Canadian Money Forum banner
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
All data and code should be open source and transparent imo

Elon Musk doesn't patent any of his tech and he's doing just fine. He bought 9% of Twitter because they were controlling too much and also not even controlling the bots and spam. Same problem with "Meta" A few companies should not have so much control

Web3 and blockchain is an attack on the FAANG oligarchy that controls and profits off the vast majority of our data. The reason it can grow so fast is because of the hive mind collaboration of open source data and code
. One thing with Amazon that shouldn't be overlooked is their success in cloud computing. They are the leader it is growing at a great pace and it is extremely profitable. This is also the case with Microsoft and to a lesser extent with Google.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
amazon had the US government cloud computing contract

Trump changed it to Microsoft allegedly because of the Bezos/WashPo connection

As a user of that contract it went downhill with microsoft. It's just like switching from apple to microsoft

Things that just worked transparent to the user are now a daily nuissance

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of taking a short position in AMZN here, around $3280
I decided to stick with my passive asset allocation, instead of speculating on individuals shares.

If I had been short, I would probably cover at least half the position here around $2819 or on the next weak day in the market. That would have been a quick 14% profit.

I'm trying to avoid the temptation to speculate on individual stocks like this as it's probably healthier to keep focused on passive investing.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Down 12% this morning. I have always thought the stock was overpriced but like the business model.
I think it's been overvalued for years, but that's also symptomatic of the past bull market cycle where everyone was gaga about tech, and willing to pay crazy multiples for it.

If we're shifting to an environment of tightening liquidity and NON extreme multiples for tech, AMZN and many tech stocks are going to fall considerably.

It's really all about the P/E multiples. They have been extremely high in tech for many years now and AMZN has been kind of a poster child for that.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Down 35% from 52 week high and still overpriced in my opinion. After many years of overperformance it is unlikely for the sector to achieve similar results. There will be some stocks that will do well going forward. I am waiting for the sector to go lower before initiating a position in any of them. As you stated it is really about P/E multiples especially in a declining market.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I think it's been overvalued for years, but that's also symptomatic of the past bull market cycle where everyone was gaga about tech, and willing to pay crazy multiples for it.

If we're shifting to an environment of tightening liquidity and NON extreme multiples for tech, AMZN and many tech stocks are going to fall considerably.

It's really all about the P/E multiples. They have been extremely high in tech for many years now and AMZN has been kind of a poster child for that.
PE of somewhere around 45, for a company thats still growing pretty well is a bit rich, but even if it slows I'm happy with the long term prospects.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Share price hovering just above $2100 and down significantly (>40%) from its 52 week high at $3773. With P/E in the low 50s is this a more reasonable valuation? It doesn't seem to be that screaming of a deal as the P/E was in the 40s earlier this year. I am looking to start a position but have difficulty pricing growth stocks.

Amazon.com Inc PE Ratio (TTM) Historical Data | AMZN - GuruFocus.com

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think their growth is stalling out. They have acknowledged that they have overbuilt their warehouse capacity.There cloud business is very strong and profitable. They still dominant on line retailing and that won't change.People that regularly use Amazon are very loyal to it. They might have to increase their prices and fees a bit. I don't think that will hurt them.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
People that regularly use Amazon are very loyal to it. They might have to increase their prices and fees a bit. I don't think that will hurt them.
Walmart really stepped up their online shopping in the US during the pandemic

Now that amazon increased the price for prime I started using Walmart and they ship faster (typically from the local Walmart) Also easy enough to drive the 30 mins for a return etc

amazon went the opposite direction. A lot of good stuff I used to buy kept going out of stock, price increases etc

·
Registered
933 Posts
Walmart really stepped up their online shopping in the US during the pandemic

Now that amazon increased the price for prime I started using Walmart and they ship faster (typically from the local Walmart) Also easy enough to drive the 30 mins for a return etc

amazon went the opposite direction. A lot of good stuff I used to buy kept going out of stock, price increases etc
Depends were you live. I am close to Calgary and I usually get my deliveries next day. I haven't had the positive experience you have had with Walmart. I don't like driving to their stores for my pickups. Anyways their financials don't show any decline in their sales. Perhaps some slowing growth. Their cloud business is a juggernaut . If gas prices keep going up I can see people preferring Amazon then driving to stores.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Yea I meant Walmart US. Completely different.

They deliver faster than amazon here and amazon is faster here than most of Canada. Maybe major cities in Canada are different

Pre-pandemic amazon had same day amazon fresh delivery from say Whole Foods

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Yea I meant Walmart US. Completely different.

They deliver faster than amazon here and amazon is faster here than most of Canada. Maybe major cities in Canada are different

Pre-pandemic amazon had same day amazon fresh delivery from say Whole Foods
I think walmart Grocery delivery is simply doordash or some other service.
It sucks.

I do pickup, because they actually provide some sort of training to the shoppers who gather your order.
I don't think the delivery guys are the same, as our delivered orders are a disaster.

As far as Amazon, they're adding a warehouse in London, and we have at least 1 depot.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts