Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For second time in a couple of weeks, Amazon have failed to deliver.

The first order was a gift and never was delivered, yet it was apparently shipped. Had to call and get a credit.

Second order was supposed to arrive yesterday. Again it was shipped by vendor, but it again seems to be lost.

Tracking says:
Now expected 17 October - 27 October
We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by 27 October, you can come back here the next day for a refund.

I used to buy from Amazon because delivery was often better than expected. Now they don't deliver at all. We have had this happen 4 times this year. One time the part turned up 3 months after ordering!

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
I've had delays like this several times over the last few months.

I try to avoid buying anything that is not 'sold by and shipped from Amazon'. In my experience, the only reliable stuff from Amazon is stuff they actually ship. There's a lot of garbage among the other vendors, plus if you find a listing that is a conduit to the vendors, you often don't know WHICH exact product or vendor you're going to end up with. That's when the details of the item shifts around, and you can end up with something that doesn't match the listing. Many of those vendors are in China and the mail can take forever to come.

For many years now, I only go with stuff shipped from Amazon whenever possible. You have to watch out for the same thing with places like Walmart and their "marketplace". I really hate this "marketplace" concept where the big brand (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy) makes it look like they are selling something, but it's really some dude in Hangzhou selling the stuff. If you're lucky, it's some dude in Mississauga.

Increasingly, I'm buying from domestic companies (places like Canadian Tire, London Drugs, and Shopper's new Wellwise) where I'm actually buying something they sell, which ships from them.

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
Oh god help you if you ever want to return anything from Amazon.

If you want the possibility of refunds, buy from a real domestic retailer. That's one reason I'm happy to pay more to buy from an actual retailer.

Bought some clothes from Sportchek yesterday, some good sales. I can thank COVID for wakening me to some of this new stuff. It started with some great hiking shoes I bought from Sportchek early in the pandemic... now I actually look at their sales and buy other stuff from them. Just bought some nice winter clothes, and picked it up from the store. Might order something similar for my dad and have it shipped to his home.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Oh! I did not know that about refunds.
I spent 325 bucks.
I hope it arrives.
If not I will complain to you for not telling me earlier.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I’ve never had a hard time returning with Amazon. perhaps the delays that are being faced have to do with the shipping companies? I seem to get tracking numbers Quickly, and items make their way to my neighbouring large city.......it’s there that things tend to stall......the final leg to my rural home.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I was expecting delivery yesterday.
Now told maybe Monday .... If not check about getting a refund.
I've always been amazed how quickly Amazon delivers. I've ordered stuff in the afternoon and I get it the next morning.

I think the huge increase in online ordering caused by the pandemic has likely caught Amazon and other retailers by surprise and so they are doing catchup.

I don't see why anyone would want a refund if a delivery is a few days late?

I also buy everything I can online as I sure don't want to enter a store when it's not necessary. I just don't understand risking my life going to a Sportcheck for a pair of track-pants.

ltr

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can see why Amazon is killing other retailers. I have never ever had a problem. Always on time and heads up for a 3 hour expected arrival. In London I get next day delivery with prime and no charge. Mrs. Zipper and I enjoy all the Prime Video shows that more than make up for the monthly fee.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I return stuff to amazon, they just send you a label to print out, then you drop off at Purolator.
I buy a LOT, and they've delayed stuff a few days, occasionally cancel orders, but overall quite good.

Sportcheck, and National sports have great clearance deals online, and the returns are pretty easy as well.

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
The Amazon Prime Membership is a bargain.

Free shipping on Amazon stocked items, Amazon Prime movies and shows, Amazon Music, Amazon Photos, and it all hooks up with Amazon Echo devices.

I will also give Amazon a plug for their Echo devices. They are amazing.

We mounted one in the kitchen and it is hooked up to Sirius XM radio, Rogers Ignite TV, Youtube, and can do pretty much anything a computer can do.

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Amazon can take a long time for refunds, because of some vendors who stall for weeks or months that they are "processing" orders.

Amazon won't cancel or refund orders that are still processing. The good news is that if the vendors get a lot of complaints, Amazon gives them the boot.

As James said though......you have to look at the product description on where the item is being shipped from before hitting the buy button. Also check to make sure they aren't adding on additional shipping charges. I have almost ordered products that cost $20 and wanted $100 for shipping from China.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I second j4b's post #2:

...I try to avoid buying anything that is not 'sold by and shipped from Amazon'. In my experience, the only reliable stuff from Amazon is stuff they actually ship. ...
... plus any delays or items gone missing should be the primary responsibility of the courier.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Oh god help you if you ever want to return anything from Amazon.

If you want the possibility of refunds, buy from a real domestic retailer. That's one reason I'm happy to pay more to buy from an actual retailer.

Bought some clothes from Sportchek yesterday, some good sales. I can thank COVID for wakening me to some of this new stuff. It started with some great hiking shoes I bought from Sportchek early in the pandemic... now I actually look at their sales and buy other stuff from them. Just bought some nice winter clothes, and picked it up from the store. Might order something similar for my dad and have it shipped to his home.
In the US it's like 2 clicks on amazon and then drop off at UPS (which is next to my grocery store and more convenient than driving to stores) You can just show UPS a scan code in the amazon app or print the label if you so desire. Some retailer (that are dying) customer service now also takes amazon returns

I actually bought some hiking shoes on amazon and was off by half a size. They just come in the shoe box in a resealable bag with instructions not to destroy the bag because they know of the high chance of return.

I could have tried them on at REI but those are always much further away. Like an hour there an hour back. A delivery model is far more efficient. I ended up stopping at REI on the way to hiking and they were crowded and sold out of basic things like camping fuel because everyone is hiking

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
In the US it's like 2 clicks on amazon and then drop off at UPS (which is next to my grocery store and more convenient than driving to stores) You can just show UPS a scan code in the amazon app or print the label if you so desire. Some retailer (that are dying) customer service now also takes amazon returns

I actually bought some hiking shoes on amazon and was off by half a size. They just come in the shoe box in a resealable bag with instructions not to destroy the bag because they know of the high chance of return.

I could have tried them on at REI but those are always much further away. Like an hour there an hour back. A delivery model is far more efficient. I ended up stopping at REI on the way to hiking and they were crowded and sold out of basic things like camping fuel because everyone is hiking
I think the environmental impact has to be emphasized. It's way better to pull from a warehouse and deliver to every house in a neighbourhood than each of us running out separately to a store.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think the environmental impact has to be emphasized. It's way better to pull from a warehouse and deliver to every house in a neighbourhood than each of us running out separately to a store.
Has this been proven? it “feels“ wasteful to have a delivery Truck Stop by my house once or even twice a day (for some people) Vs. Me heading out once a week to get everything I need for a week.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Has this been proven? it “feels“ wasteful to have a delivery Truck Stop by my house once or even twice a day (for some people) Vs. Me heading out once a week to get everything I need for a week.
But the delivery truck is also delivering to another fifty people on the same trip. You're not.

ltr

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
... and all those packaging that comes with the deliveries. Thank god, they don't use foam peanuts for the packagings.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Well most trucks I see are small vans, about the size of a minivan.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts