Canadian Money Forum banner
181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Okay, Amazon Movies/TV, what's going on?

They took over the Jack Ryan series, did it exceptionally well.
They did Reacher.. again excellent job
Now they're doing Lord of the Rings, which is insanely ambitious, Peter Jackson really set the standard with that series.

what are they trying to do? Create a video entertainment division?
I think this could be a good idea, you go to Amazon, then watch free of paid content, and they've got enough good content to install the App.

Also I think it's a great idea to take some longer running series (ie Tom Clancy/Lee Child) as they provide near endless storylines that are already written.

But with Apple buying up Foundation (big fan, I'd consider trying Apple TV just to get access to that)

Are they trying to buy Prime subscribers?
I'm looking at my spending, it's Walmart, Amazon & Costco.
Homedepot for house repairs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Okay, Amazon Movies/TV, what's going on?

They took over the Jack Ryan series, did it exceptionally well.
They did Reacher.. again excellent job
Now they're doing Lord of the Rings, which is insanely ambitious, Peter Jackson really set the standard with that series.

what are they trying to do? Create a video entertainment division?
I think this could be a good idea, you go to Amazon, then watch free of paid content, and they've got enough good content to install the App.

Also I think it's a great idea to take some longer running series (ie Tom Clancy/Lee Child) as they provide near endless storylines that are already written.

But with Apple buying up Foundation (big fan, I'd consider trying Apple TV just to get access to that)

Are they trying to buy Prime subscribers?
I'm looking at my spending, it's Walmart, Amazon & Costco.
Homedepot for house repairs.
Their actions make a lot of sense as a strategy. Ensure the customer values prime for more than free shipping, keeps coming back, and pays the membership fee. Unlike Netflix, they can break even or lose money on the shows but make profit on other aspects of the customer relationship. Apple are similarly positioned to Amazon in this respect.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Their actions make a lot of sense as a strategy. Ensure the customer values prime for more than free shipping, keeps coming back, and pays the membership fee. Unlike Netflix, they can break even or lose money on the shows but make profit on other aspects of the customer relationship. Apple are similarly positioned to Amazon in this respect.
I don't get the Apple comparison, the closest is you buy an Apple device and then you use the Apple store and Apple services. But in the Apple case that's more lock in and anti-competative than offering more value.

On my Android I have both the Google and the Samsung App stores i can buy apps from whichever one suits me best, I can even install the Amazon app store (or sideload others).
Similarly on Windows I can use Microsoft Store, Epic, ValveSteam, and others.

I'm hoping courts will break the stranglehold Apple has on their platform, it will be good for consumers (not as good for my retirement though).

I do think Amazon could run their consumer division like Costco, make money on the membership fee, run everything else at cost/razor thin margins.

I've recently read that Amazon now delivers more packages than Fedex (in the US), and Amazon gets about $4.28/package vs $12-18 for the couriers.
It would be really hard for anyone to compete with that logistic system. As a retailer, you can't cover the $10 cost advantage of Amazon.

But yes, I see huge value in Prime.
I get fast 'free" shipping, free Apps for my phone, a selection of free high quality video, and buying/renting other choices is right there in the same app.
Even at this insane valuation I'm thinking of buying more stock, though I've been wanting to pick up a bit of MSFT for a while.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't get the Apple comparison, the closest is you buy an Apple device and then you use the Apple store and Apple services. But in the Apple case that's more lock in and anti-competative than offering more value.
Regarding Apple. It's not about the store. It's about how the services make whole product solutions. Two dimensions. First, their services are often available free for some period of time when one purchases a device. For instance, Apple TV+ (their shows) is free for three months when one buys any new device. Second, desirable and carefully curated services that illustrate the performance of a device make it seem to be worth more. Music and great videos show case the superior screen and audio performance (for free during the promotional period). A watch with fitness classes built in (another free trial) that are easy to use and report your data clearly makes it seem to be more capable than just any smartwatch that takes your pulse.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Regarding Apple. It's not about the store. It's about how the services make whole product solutions. Two dimensions. First, their services are often available free for some period of time when one purchases a device. For instance, Apple TV+ (their shows) is free for three months when one buys any new device. Second, desirable and carefully curated services that illustrate the performance of a device make it seem to be worth more. Music and great videos show case the superior screen and audio performance (for free during the promotional period). A watch with fitness classes built in (another free trial) that are easy to use and report your data clearly makes it seem to be more capable than just any smartwatch that takes your pulse.
Most platforms offer free trials.

Cloud development does even better with most services offering an "always free" baseline level of service.
AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle (Amazing free tier BTW)

I think Apple does a good job of cross device integration, it's much more fragmented in the Android/PC world.
I think their level of lock might allow them to get lazy, Microsoft and Blackberry got lazy and paid a price, MSFT recovered, BB didn't.
As an Apple shareholder, I'm concerned that they'll get content with their captive market.

That being said, I just got a Google TV/Chromecast device, and it's wonderful.
I add all my services (Youtube, netflix, Disney, Amazon, AppleTV) and they all show up on a single screen

I think Amazon is trying to make themselves the portal to online retail, including entertainment services.
Just like Google and Apple are trying to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone see any fundamental difference (besides the obvious) between the Canadian and US AMZN shares? There is 2 orders of magnitude difference in share price, but they have tracked each other almost 1:1 since the Canadian shares were listed last year. With the US ones you have the benefit/penalty of currency exchange, but is there any preference for one over the other which I'm missing?

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Does anyone see any fundamental difference (besides the obvious) between the Canadian and US AMZN shares? There is 2 orders of magnitude difference in share price, but they have tracked each other almost 1:1 since the Canadian shares were listed last year. With the US ones you have the benefit/penalty of currency exchange, but is there any preference for one over the other which I'm missing?
You're not buying Amazon shares you're buying CDR, most of which appear to be hedged.
I don't see the point, but some people like to mix in currency hedging with their investing.

I'd only buy an ADR or CDR when it's difficult to buy the actual stock

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yah, I guess we are an outlier. We knew we were into investing for about 15 years before any serious draw down, so bought a whack of individual stocks to save the ETF mer, which 15 years ago was not near zero like it is now. So we have a current passel of about 75 stocks with the average holding being about $12K at present. So kinda like a home brewed etf,

AMAZ though counts for about three companys worth of holdings, so we have worked our way up to 15 shares, after the first 10 were bought over 10 years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're not buying Amazon shares you're buying CDR, most of which appear to be hedged.
I don't see the point, but some people like to mix in currency hedging with their investing.

I'd only buy an ADR or CDR when it's difficult to buy the actual stock
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of how these (handful of US companies) were structured, but did a bit of reading into it, and understand now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of taking a short position in AMZN here, around $3280
Why? Their retail revenue is still somewhere around half of Walmart, lots of room to grow.

If I'm looking for something often Amazon is my first stop.

They're also taking big bets in a number of fronts, particularly media
I think the long term prospects for Amazon are great.

AWS is a nice profit center, but I think Microsoft is being very aggressive with some success. I'm not quite as confident here.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Why? Their retail revenue
It's been a high momentum, beloved tech stock that everyone has piled into. It's a crowded trade and way too popular.

Their PE (even their forward PE) is far too high for a maturing company. It's ludicrously high actually. If this becomes a low growth or recessionary environment, this stock -- like all large cap tech -- is way overvalued.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Most platforms offer free trials.

Cloud development does even better with most services offering an "always free" baseline level of service.
AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle (Amazing free tier BTW)

I think Apple does a good job of cross device integration, it's much more fragmented in the Android/PC world.
I think their level of lock might allow them to get lazy, Microsoft and Blackberry got lazy and paid a price, MSFT recovered, BB didn't.
As an Apple shareholder, I'm concerned that they'll get content with their captive market.

That being said, I just got a Google TV/Chromecast device, and it's wonderful.
I add all my services (Youtube, netflix, Disney, Amazon, AppleTV) and they all show up on a single screen

I think Amazon is trying to make themselves the portal to online retail, including entertainment services.
Just like Google and Apple are trying to do.
Apple does the same. I think it's 5GB free and $1/month for 50GB except it's encrypted and not data mined like google. Then they have bundles for family and all the music/TV/news/fitness services.

I've been using Apple TV without any subscription for many years. It also does all those streaming services from a single device including local news, CBC app, and streams anything from my PC. It has the smoothest interface and syncs my home theatre perfectly

Apple iCloud also integrates seamlessly with Windows. I use Windows, Apple and Linux. I don't need to side-load iOS because it always has more apps than anything else anyways. I used to jailbreak but it defeats the protected system. I don't trust my Windows machine anywhere close to a Mac OS

I get spotify, netflix, prime and hulu free but I barely use any of them. I pay Apple $1/month but I could just store it all on Google drive for free if I didn't care about privacy. I've considered upgrading to their combo plan but again I don't need more services I barely use

You can use all the Google services, Spotify and amazon and everything else on iOS and TVOS etc so it's not captive anymore

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Most of Amazon's value is AWS. The retail business is not particularly profitable and not worth a whole lot.
But Amazon is nearly the online store monopoly, it's very hard for anyone to replicate their logistics system.
I also hold Walmart for a reason.

I think AWS is very vulnerable to Microsoft.

It might be a bit rich, but I think it's at worst a hold.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate the value of retail data that amazon has

They can adjust their own retail based on the habits they can see from data. This is why retail stores have loyalty cards - for the retail data

Same with Spotify and music data and all the streaming services. Much better consumer data when you can see what people rewatch and partially watch etc

FAANG is all about the data

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate the value of retail data that amazon has

They can adjust their own retail based on the habits they can see from data. This is why retail stores have loyalty cards - for the retail data

Same with Spotify and music data and all the streaming services. Much better consumer data when you can see what people rewatch and partially watch etc

FAANG is all about the data
That's actually one of the antitrust arguments against Amazon.

Really just look where they have Amazon Basics, they're not just guessing what to invest in.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
All data and code should be open source and transparent imo

Elon Musk doesn't patent any of his tech and he's doing just fine. He bought 9% of Twitter because they were controlling too much and also not even controlling the bots and spam. Same problem with "Meta" A few companies should not have so much control

Web3 and blockchain is an attack on the FAANG oligarchy that controls and profits off the vast majority of our data. The reason it can grow so fast is because of the hive mind collaboration of open source data and code

181 - 200 of 218 Posts