Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some disturbing news out of Banff, Alberta.

Such a reason probably won't get them across the Border into other provinces but this could be a problem for BC and Alberta obviously.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
^ Maybe the CBSA officers should "think" about getting clarification from their superiors from Ottawa on this "loophole" other than checking off a list off (on top of their head) regarding US visitors. All it takes to infect others is just one undetected infected person ... maybe prayers might work better here.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Some disturbing news out of Banff, Alberta.

Such a reason probably won't get them across the Border into other provinces but this could be a problem for BC and Alberta obviously.
Our phase 3, set to start on June 21st, will allow western province people to enter manitoba without the 14 day quarantine.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I don't have any problem with inter-provincial travel, and in fact I am currently travelling between two western provinces myself.

But I am very concerned about people entering Canada from the US.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Caution is being thrown to the wind. Everything will open up and we will see what happens.

Hopefully the virus will be contained, but that has proven an illusive effort so far.

Seniors and those at risk should stay home, but Ontario is opening up LTC and retirement homes, so even that precaution is being undermined here.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
I almost wonder if people like this use a loophole because it exists. Would they have come to Canada if the border wasn't closed?

I feel like we should be getting such transiting people to sign a declaration at the border and if they are found to be breaching the conditions of entry, they should be fined and expelled. Can't Americans just fly to Alaska?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a USA tv show called, 'What would you do'. They set up situations and video what people do in the given set of circumstances. So for example they might set up a situation in a restaurant where one 'customer' apparently starts an argument, insults, etc. with another 'customer'. The point is to see if people will 'step up' and 'do the right thing' or whether they will just do nothing when they see something that is obviously wrong happening.

So my question is, when the server heard the answer to 'where are you from' was Texas, why did that server not DO SOMETHING about it, like phone the police or CBSA.

Instead she posted on Facebook and eventually that led to CTV Calgary picking up on it and running the story. I don't want a story on CTV, I want to see people reporting to the appropriate authorities when they discover someone risking our health.

Why did the CTV not run a story on the inappropriate behaviour of the server once it was known the customers were from Texas and flaunting our quarantine. Why did the CTV story not encourage all citizens to do their duty in such a situation.

Think about it, why did the server not call the police and why did CTV not call out the server.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
There is a USA tv show called, 'What would you do'. They set up situations and video what people do in the given set of circumstances. So for example they might set up a situation in a restaurant where one 'customer' apparently starts an argument, insults, etc. with another 'customer'. The point is to see if people will 'step up' and 'do the right thing' or whether they will just do nothing when they see something that is obviously wrong happening.

So my question is, when the server heard the answer to 'where are you from' was Texas, why did that server not DO SOMETHING about it, like phone the police or CBSA.
... why don't you ask yourself that question "if I was the server, would I called the CBSA or the police? I bet the answer would have been an astounding "no" ... likely with a thousand narratives of your own of why not.

Instead she posted on Facebook and eventually that led to CTV Calgary picking up on it and running the story. I don't want a story on CTV, I want to see people reporting to the appropriate authorities when they discover someone risking our health.
.. who cares what you want ... like her to do the CBSA's job. Even her boss didn't expect her to do a reporting. I think she did the right thing and thank goodness CTV picked it up and reported it ... so you and I plus millions of other "Canadians" are aware of it ... including those heads at Ottawa.

Why did the CTV not run a story on the inappropriate behaviour of the server once it was known the customers were from Texas and flaunting our quarantine. Why did the CTV story not encourage all citizens to do their duty in such a situation.
... what inappropriate behaviour of the server. Are you deeming her of not reporting directly to CBSA (aka doing their jobs) as "inappropriate"? I think even she reported it to her local police, they probably would have shoved it under a "non-story" category.

I'm guessing either you didn't have the opportunity to the outcome of reporting minor nuisance (not uncriminal) such as graffiti which is technically vandalism and wait for the police's action on it ... zzzz ... or that you're not up to date with what your local police dep't's functions really are.

Think about it, why did the server not call the police and why did CTV not call out the server.
... simply because the server didn't have a duty to or even obligated to to post it even on FB let alone call CBSA. By posting on her FB page, she's already running a risk of ... well potential unstable yankee visitors' mentality of MYOB.

Bottomline: Now this "loophole" is out, don't you think the "appropriate" question should be "what is CBSA gonna to do about it? Take a guess. And stop pestering the local Calgarian police dep't with an issue that's outside their depth.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I agree that it was not the servers duty to report. If everyone feels empowered to report on anyone else, what kind of nation are we creating. I think the server already went well-beyond her responsibilities by posting on FB.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some citizens do realize their responsibilities and act accordingly.

There are laws both federal and provincial which apply to not reporting a crime you become aware of.

So yes, it IS the responsibility of any Canadian to report a crime if they become aware of there being one committed. It is not a question of being 'empowered' to report on someone, it is a question of doing the responsible thing and reporting a crime.

If you see someone breaking into your neighbour's house do you do nothing or do you report a crime in progress?

The bigger issue here though is how many more people are going to say they are 'transitting to Alaska' and then as in the Banff example, openly admit they are 'taking a vacation' and knowingly flouting our quarantine. The people in Golden returning home to Alaska, were at best adding 8 hours onto their trip 'going home' vs. the usual route.

With summer beginning, are there going to be more American tourists using this loophole to vacation in the Canadian Rockies?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Yes, we need snitch lines for everything.
Call the secret police to come and snatch violators into quarantine.

FFS, I think that the quarantine, and COVID steps are appropriate, but this is really turning into a test run into a police state.
Of course, once you restrict people from meeting with each other, make sure you track every person they ever meet with a contact tracing app.
Make sure you control the media and block any "harmful" messages.

I predict next a strong government push against encryption and any hard to block or censor communication.
This includes anonymous cryptocurrencies, end to end encrypted communication, and privacy technology as encrypted, DNS (ie DNS over TLS, DNS over HTTPS).

Of course it's for our own good.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

There are laws both federal and provincial which apply to not reporting a crime you become aware of.

So yes, it IS the responsibility of any Canadian to report a crime if they become aware of there being one committed. It is not a question of being 'empowered' to report on someone, it is a question of doing the responsible thing and reporting a crime.

If you see someone breaking into your neighbour's house do you do nothing or do you report a crime in progress?

The bigger issue here though is how many more people are going to say they are 'transitting to Alaska' and then as in the Banff example, openly admit they are 'taking a vacation' and knowingly flouting our quarantine. The people in Golden returning home to Alaska, were at best adding 8 hours onto their trip 'going home' vs. the usual route.

With summer beginning, are there going to be more American tourists using this loophole to vacation in the Canadian Rockies?
... and so you reported it to the Police, such as the example I've given (graffiti= vandlism) and what do you think the Police did? Nothing! In fact, I witnessed the act being done "in front" (aka live) of the police themselves. Guess what the police did? Nothing! Yawn!

Mind you this US visitors' loophole is not an emergency, like a burglary, arson, hit & run, or murder so the reporting of the so-called perceived "crime" is pointless. Unless you got nothing else to do.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

FFS, I think that the quarantine, and COVID steps are appropriate, but this is really turning into a test run into a police state.
Of course, once you restrict people from meeting with each other, make sure you track every person they ever meet with a contact tracing app.

I predict next a strong government push against encryption and any hard to block or censor communication.
This includes anonymous cryptocurrencies, end to end encrypted communication, and privacy technology as encrypted, DNS (ie DNS over TLS, DNS over HTTPS).

Instead of posting extreme views MrMatt, why don't you just address the ISSUE at hand? What would you deem it appropriate to do if YOU became aware that some Americans were obviously ignoring our quarantine requirement and just going around your town as they pleased?

Are we to presume that YOU would do nothing? Yes or no?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... and so you reported it to the Police, such as the example I've given (graffiti= vandlism) and what do you think the Police did? Nothing! In fact, I witnessed the act being done "in front" (aka live) of the police themselves. Guess what the police did? Nothing! Yawn!

Mind you this US visitors' loophole is not an emergency, like a burglary, arson, hit & run, or murder so the reporting of the so-called perceived "crime" is pointless. Unless you got nothing else to do.
The same question for you as for MrMatt. What would YOU do if you became aware of a situation such as the OP describes Beaver101? Again are we to presume YOU would do nothing? Yes or no?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I am concerned with these illegal crossings especially from high spread areas. In the US certain states are being very strict about enforcement. There have been multitalented cases where some one has broken the quarantine rules by travelling with out isolating, working with symptoms, sneaking into a state where they shouldn’t be. The police have been called, and the people fined or detained. I don’t see anything wrong with this at all.

If I was in Banff and met up with the Americans I would be calling RCMP. The reason we are ale to open some things up is because it’s been relatively well controlled. This isn’t over yet. Right now the groups increasing infection is the 20-35 year olds. They don’t have symptoms and may be the super spreaders.

Can people stop being so selfish? I also wear mask to protect others, but I hope they do the same for me. Any one who doesn’t wear a mask is just selfish (unless they have a medical reason).

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am concerned with these illegal crossings especially from high spread areas. In the US certain states are being very strict about enforcement. There have been multitalented cases where some one has broken the quarantine rules by travelling with out isolating, working with symptoms, sneaking into a state where they shouldn’t be. The police have been called, and the people fined or detained. I don’t see anything wrong with this at all.

If I was in Banff and met up with the Americans I would be calling RCMP. The reason we are ale to open some things up is because it’s been relatively well controlled. This isn’t over yet. Right now the groups increasing infection is the 20-35 year olds. They don’t have symptoms and may be the super spreaders.

Can people stop being so selfish? I also wear mask to protect others, but I hope they do the same for me. Any one who doesn’t wear a mask is just selfish (unless they have a medical reason).
Glad to hear you would 'do the right thing' Plugging Along, rather than start spouting off about becoming a police state and a population of 'snitches' as some here think it is smart to do.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
The same question for you as for MrMatt. What would YOU do if you became aware of a situation such as the OP describes Beaver101? Again are we to presume YOU would do nothing? Yes or no?
... how about YOU ANSWERING the question first since I asked first in post #8 ... and made a prediction.

The answer (mine's) has already been provided ... the lady-server did the right thing with posting/reporting on FB first rather than directly to CBSA/local police dep't. That you don't seem to get or adamantly deeming or flacking her or what she did was "inappropriate".

Repeating my question, if YOU WERE in her shoes, would you have reported it directly to CBSA or the police dep't? Yes or No?

And please do not deflect from the question with PA - her is a different issue which is the use of a mask ...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... how about YOU ANSWERING the question first since I asked first in post #8 ... and made a prediction.

The answer (mine's) has already been provided ... the lady-server did the right thing with posting/reporting on FB first rather than directly to CBSA/local police dep't. That you don't seem to get or adamantly deeming or flacking her or what she did was "inappropriate".

Repeating my question, if YOU WERE in her shoes, would you have reported it directly to CBSA or the police dep't? Yes or No?

And please do not deflect from the question with PA - her is a different issue which is the use of a mask ...
I would have called the police Beaver101, I think that was clearly the position I expected any responsible citizen to take. Why you would think as you 'predicted' in post #8 that I would not call is mystifying to me. If I am writing that it would be the responsible thing to do then obviously I would do so. If I did not, then I would be being irresponsible. So you were trying to suggest that while saying 'act responsibly' that I would personally act irresponsibly?

That you apparently would not, speaks only for you.

Plugging Along specifically addressed the issue with an affirmative response of 'I would be calling the RCMP'. I am not deflecting anything.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts

I think Americans are not part of 'us'. They don't give Canadians any special consideration. I have no problem fining and booting them out of the country if they violate the conditions of entry to Canada.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I would have called the police Beaver101, I think that was clearly the position I expected any responsible citizen to take. Why you would think as you 'predicted' in post #8 that I would not call is mystifying to me. If I am writing that it would be the responsible thing to do then obviously I would do so. If I did not, then I would be being irresponsible. So you were trying to suggest that while saying 'act responsibly' that I would personally act irresponsibly?

That you apparently would not, speaks only for you.
... your assumption is that everyone else other than yourself would act irresponsibly.

Did it not occur to you that "your act holy of 'personal' responsibility' of reporting "directly to CBSA or the police dep't" would mean a good possibility that no one else would know about it other than yourself, CBSA, or the police dep't? Do you think the CBSA/police dep't is going to REPORT this to the media to inform everyone else in Canada that this is happening?

Also I made the prediction that you wouldn't because you've been confining yourself in your Fort Knox since the beginning of the pandemic. So what're the chances of you snitching on your neighbours' open BBQ parties say let alone being anywhere near Banff? Get real.

Plugging Along specifically addressed the issue with an affirmative response of 'I would be calling the RCMP'. I am not deflecting anything.
... only if she was there or in that situation. She might have 2nd thoughts even then.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts