Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Even if you bought into AC now, realistically speaking the airline industry will take at least a full year to bounce back, and who knows if AC will continue to be relevant late 2021

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
AC is the #1 buy by Canadians trading on Wealth Simple. It's not a huge number, but there are legions more signing up to brokerages all over Canada and the US.

This burst of millennial day trading is quite interesting. Look at the volume on JETS - one of the top purchases on mobile trading apps in the US. Billions is going into it and bidding up the price of US airlines.

It's just a strange phenomenon and unexpected I think. The bots and hedge funds will figure it out soon enough and if the millennial are wrong, they will find a way to make them eat it. They definitely ate it on USO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, right there on the money, doctrine, I've seen something similar happen with the HOU etf whereas people coughed up a lot of dough into it and all of a sudden, after it did burst sky high, it was impossible to take those dollar back.
that same website published a very similar article last year

and as it did happen years before, I would guess this could be very

“I had a big rally and then I got my head handed to me right away,” he said. “But the key to that is that the position was very small. I don’t remember if it was a point five per cent or one per cent.”

Newton said even optimists need to tread cautiously with stocks like AC, “if you are in the camp that things are going to get better and you say to yourself that ride-sharing like Uber and Lyft, hotels like Marriott and Hilton, airlines, travel agencies … that any of those categories are going to have explosive upside.”

“This is where it becomes really interesting because to start sniffing around in some of these battered areas is not a bad strategy but I wouldn’t be going guns ablazing into that space,” Newton said.

“Probably the best strategy if you’re interested is to take a small position with the understanding that you’re going to average in on it between now and September,” he said.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
What I find more intriguing is that millennials have spare cash to invest; how does this happen when nobody is employed any more?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
What I find more intriguing is that millennials have spare cash to invest; how does this happen when nobody is employed any more?
Unemployment was at record lows until March, and everyone has had government assistance. Millennials may not have hundreds of thousands of dollars, but they do have thousands, and are making a difference in several markets, as there are millions of them signing up at brokerages.

It reminds me a lot of the late 90's as young people surged into stocks. There are people making money, and losing money. There are sketchy investments being made, daytrading and penny stock investing, but there are a lot of people buying solid companies and also stock indexes. This may be the start of a new long term trend of millennials investing in their future, as for many of them this is their first time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unemployment was at record lows until March, and everyone has had government assistance. Millennials may not have hundreds of thousands of dollars, but they do have thousands, and are making a difference in several markets, as there are millions of them signing up at brokerages.

It reminds me a lot of the late 90's as young people surged into stocks. There are people making money, and losing money. There are sketchy investments being made, daytrading and penny stock investing, but there are a lot of people buying solid companies and also stock indexes. This may be the start of a new long term trend of millennials investing in their future, as for many of them this is their first time.
Investing in general is trending with the younger generation, probably due to advancements in financial education (not necessarily from school classes but more so from Internet access) and we're seeing the "new wave" Gen Z enter the stock market too.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. Good point that millennials apparently have a few thousand dollars.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I am much less comfortable flying now that Air Canada is not going to leave middle seats empty.

I took 3 domestic flights with AC since COVID, and was comfortable (and felt safe) only because the plane was pretty empty. There was nobody sitting beside me, and usually there was an empty row on one side.

But this has changed now with AC's announcement. I won't be flying any more in the coming months. Since AC will be filling middle seats, I can't be assured there will be this kind of space any more.

BC health authorities said they were very disappointed with AC and WJ making this decision, and said they fear this will lead to more infections.

I wonder how many people (like me) are stopping flying now because of AC's decision. I can't see myself buying another ticket until AC restores the empty seats, or the government (hopefully) forces them to.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am much less comfortable flying now that Air Canada is not going to leave middle seats empty.
I wonder if AC would allow passengers to buy the middle seat and leave it empty. That could be an option, provided they honor the sale and not fill it up when the flight is oversold (they could play all sorts of games those airlines!). The best situation would be if a window and aisle seat share the price of the empty middle seat, but that is something that practically only the airlines or travel sites can reasonable arrange.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I wonder if AC would allow passengers to buy the middle seat and leave it empty. That could be an option, provided they honor the sale and not fill it up when the flight is oversold (they could play all sorts of games those airlines!). The best situation would be if a window and aisle seat share the price of the empty middle seat, but that is something that practically only the airlines or travel sites can reasonable arrange.
I would be willing to pay extra for an empty seat beside me (or buy a spare seat for myself), but the airline would have to build that capability into their system... I'm not sure you can buy two seats with the same traveler name.

The government could also legislate and require the empty seats and then compensate the airline. I'm not a policy maker so I don't know which route is best.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would be willing to pay extra for an empty seat beside me (or buy a spare seat for myself), but the airline would have to build that capability into their system... I'm not sure you can buy two seats with the same traveler name.

The government could also legislate and require the empty seats and then compensate the airline. I'm not a policy maker so I don't know which route is best.
Best way would be to email or call to see if they would honor purchase of an extra adjacent seat.

Apparently one could buy an extra seat for a musical instrument that needs to be handled with care, such as a cello. I guess it may be time to pick up the guitar and learn a few riffs; for fun and as a future travel companion.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I'm not even sure how much extra protection comes from one extra seat. The problem is that AC is loading the planes and there are just more bodies in there, in total.

I talked to someone I saw today who just came back from the airport. She flew on a domestic AC flight and I asked her, how full was the plane? What was it like? She said ... it was completely packed full, she was scared.

That's completely different than my last 3 flights, when the plane was, at most, half full.

I'm going to stop flying for now. If Air Canada wants my business, they will need to lighten the loads. Since I would be flying to see my (older) parents, there is no way I want to take the risk of picking up the virus and THEN bringing it to them.

I think Air Canada is being totally irresponsible here. They have their business reasoning, and I make decisions with my own money too. My health comes first above all else.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
We are returning from PV via Dallas on AA and upgraded to business class to get the extra spacing. No baggage allowance and no meal/drinks service.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
We are returning from PV via Dallas on AA and upgraded to business class to get the extra spacing. No baggage allowance and no meal/drinks service.
That's a good idea. You might also want to minimize talking, because it also encourages others to open their mouths (which endangers you).

Can you get your hands on a mask of some kind? Can always tie a bandanna at the back of your head.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts