Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw in other threads that people don't understand why Americans are protesting. Let me explain it to you. And by the way, I'm currently in the epicenter of the protests in the USA. Police used pepper spray and rubber pellets just a couple hours ago to disperse riots a few km from me.

As police have declared this a riot, I want to clarify that I am not participating in any demonstrations, nor do I ever plan to. I am not encouraging anyone to join the demonstration.

Why are people protesting?

Trump has given a big thumbs up to (1) racists/white supremacists, (2) anti-gay crusaders and (3) abusers of women.

Therefore, people are protesting to assert their right to live without harassment and mistreatment.

(1) black and hispanic people are concerned that the newly emboldened white supremacists (Trump's base) are going to suppress them and make their lives miserable. Not to mention Trump's direct hostility to non-whites (Obama birther nonsense, Muslim Ban, Mexicans are Rapists, etc). This extends to Muslims, Jews, and pretty much everyone who isn't white Christian. All of these groups feel threatened by Trump and his circle, plus his extremist supporters.

(2) gay people are very upset at the prospect of the anti-gay crusaders taking their rights away, and driving them back into hiding. The vice president is aggressively anti-gay!

(3) the election was proof that American society very quickly dismissed abuse of women. Women do not want to be mistreated. They observed that a man who has an established history of assaulting and mistreating women is elected president! How safe do you think women feel after this?

The protesters are effectively saying: we understand that forces (1), (2) and (3) have been legitimized/endorsed in this election, but this is not acceptable. If you really want to crush my rights & freedoms and make MY life worse through oppression and intimidation, you're going to have to fight me.

I think that the biggest force in the protests is (1), because it's basically the civil rights movement. Trump has re-energized the white power crowd, KKK, etc. Black people are going to work very, very hard to make sure that they are not trampled on. Expect a lot more of this in the coming years. People don't give up their rights very easily.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the facts: his running mate Mike Pence has a history of anti-gay agenda, and the gay community is concerned that will translate into political decisions. Pence (who will be vice president) worked hard to deny equality to gay people in Indiana. He also wanted public funding for conversion therapy, which some describe as a form of torture.

I think the gay community is justified in their concern. Trump himself may have no problem with gay people, but the VP and others in his circle have a big problem with gays.

The point of my post was to tell you the motivations of the protesters. On the gay front, these are the concerns of the protesters as I understand them.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Yeah, and Clinton was personally and strongly opposed to gay equality, if you are referring to gay marriage. She changed the tune when it became politically prudent.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very possible. I am not saying Clinton was the better candidate. Again, I'm trying to verbalize the message of the protesters

·
Banned
655 Posts
I saw in other threads that people don't understand why Americans are protesting. Let me explain it to you. And by the way, I'm currently in the epicenter of the protests in the USA. Police used pepper spray and rubber pellets just a couple hours ago to disperse riots a few km from me.

As police have declared this a riot, I want to clarify that I am not participating in any demonstrations, nor do I ever plan to. I am not encouraging anyone to join the demonstration.

Why are people protesting?

Trump has given a big thumbs up to (1) racists/white supremacists, (2) anti-gay crusaders and (3) abusers of women.

Therefore, people are protesting to assert their right to live without harassment and mistreatment.

(1) black and hispanic people are concerned that the newly emboldened white supremacists (Trump's base) are going to suppress them and make their lives miserable. Not to mention Trump's direct hostility to non-whites (Obama birther nonsense, Muslim Ban, Mexicans are Rapists, etc). This extends to Muslims, Jews, and pretty much everyone who isn't white Christian. All of these groups feel threatened by Trump and his circle, plus his extremist supporters.

(2) gay people are very upset at the prospect of the anti-gay crusaders taking their rights away, and driving them back into hiding. The vice president is aggressively anti-gay!

(3) the election was proof that American society very quickly dismissed abuse of women. Women do not want to be mistreated. They observed that a man who has an established history of assaulting and mistreating women is elected president! How safe do you think women feel after this?

The protesters are effectively saying: we understand that forces (1), (2) and (3) have been legitimized/endorsed in this election, but this is not acceptable. If you really want to crush my rights & freedoms and make MY life worse through oppression and intimidation, you're going to have to fight me.

I think that the biggest force in the protests is (1), because it's basically the civil rights movement. Trump has re-energized the white power crowd, KKK, etc. Black people are going to work very, very hard to make sure that they are not trampled on. Expect a lot more of this in the coming years. People don't give up their rights very easily.
If the youth vote and Blacks had turned out in greater numbers in Pennsylvania,Michigan and Wisconsin for Clinton maybe they wouldn't now
be marching in the streets.

How Clinton lost 'blue wall' states of Mich., Pa., Wis.

It was Hillary Clinton’s “blue wall” — three Great Lakes battlegrounds that Republicans had banged their heads against for years.

But Donald Trump stormed the blue wall Tuesday, parlaying victories in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania into the presidency.

Trump did it on a tide of votes from rural and blue-collar whites.

But he was helped by Clinton’s neglect of the region and her failure to fully mobilize her party’s own base, including young voters and African-Americans.

Donald Trump brought a new calculation, a new way of winning (these states), but part of that was her colossal failure,” said GOP pollster Gene Ulm. “She did not turn out and galvanize the Obama coalition.”

In Wisconsin, where Clinton didn’t make a single stop during the general election campaign, she won voters under 30 by just 4 points. Obama won them by 23 points four years ago. The state voted Republican for the first time since 1984.

“The vote among younger voters dropped off appreciably” for Clinton, said Tom Holbrook, political scientist for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Clinton’s margin in the ultra-blue city of Milwaukee was 27,000 votes smaller than Obama’s. That was roughly the size of her statewide defeat.

In Michigan, Trump outperformed Romney, a native Michigander, in blue-collar Macomb County, known as the home of the Reagan Democrat. He outpaced Clinton in other regions of the state, vowing to secure America’s borders and return Michigan to its manufacturing heyday. Her share of the vote in Wayne County, home to Detroit, was 6 percentage points lower than Obama’s. Michigan went Republican for the first time since 1988.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My understanding is that only 55 percent of eligible voters actually got off their backsides and exercised their franchise. Perhaps if more people had 'bothered' to do this the outcome would have been different. But they didn't. So the only reasonable option that exists is to accept the new leadership, move forward, and start preparing now for 2020 and for the intervening senatorial races.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
This is a result of the Americans "rule by fear" campaign. It's been almost 20 years of daily "terror alert level announcements" which, mysteriously, seem to go up when there were controversial items in the news.

Nearly an entire generation has been raised under fear control, yet we wonder why they seem to all be a bit paranoid.

What happened to "taking the moral high ground"? And the "we're not like those Trump supporters, we're more civilized..." smugness that the Hillary supporters preached? Truth seems to be, that the American experiment in control seems to be backfiring.

Trump hasn't done anything yet, in fact is already starting to back away from some of his election rhetoric, yet people are taking unprecedented action.

I'm one of those who saw this election as a lose-lose scenario, looks like I'm being proved right. The Hillary camp certainly seem to be reacting like children who didn't get their way...

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Don't forget the gay night club that was blown up. Hillary wanted to bring into the country many potential candidates, that could do a ton of damage to the gay community. I heard after that incident, the gay community felt threatened, by what a Clinton immigration policy could bring and started to support Trumps message. I would think after 8 years of bush in office gay people would be gone from the map in the US and yet they are still here. I don't think Trump will do anything at all to gay people no matter what the KKK or whoever do.

Then there is women not wanting to be mistreated. Look how the left has done in Sweden and Europe. Women everywhere are being mistreated over there, by the same people Hillary would like to bring into the US.

White people were getting scared under the Dems because of racist movements like Black Lives Matter. This crazy movement as bad as the KKK today, started under Obama, who should have been able to do to a lot towards better race relations with 8 years in office. After Obama I would be scared to be a white person if Hillary got elected.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
People are protesting because George Soros is paying them to do so. Anybody who isn't getting paid should be protesting to Soros because they're wasting their time for no personal gain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
America got what it deserved. I'm still not sure if this represents the greatest triumph of democracy, or the greatest failure.

Maybe I should change my username.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
People are protesting because George Soros is paying them to do so. Anybody who isn't getting paid should be protesting to Soros because they're wasting their time for no personal gain!
These protesters should unionize and strike against Soros-go to one of his palaces-I think he has one in NYC and sit in front of it until Grifter Soros gives them a pay raise and better benefits.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The so called deplorables won so the so called respectable protest.

Even crazier there are protests in Canada over Trump. Who do these protesters think they are not letting the US be the US ?

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
I knew the Soros connection but didn't want to say it because it would detract from my message. It seems whenever you mention Soros here, everyone panics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The results showed the more people has shifted to an alternative source.
It's not only Americans, citizens of the world are trying to steer away from constant conflict, drama and fake/propaganda action.
We saw the major media encourage the conflict & divid the American during the campaign.

We may moving forward to help ourselves if more people realize to not participate in dividing systems and focus on looking into the real problems.

- An alarmingly low number of Americans say they trust the media:
http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-poll-just-6-percent-of-people-say-they-trust-the-media-2016-4

Just 6 percent of people say they have a lot of confidence in the media,
putting the news industry about equal to Congress and well below the public's view of other institutions.
In this presidential campaign year, Democrats were more likely to trust the news media than Republicans or independents.
But trust today also goes beyond the traditional journalistic principles of accuracy, balance and fairness.

Faced with ever-increasing sources of information, Americans also are more likely to rely on news that is up-to-date, concise and cites expert sources or documents, according to a study by the Media Insight Project, a partnership of The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and the American Press Institute.
Nearly 90 percent of Americans say it's extremely or very important that the media get their facts correct, according to the study. About 4 in 10 say they can remember a specific incident that eroded their confidence in the media, most often one that dealt with accuracy or a perception that it was one-sided.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Please whack you head against the wall hard several times. Might help. Won't be any worse than it is now.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Soros is an American citizen. If he believes strongly that doing X is good for his country, what's the issue? Are you saying that billionaires should not further their own agendas or influence politics?

By the way, when I do a google search for "soros trump protest" nearly all results are right-wing conspiracy/tabloid style web sites.

1 - 20 of 597 Posts