Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a parellel thread as I'm trying to find some good non-dividend paying stocks. The default is BRK, but looking for others. Here is my watch list on the US side of things.

RAD
DG
MGM
RIG
Y

On the Canadian side, pickings are a little bit slimmer. The only thing of interest would be PTI.

My personal criteria is that the market cap has to be at least $1 billion.

What else is out there?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I'm trying to find some good non-dividend paying stocks.

... on the Canadian side, pickings are a little bit slimmer. The only thing of interest would be PTI

let's not forget that they have to have good ie liquid option markets too

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't care so much about options. This is for part of the extreme long-term buy-and-hold. Think 20+ years.

Not interested in ETFs either. MERs are almost as bad as taxes.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
valeant? VRX is interlisted. no dividend.

(signed)
uneasy vrx long
still long
but uneasy
Been watching this one for a while. They make some great products that we use on a daily basis (such as CeraVe for our little one with eczema). I'm afraid I'm a little late to the party.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
doc wouldn't you do best among the venture capitalists.

find something growing in a garage. Like goPro before he got $$ from FoxConn.

otherwise it's stuff like GOOG, AKAM, options ...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Been watching this one [Valeant] for a while ... I'm afraid I'm a little late to the party.
today i finally landed my put diagonal spread in VRX. Been watching & waiting for a while. It helped that the market kept going up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes--we're looking into angel investing (which is typically an earlier entry point as compared to VC), but haven't made the jump yet. Need a good chunk of time for it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
TSX 60 Stocks with no dividends:

Valeant (VRX)
Blackberry (BB)
Catamaran Corp (CCT)
IAMGOLD (IMG)
Kinross Gold (K)

Good luck - I wouldn't invest in these myself, though. I think there are good reasons why all of them can't afford significant dividends.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
TSX Composite sorted by yield

You get a whole page of zero yielders. I see a handful of names that might be worth consideration at the right price.

Now that I helped you, I will allow myself an observation. :)

This is a classic case of Letting The Tax Tail Wag The Investment Dog.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
but he said minimum $1 billion market cap

there aren't any canadians in this category. Maybe valeant but he already ruled that one out. Too expensive.

catamaran? blackberry?
it's easy to scoff & jeer at straw dogs isn't it
even when they wag their tails

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a classic case of Letting The Tax Tail Wag The Investment Dog.
I'm not saying I don't like dividend paying stocks. Given my long-term outlook and to defer capital gains as long as possible, I generally like acquiring stocks in companies that I envision being around 30+ years from now such as infrastructure, banks, insurance companies and some materials. Most of my holdings do provide a dividend, but I would like to get the overall yield of my portfolio under 2%.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm still a bit of an investing newb, and I confess these discussions are above me.

While you guys (and gals) continue to discuss the merits and faults of dividend investing, I'll just continue to happily collect mine.

The appearance of an "anti-dividend" thread gave me a good chuckle, I have to admit. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
@artp2bix, Why the focus on the "overall yield of my portfolio under 2%."?

Using infrastructure, banks, insurance companies, REITs, consumer companies, energy and more, I'm trying to get my yield anywhere between 4-5% amongst 25-30 CDN and 10-15 U.S. stocks. This way, the capital churns out dividends I can live from without touching the capital until my old age. Broad market ETFs like VTI will fill-in the blanks for the companies I don't own.

Just curious...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm still a bit of an investing newb, and I confess these discussions are above me.

While you guys (and gals) continue to discuss the merits and faults of dividend investing, I'll just continue to happily collect mine.

The appearance of an "anti-dividend" thread gave me a good chuckle, I have to admit. :biggrin:
I am guessing the tax-deferred growth, as artp2 won't realize tax consequences until the sale [of a non div payer] instead of paying out taxes annually on the distributions. The tax deferral is effectively allowing for more compounding each year, all else equal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts