Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I do a lot of analysis for companies before buying them. Primarily this consists of looking at their historical filings and trying to figure out their current valuations. I'm very tired of trying to use Sedar.com when trying to find filings for Canadian public companies. Are there any viable alternatives that are easier to use? This site is just so archaic and does a terrible job of filtering out the documents for any given company.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
^ How about the compan(ies)' website(s), under Investor Relations? Simplest and quickest ... besides, how many documents can you analyze at once?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Do you guys have any suggestions?
My suggestion is to take the time to understand the archaic and terrible job that is SEDAR.

It's programmed to be bad to weed out the wannabees.

If you can navigate through SEDAR and get your information, then you probably know what you're doing and deserve the heads-up on the information that's needed to make money.

If the information was laid out such that you and every nit-wit could understand it, where's the advantage?

Figure it out dude.............

ltr

·
Registered
15 Posts
My suggestion is to take the time to understand the archaic and terrible job that is SEDAR.

It's programmed to be bad to weed out the wannabees.

If you can navigate through SEDAR and get your information, then you probably know what you're doing and deserve the heads-up on the information that's needed to make money.

If the information was laid out such that you and every nit-wit could understand it, where's the advantage?

Figure it out dude.............

ltr
I can't tell if you're actually being serious. Filings for Canadian public companies should be available in the most transparent manner possible. I spent a long time in the industry and it was widely agreed upon that Sedar is flat out terrible. There's a reason why we used tools like StockDox.com instead. For American companies, we used BamSEC.

It works okay for retail investors if you're only looking at filings for like one company a day. In the industry, we need filings far more frequently and readily available as fast as possible. Sedar is terrible.

The goal is to be able to view historical filings to come to proper valuations for companies, and that is the only task that should be the challenge. Trying to find documents from Sedar should not be a challenge in its own right.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The documents are certainly there, but ease of access is definitely not as simple as it should be.
Hi private equity.
Perhaps you could answer a direct question: Do you have any relationship with the dox website?

Please forgive the suspicious question, but I note that you only showed up on CMF today. You made a flurry of short posts over an hour.
Then another first-time poster arrived with a question about Sedar. You were johnny-on-the-spot with an answer -- and a hotlink. In fact, two separate hotlinks.

The odd thing is, this dox site appears to have only been created on Feb. 23. So it's hard to see how it could have been useful in your stated former life as a private equity exec.

Can you shed any light on this strange set of circumstances?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi private equity.
Perhaps you could answer a direct question: Do you have any relationship with the dox website?

Please forgive the suspicious question, but I note that you only showed up on CMF today. You made a flurry of short posts over an hour.
Then another first-time poster arrived with a question about Sedar. You were johnny-on-the-spot with an answer -- and a hotlink. In fact, two separate hotlinks.

The odd thing is, this dox site appears to have only been created on Feb. 23. So it's hard to see how it could have been useful in your stated former life as a private equity exec.

Can you shed any light on this strange set of circumstances?
I have no relationship with the dox website. Prior to using that, we actually were subscribed to InvestorX. Several months ago, another company contacted us with a new product (StockDox) and allowed us to have access to its Beta version. I suppose it only went "live" recently then as you mentioned February 23? I have no idea, but we had been using it for the past several months.

I've been a long time lurker on this forum, so decided to register recently. The flurry of posts is just regular activity as a user, so I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to there. The hot linking is a bit of an old habit as it makes things easier for others. Is there a policy here against hotlinks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts