional market. Main issue is comparing ongoing maintenance to rents. And asses the competition from those racers who own outright.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are also some car racing addicts who own condos outright. Could be an additional market. Main issue is comparing ongoing maintenance to rents. And asses the competition from those racers who own outright.
Being an absentee rental property owner can be messy.You need someone to handle rentals,rent collection ,repairs,etc.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I know several people who own fractionals, usually 1/8th, sometimes 1/4 to get 2 weeks 6 times a year back to back, rather than 1 week 6 times a year. I have heard of 1/10th as well as in 1 week 5 times per year.

There is no restrictions about selling your portion of the fractional independent of anyone else, at least in BC. You theoretically don't care who the other owners are, except to potentially trade weeks. That said, resale is often difficult in many places, perhaps not Whistler but I have not visited that market in years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts