Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like this plan is going to hit the rural municipalities pretty hard: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...-municipalities-tax-relief-industry-1.5667230

A couple of municipalities have already expressed concern about possible triple digit property tax increases for residents.
M.D. of Wainwright - M.D. of Wainwright No. 61

Not being from there, I'm wondering if property taxes were artificially low due to the oil and gas revenue, and they would be hiked to what would be considered normal in other places.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I'd say both, i.e. municipal taxes were artificially low AND municipalities have been living well doing things with tax money other municipalities could only dream of. A potion of Alberta needs to wean itself off overvalued O&G properties for tax purposes.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
None of these companies are making any money. There is no money from oil and gas companies for taxes. Alberta taxes are generally extremely low across the board because of all of the benefits from oil and gas, which has also contributed to above average wealth status for Albertans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts