Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Any suggestion for a good broker to invest directly (no etfs) in international (ex. US, mainly Europe and Asia) equities from Canada. I came across Interactive Brokers which are registered under IIROC. Does anyone has other suggestions for registered brokers?

Cheers,
DD

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can open self directed investment account with major banks. I personally want my money secured in big banks. I pay a little more, but it is safer with major banks. The big banks are competitive nowadays. With RBC, I paid $25 dollar per transaction years ago, now $9.99 per transaction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can open self directed investment account with major banks. I personally want my money secured in big banks. I pay a little more, but it is safer with major banks. The big banks are competitive nowadays. With RBC, I paid $25 dollar per transaction years ago, now $9.99 per transaction.
thankyou for your response, can I invest directly into international equities without any etf investment ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
With RBC, I can buy any US stocks. I don't think I can buy stocks in Europe or Asia.
You can open US or Canadian dollar account.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Buy ADR's. In $USD On NYSE, and get you exposure to stocks in international companies that way. Can access from any bank brokerage account.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It really doesn’t matter IBKR interactive brokerage is member of IIROC and ensures up to 1 million. Same applies to every bank.

And national bank with Desjardins offer free transactions.
Thank you for the information.

If a financial institution is insolvent, it will take time until it is sorted out and to get your stocks or money back. I imagine I am in that situation. I'd rather accept to pay transaction fees in exchange of piece of mind. And I am not a trader, so it is only a small change to do business,

I don't want to argue, People can do anything they wish with their money or investment.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Any suggestion for a good broker to invest directly (no etfs) in international (ex. US, mainly Europe and Asia) equities from Canada. I came across Interactive Brokers which are registered under IIROC. Does anyone has other suggestions for registered brokers?
Could look at HSBC.
Myself I've bought a few ADRs.
The big problem with foreign stocks is research, Canadian and US stocks file on Sedar and Edgar, not sure where the others file, or how to access their data.

Does Europe have a similar filing requirement? Or more importantly, where is it?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thank you for the information.

If a financial institution is insolvent, it will take time until it is sorted out and to get your stocks or money back. I imagine I am in that situation. I'd rather accept to pay transaction fees in exchange of piece of mind. And I am not a trader, so it is only a small change to do business,

I don't want to argue, People can do anything they wish with their money or investment.
As I said, I doubt that if National bank becomes insolvent that will not affect any other bank. National bank has no fees. I don’t any reason to pay fee with other banks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When someone can clearly explain to me how a broker makes money when they charge no fee, I'll consider if it's worth moving to a no-fee brokerage.

Someone smarter than me once said, "If a product is free, then you're the product."

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When someone can clearly explain to me how a broker makes money when they charge no fee, I'll consider if it's worth moving to a no-fee brokerage.

Someone smarter than me once said, "If a product is free, then you're the product."
please stay were you are, we all like bank dividends. Thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have an account with Itrade and hold and trade some US stocks in it, along with Canadian. $9.99 a trade in whatever currency you trade.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have an account with Itrade and hold and trade some US stocks in it, along with Canadian. $9.99 a trade in whatever currency you trade.
I am at ITrade as well.
In my RRSP I have most of my funds held in USD adr's or US company stocks.
I do this so for the USD traded stocks I own that pay dividends I don't get clipped on FX going both ways by the broker.
I thought it was going to be $30 a quarter, but so far no charge has appeared for this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts