Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about the whole 'computer driving car' thing. I guess getting into an accident because of a software glitch isn't really any difference than being in an accident because of human error, but at this point - I'd rather take the human error, since I know it isn't all that common.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about the whole 'computer driving car' thing. I guess getting into an accident because of a software glitch isn't really any difference than being in an accident because of human error, but at this point - I'd rather take the human error, since I know it isn't all that common.
I guess I'm even more worried about hacking and terrorism. Imagine how much fun hackers would have causing mayhem by figuring out ways to remotely control cars with people in them, forcing them to go where they don't want to go. No thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm not. I understand and agree with the benefits of having vehicles that drive themselves, but in my mind, you should be able to take over if the situation calls for it. The Google cars have no human operated controls.

Well, thinking about it more now... I could totally see these working in niche markets - maybe at resorts or mines or something, places with closed road systems where the cars have a limited amount of destinations that don't change - but I can't see them working on public roads for the average person.

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
We had an automated train in our warehouse that ran on wires in the concrete floor.

It worked really well..........until it didn't.

It would "leave" the track and crash into 7 high racking, forcing people to scatter out of it's way.

The company eventually took it out and leased more fork trucks.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not. I understand and agree with the benefits of having vehicles that drive themselves, but in my mind, you should be able to take over if the situation calls for it. The Google cars have no human operated controls.
Did you read the article I posted? It says there are controls where humans can take over in case they need to. I wouldn't want cars on the road with this, at least not for the first so many years. There would be way too many circumstances that no company could possibly account for them all.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
So we need robot driven cars to get to offices staffed by robots and to restaurants manned by robot servers?
Why?
Just stay home and watch robots on TV shows.
... maybe I'm watching to many re-runs but I'm being reminded of The Terminator movies which doesn't hold well for mankind. :biggrin:

On a more recent note, I heard or read somewhere that drones are being used for delivering pizzas ... talk about being hopeless couch-potatoes.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
... maybe I'm watching to many re-runs but I'm being reminded of The Terminator movies which doesn't hold well for mankind. :biggrin:

On a more recent note, I heard or read somewhere that drones are being used for delivering pizzas ... talk about being hopeless couch-potatoes.
Reminds of that 1990 Total Recall movie of life on Mars with Arnold Schwarzenegger ..
'WELCOME TO JOHNNY CAB..."

johnnycab.jpg

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'm with you, Addy. I think it sounds amazing, and I can't wait for it to happen. (By the way, the link did not work... so I haven't read the article.)

Seems to me, once self-driving cars are commonplace, car ownership will be greatly reduced. People will be able to order a car to their door for the time they need it, and once they arrive at their destination, it can go off and drive someone else around. This will be a huge business opportunity for companies like Zipcar.

Shipping will also be changed. No more need to plan rest breaks into the shipping schedule. Self-driving trucks will only need to stop to fuel.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
The age of the automatically controlled car for mindless drivers who don't have to concentrate on driving any more.
We will just sit in the seats and yak on our iPhones while surfing the net looking for bargains..but why even bother with that..unless its just personal transportation?

Shopping malls will become a thing of the past, practically everything will be ordered on line..well except food and maybe services such as haircuts, and clothes that you still have to try on in a store.

As Rod Sterling announces on the TV show a few decades ago.."Outer Limits".. "Imagine a place in space and time.... do not adjust your sets....we control the horizontal and the vertical.."

Excited owner of NEW GoogleCar purchase:

" Look at this beauty! It's got 4 seats, a trunk for shopping bags, and recharges overnight."
Wife: I like the fact it has GPS controlled steering, because you never ask for directions!
Husband: Because I know where I'm going.. well most of the time.
Wife: And dear, it comes with Windows...18 and is always connected to the WiFI internet. We don't need a key, just a password.
Husband; Lets try it out...Tim Hortons or McD's?
Opens the door and gets in, wife same.
Googlecar: in a simulated human voice. "Key in password with your iphone please!" Put on seatbelts. Select GPS destination to where you are going. If you do not know destination, speak into the microphone
for translation of destination to GPS co-ordinates...'
Moving....
Adjusting lane to make turns..
Speeding up, slowing down, braking..
Googlecar now CashCab: You have arrived at your destination!...care to answer some questions and win $25 for each correct answer?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did you read the article I posted? It says there are controls where humans can take over in case they need to. I wouldn't want cars on the road with this, at least not for the first so many years. There would be way too many circumstances that no company could possibly account for them all.
The first line of the article you posted: "Google today announced its own design for self-driving cars, which will drive people around without a steering wheel or pedals."

Also, (bolding is mine) "Google says the program is currently in a prototype phase, but that it plans to build around 100 early versions of the vehicles for testing this summer. Those cars [...] will initially include manual controls in case something goes wrong", implying that they will be removed at some point.

OK, so my wording was off (Should have said "will have" instead of "have") but the end goal of this project is a vehicle without manual controls.

Sags' example is perfect. Technology works well, until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, then it really F's up. I'm not anti-progress by any means, but I think that there always needs to be a way to revert back to the old fashioned methods if/when the tech fails.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Terrible idea. Humans need to control computers, not the other way around. Besides, the whole point of cars is personal freedom. This idea takes most of that away. As with my finances, I must remain in control and not some 3rd party.
Terrible idea for blind people, old infirm people, and children, too?

I guess you take the stairs instead of elevator, too, in order to preserve your freedom from the tyranny of the elevator control computer.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Regardless of how long it takes, the impact of autonomous road vehicles is going to be huge. The economic value that will be created is enormous. I'm doubtful that it will be Google that will capture this market, but it will come, in fits and starts. And this is an enabling/disruptive technology, the full impacts of which we can only begin to imagine.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts