Canadian Money Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Such criminal acts going unpunished...mean while over 100k people cross from the US to Canada everyday without quarantine. The ******* most likely wasn't wearing a mask either!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Such criminal acts going unpunished...mean while over 100k people cross from the US to Canada everyday without quarantine. The *** most likely wasn't wearing a mask either!
Action is taken if reported.

But if everyone does as Topo did and not report it, we cannot expect action to be taken. If the RCMP or whoever got a dozen calls reporting a USA car, they will act. It is up to US, the public to do our part in enforcing our restrictions.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
What if the law empowered Canadians to remove the license plates from the offending vehicle and turn them into local law enforcement ?

The intruders can tow their vehicle back to the US and the plates will be mailed back to their home residence.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The risk is high if Canada were flooded with USA tourists. A few people here and there is not going to have a major effect, since we already have the virus circulating albeit at a low level. As such, calling them in is more an act of enforcing the law and not public safety. It was not like they were driving DUI or chopping a body in the bushes.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The risk is high if Canada were flooded with USA tourists. A few people here and there is not going to have a major effect, since we already have the virus circulating albeit at a low level. As such, calling them in is more an act of enforcing the law and not public safety. It was not like they were driving DUI or chopping a body in the bushes.
I don't buy that answer Topo. If you see someone driving DUI, do you not think you should report it as a risk to public safety? If someone should be quarantining and is not, they are also a risk to public safety. I don't think you can differentiate between 'degrees' of risk to public safety.

If you had 2 neighbours not quarantining who should be, could you say, 'well this one needs to be reported because they are going around and having a lot of interactions but this other one does not need to be reported because they are only having a few interactions.' How do you know to what degree the occupants of the car you saw were interacting?

What is a 'major effect'? If the occupants of the car you saw do have Covid and infect 2 people, 4, 10? How many are you OK with?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Such criminal acts going unpunished...mean while over 100k people cross from the US to Canada everyday without quarantine. The *** most likely wasn't wearing a mask either!
Do you have some stats to show anything like 100K from the US per day?

The last stats I saw were for a week of land crossings, where one divides the total by the seven days, it works out to a bit under 25K crossing in a single day. Weeding out truck drivers brings this down to a bit over 15K crossings a day from the US.

For perspective, the 2019 week was a bit over 1.2 million land crossings from the US where truckers represented about eight percent of the crossings instead of the current more recent sixty one percent.

'Course a more detailed breakdown would be needed as I believe this is the same time that my Canadian citizen co-worker returned from Texas to make sure he'd finish the two week quarantine before having to go to Montreal for his US green card interview.

Within that week, single day stats that included flights, land crossings and rail crossings were provided. The flights from the US were 1,193 while the non-truck driver land crossing on the same day were 6,175 and there were no rail crossings - making for a total single day crossing of 7,368 in a single day.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The risk is high if Canada were flooded with USA tourists. A few people here and there is not going to have a major effect, since we already have the virus circulating albeit at a low level ...
Possibly ... the question is whether Canada is being flooded with USA tourists.

In a week in June 2020, non-trucker land crossings are reported to be 66K where in 2019, non-trucker land crossings were 1.1 million.
Note that the stat is crossings from the US so Canadians returning from the US would be lumped into these numbers.

Compared to when the border was first closed, there's more crossings. Whether they are tourists, Canadians returning or US citizens trying to visit dying parents is not clear. Either way, compared to previous years - the number are still low.

Cheers

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't buy that answer Topo. If you see someone driving DUI, do you not think you should report it as a risk to public safety? If someone should be quarantining and is not, they are also a risk to public safety.
Longtimeago, what are the chances that someone would contract Covid from these particular people? It is not that everybody else walking around is negative. I would argue it is way more likely to get the virus from friends, co-workers, and family members than from some tourist walking in the park.

I don't think you can differentiate between 'degrees' of risk to public safety.
How could you reasonably reach such a conclusion?? You know nothing about me. What if I were to conclude that you couldn't hike the Kilimanjaro?

If you had 2 neighbours not quarantining who should be, could you say, 'well this one needs to be reported because they are going around and having a lot of interactions but this other one does not need to be reported because they are only having a few interactions.'
I am not making such a determination at all. I am not choosing who to report. I didn't report Virginia. Neither would I report California, Florida, or Kansas.

What is a 'major effect'? If the occupants of the car you saw do have Covid and infect 2 people, 4, 10? How many are you OK with?
Have you ever thought about the police officer and border agent plus their families who would get exposed to Covid-19, because I called a license plate? How many are you okay with?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts