Canadian Money Forum banner

airport security question?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  james4beach 
#1 ·
Wife & I are just back from a short trip to US. we flew westjet. left St. john's with a connecting flight from Toronto to Tampa. When we landed on Toronto we all followed the signs for US connections (for what seemed like about 3 miles!), til we finally ended up out in the chaotic main concourse, with other boarding passengers, where we had to get in the LONG, snakey line-up to go thru Security AGAIN (we already cleared security before boarding in St. John's). Then something new (for me) - we had to sit & watch a screen for cleared luggage until our name came up, then on to Customs! fun & games!
My question is : Can anyone tell me the reason why we had to come out & clear security again? Couldn't they have contained us inside security, as we were already cleared?
It's been a while since I've flown, but if we had just been connecting to another Canadian city, I'm assuming we would have stayed inside security & just gone directly to our connecting gate?
What's the rationale for making US-bound passengers come out clear Security a second time?
Anyone?
(BTW navigating thru YYZ airport vs TPA airport is like night & day! yyz is a hell-hole!)

#2 ·
Yes when arriving from the US, it's normal to go through security again for your domestic Canadian flight. That's always how it's been for me when coming from the US into Vancouver.

@jargey3000 a question for you, because I plan to fly to the US soon but I have lost track of all the rules.

What was required to re-enter Canada? Just ArriveCAN + proof of vaccination? Or were any tests (like rapid tests) required?

#7 ·
... My question is : Can anyone tell me the reason why we had to come out & clear security again? Couldn't they have contained us inside security, as we were already cleared?
It's been a while since I've flown, but if we had just been connecting to another Canadian city, I'm assuming we would have stayed inside security & just gone directly to our connecting gate?
No rationale I can think of ... but that's typically the way it's been for me when arriving.

When departing, if I have had to go through security a second time, it means I didn't follow the signs to the departure gates correctly or there was some sort of construction.

OTOH ... switching to the regional jet terminal didn't require a second trip through security while the San Diego airport required finding the shuttle bus without signs telling one where to go plus a second trip through security.

Cheers

#10 ·
So my kid's teammate travelled unvaxxed (16). She had her first vax, but had a really bad reaction, and was medically exempt. She was required to get a rapid travel test both times the day before they flew and had to upload the medical letter. There was another kid at the gym (14) who had one vax, got covid, and the parents didn't think it was necessary for the second dose. She ended up not being allowed to fly.

If they are not double vaxxed without a medical letter, they aren't allowed to fly.

This was based on the 2nd week of April.

#11 ·
@Plugging Along So that contradicts what is on the site: Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

Specifically this section:

Children or dependents
Any unvaccinated children must properly wear a well-constructed and well-fitting mask when in public spaces for the first 14 days after entry. This includes schools and daycares.

Youth aged 12 to 17
Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated youth 12 to 17 years of age must complete the 14-day quarantine, and all testing requirements for pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests, even when they are accompanied by travellers who qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
Follow the checklist of testing and quarantine requirements

ArriveCAN: If your submission includes travellers who are not exempt from the requirement to quarantine (for example, unvaccinated 12 to 17 year-olds or unvaccinated dependent adults), you will receive ArriveCAN notifications and will be asked to complete daily reporting for the unvaccinated travellers.

#13 · (Edited)
@Plugging Along So that contradicts what is on the site: Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

Specifically this section:

Children or dependents
Any unvaccinated children must properly wear a well-constructed and well-fitting mask when in public spaces for the first 14 days after entry. This includes schools and daycares.

Youth aged 12 to 17
Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated youth 12 to 17 years of age must complete the 14-day quarantine, and all testing requirements for pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests, even when they are accompanied by travellers who qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
Follow the checklist of testing and quarantine requirements

ArriveCAN: If your submission includes travellers who are not exempt from the requirement to quarantine (for example, unvaccinated 12 to 17 year-olds or unvaccinated dependent adults), you will receive ArriveCAN notifications and will be asked to complete daily reporting for the unvaccinated travellers.
I can't say for sure, but I do know one kid was pulled from the team for not being able to compete because she was unvaxxed and couldn't fly. The parents considered driving, but it's a long drive from AB to Niagara. Maybe the parents didn't want to go through the other hassles of testing? I would go with whatever they have on the site since it changes frequently.

UPDATED: Upon further research, the link you sent was for testing and quarantine if someone is arriving in Canada but boarding from another country. HOWEVER, if you are leaving Canada on a plane, you must be fully vaccinated. This is interesting, and can be confusing.
COVID-19 Boarding flights and trains in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

#12 ·
If you are travelling with a child, I'd get the best possible mask on them.

You don't want to take a chance with your child catching COVID in these filthy airports. With the crowds these days I think they're pretty dangerous environments. Remember that vaccinated people still infect others, and airports are full of people picking their noses and coughing.

COVID infections in children may be responsible for liver damage. Scientists are still trying to figure it out... don't take chances with your kids lives.

#14 ·
The Toronto airport is a disaster. Wait times up to 6 hours and people are cancelling flights or re-routing through the US.

It sounds like the problem is not enough airport staff due to covid absences. Our grandson and his mom fly to the UK on Monday.

I hope they have all the documentation, but I doubt it. She is the kind of person who never plans ahead.

I am likely going to have to drive them to the airport......a 3 hour drive, and likely will have to go back and pick them up because they end up not flying.

I am preparing for a long day in the vehicle going back and forth to TO.

Why people are flying today unless they have to is beyond me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.