Canadian Money Forum banner

Americans vacationing in Canada without quarantining

5K views 91 replies 15 participants last post by  Topo 
#1 ·
Some disturbing news out of Banff, Alberta.

Such a reason probably won't get them across the Border into other provinces but this could be a problem for BC and Alberta obviously.

#59 ·
Umm, how many Canadians are that cold and hungry that they will do wild things calm?

Try thinking about most Canadians, not the outliers. What do you think Canadian Snowbirds will do next winter say if Florida is still reporting 3000 new cases a day? Still go south for the winter or say, 'umm, maybe this year we need to give that idea a pass.'

Unless the world turns upside down, there will be far more Americans likely to be doing 'wild things' in trying to get out of the USA than there will be Canadians trying to get into the USA.

#61 ·
#63 · (Edited)
Many People Cross Our Borders ....

In January of 2005, the CBC reported that, “A Vancouver man has won an out-of-court settlement from the RCMP after an incident in which he says he was illegally searched by an American police officer.” The incident occurred when “David Laing was driving on a highway near Hope, B.C., when he was pulled over by a man with a heavy Texas accent,” who then told Laing that “it was a British Columbia road check. And he asked [Laing] for [his] driver's licence and [his] vehicle registration.” The article quoted Laing as saying, “I'm being pulled over and given directions by an American who won't identify himself.” It just so happened that Laing was also a police officer in Vancouver, and so he “refused to let the officers search his car. Under Canadian law, police officers don't have the right to perform that kind of search.” The CBC further reported that, “The American was a Texas state trooper working with a member of the Hope detachment of the RCMP.” After giving Laing a ticket for having two different addresses for his insurance and registration, “a different RCMP officer and Texas trooper stopped his car, decided he was driving under the influence of marijuana, and searched his vehicle and two-year-old son,” and “The police found no drugs and despite saying he was impaired just moments earlier, let him go.”24
The report then went on to explain that “The Texas state troopers were in B.C. as part of an exchange program with the RCMP to spot and stop drug traffickers. Called Pipeline Convoy, the program involves training officers to detect people who are lying or trying to hide things from police.” Further, “The RCMP settled with Laing out of court when he threatened to sue for unlawful detention. But the Mounties defend the search, saying Laing looked suspicious because his eyelashes were fluttering and his eyes were flashing.” The BC Civil Liberties Association stated that, “Laing's case presents a series of concerns – from using unreliable profiling techniques to a wrongful vehicle search, not to mention using an American police officer to pull over Canadians.”

In 2002, when US Northern Command (NorthCom) was launched, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stated unilaterally that the US Military could cross the border and deploy troops anywhere in Canada, in our provinces, as well station American warships in Canadian territorial waters.
Enhanced Canada-U.S. Security Cooperation and the Bi-National Planning Group

The United States only recognizes Canadian sovereignty over its Arctic islands and not the Northwest Passage.

In 1988. an ageement was signed between Brian Mulroney and Ronnie Ray-Gun in which the Americans would always ask for permission before sending icebreakers through the Northwest Passage, and Canada would always grant it.

#64 ·
Calm, that 2005 CBC story about the Texas cop certainly reduces the credibility of the CBC. The story invites the reader to infer that American cops are being clothed with police powers in Canada and that the protagonist, Mr. Laing, himself a cop, brought a quickly-settled lawsuit raising that allegation.

Assuming there was a U.S. cop involved at all, I would guess he was a ride-along to observe and not to exercise police powers himself. At bottom, it seems that the nature of the complaint, if there was one, was against an unlawful arrest and detention - a breach, inter alia, of s. 9 of the Charter and a correspondingly illegal search incidental to arrest, in breach of s. 8. The article does not mention an arrest but, if indeed there was a search, it must have followed an arrest. Even a rookie RCMP would know there could be no search with no arrest. We are told nothing of what provoked the alleged second stopping of Laing's vehicle and what were said to provide reasonable and probable grounds for arrest.

The whole story has a bad smell to it. Lots left out, or falsely reported, or something else.

#67 ·
This thread was about American's entering Canada.
I was trying to point out that they are crossing the border all the time and daily.
American military and American businessmen crossing into Canada.
If this thread was about immigrants seeking refuge, then I would admit to being off topic.
Was this thread only about those who could not afford airfare?
Canada has "Fortress America". American Capitalists own Canada,

#69 ·
More news of American assholes getting into Canada.

What's disturbing in that story is that when they tried to report the car load from Washington State, they go the 'run around'.

There is no excuse whatsover for Americans supposedly transiting to Alaska, to be on Vancouver Island. The RCMP needs to be told to jump all over this if they get such a call from the public.

#71 ·
Another American couple not complying with the quarantine rules when entering Canada.

Checking half a dozen links to this news, each one says exactly the same thing. In other words, they simply repeat the Police report they are given but ask no questions, do no research. They don't say why they were allowed to enter or whether or not they were put into quarantine or allowed to continue on their way. If I were a news reporter and the RCMP told me they had fined this couple, I would have been asking those two questions at least.

#73 ·
Assuming you can even collect it andrewf.

What really annoys me though is that we aren't told HOW they were allowed to enter. I can't see someone entering through Ft. Frances saying they are transiting to Alaska. So what ESSENTIAL reason could they have for entering?

What is too lenient in my opinion is our news media. Simply cut and pasting the RCMP press release should not be enough for any competent news editor to accept.

#78 ·
Well... a $750k fine. Things have escalated. I doubt he'll actually pay, but it's likely that he wouldn't be allowed back in if it isn't paid.

Kentucky man faces $750K fine for breaking quarantine rules by detouring to Banff
He was fined $1200 bgc_fan and then the next day when found to be violating the rule again, he was CHARGED with a violation and is required to appear in court where he CAN be fined up to $750,000 and also be given jail time.

The media always quote the big sensational number but never make it clear the person was NOT fined that amount YET.

#79 ·
More and more Canadians are reporting those they suspect are breaking the rules Eder, whether it is Americans transiting through to Alaska or Canadians returning home from out of the country.

The same is happening with large gatherings/parties, etc. where people are breaking the group size and physical distancing rules.

Even out of province plates are getting people hassled from BC to the Atlantic Provinces.

#86 · (Edited)
Such criminal acts going unpunished...mean while over 100k people cross from the US to Canada everyday without quarantine. The *** most likely wasn't wearing a mask either!
Action is taken if reported.

But if everyone does as Topo did and not report it, we cannot expect action to be taken. If the RCMP or whoever got a dozen calls reporting a USA car, they will act. It is up to US, the public to do our part in enforcing our restrictions.

#87 ·
What if the law empowered Canadians to remove the license plates from the offending vehicle and turn them into local law enforcement ?

The intruders can tow their vehicle back to the US and the plates will be mailed back to their home residence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.