Canadian Money Forum banner
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
We had prime for a while, but cancelled last year. The shipping didn't seem to be affected. I suspect that prime subscriptions are are a significant enough number now and the shipping methodology has matured and centered around prime service. It's now sensible to freeload and not pay for prime but still get prime-esque shipping.
Likely true, but for the low fee, I like the convenience of not thinking about it.
Plus occasionally they have some good shows.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Interestingly, AMZN has not yet reached my stop price, though it got awfully close!

So hypothetically, if I had gone short at $1777, I would still be short today. I am also starting to suspect that part of that amazing pop up above $2000 was a short covering rally which makes me think it was a temporary effect.

(But in fact I am long, not short, since AMZN is 3.2% of the S&P 500 index)

You don't diversify your equities beyond tech? That's a very high concentration in single stocks.
James i am 90% equities just seen this now :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
AMZN is raising its base pay cap from $160k to $350k, more than doubling it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Price has slid with all other us stock sell offs, except for miners. But we hold about 50k of this thing. Usually limit ourselves to no more than 16k in a single company, but here AMZN is like a whole ecosystem too big to ignore.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I just skimmed through this thread and it's +10 years of CMF being collectively wrong

Lots of comparisons to BTC and tulip mania etc. I think what everyone missed was the distortion of easy monetary policies. Combined with the economies of scale of such a massive addressable market.

Combined with Canada lagging US adoption. We have amazon delivery trucks here now. They text a photo immediately of delivered parcels. I don't even have to print or pack anything to make a return

This thread is a great case study of how people can be in denial of what is happening in plain sight for years

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I just skimmed through this thread and it's +10 years of CMF being collectively wrong

Lots of comparisons to BTC and tulip mania etc. I think what everyone missed was the distortion of easy monetary policies. Combined with the economies of scale of such a massive addressable market.

Combined with Canada lagging US adoption. We have amazon delivery trucks here now. They text a photo immediately of delivered parcels. I don't even have to print or pack anything to make a return

This thread is a great case study of how people can be in denial of what is happening in plain sight for years
I think it was a mix of opinions, with some real insight.

You have to remember that Amazon still charged delivery fees to everyone 10 years ago, it was a different customer experience.

I remember thinking back then, Amazon could have easily bought the Sears delivery network in Canada and gotten next day depot delivery across the country in no time. They actually did do that strategy with their various locker systems etc.

The other thing you miss on a discussion forum is that it should be a sharing of ideas and perspectives, a wide variety of interpretations and analysis is a great value IMO.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Reacher.
Just got to say, I didn't know if Amazon was serious about streaming, or if they just want to have the entertainment storefront to sell more.

In any case, their Reacher series is amazing. I wonder what they're going to Prime going forward. Are they going to try and squash Netflix?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Reacher.
Just got to say, I didn't know if Amazon was serious about streaming, or if they just want to have the entertainment storefront to sell more.

In any case, their Reacher series is amazing. I wonder what they're going to Prime going forward. Are they going to try and squash Netflix?
Reacher might be next on my watch list. Currently going through all of The Expanse (for a second time), so that I can finish off with the final season.

·
Registered
14,699 Posts

I think what people tend to miss is than AMZN is almost entirely AWS and the retail business has close to zero value.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I think what people tend to miss is than AMZN is almost entirely AWS and the retail business has close to zero value.
Maybe low revenue but I disagree about value. Data is valuable especially data on consumer behaviour and trends.

People under appreciate the value of data. Amazon can influence you just like google with data. They also undercut the small businesses that survived Walmart. Amazon has sacrificed revenue for decades to become a behemoth. I remember 7 or 8 years ago posting how there were piles of amazon packages at all the US hotels. Everyone on here just complained how amazon sucks in Canada

Canada is just lagging in change and awareness of what is changing by about 5 years. Even today I don't think amazon Canada has the same variety of products

·
Registered
14,699 Posts
From what I gather, Amazon's retail business is only profitable due to search (third party sellers buying top of search placement). But, if you value the business units of Amazon, AWS represents essentially all the value of AMZN. Maybe if they spin out AWS it would reduce the conglomerate discount and make the retail business not worth essentially nil.

Amazon will never put the kind of effort into the Canadian market that they put into the US market. They will copy and paste what is shown to work in the US, but later and worse.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
From what I gather, Amazon's retail business is only profitable due to search (third party sellers buying top of search placement). But, if you value the business units of Amazon, AWS represents essentially all the value of AMZN. Maybe if they spin out AWS it would reduce the conglomerate discount and make the retail business not worth essentially nil.

Amazon will never put the kind of effort into the Canadian market that they put into the US market. They will copy and paste what is shown to work in the US, but later and worse.
I think the Amazon logistics system, by running at near cost gives them an insurmountable moat.
If you're selling "mail order", Amazon FBA is the obvious choice, you're not going to be faster or cheaper.

I'm not sure what the plan for Amazon video productions are, but they're good, high budget productions.

161 - 180 of 218 Posts