Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one read this? I didn't realize that Garth Turner would be recommending buying generators, storing fuel, taking cash out of the bank and storing it in a vault dug into your basement! It seems pretty extreme to me.

It feels that he has read Peter Schiff, taken a bunch of his material and sprinkled some zombie apocalypse fiction into it.

Do any of you share his opinion of the Canadian housing markets tanking by 60-80%?

·
Banned
419 Posts
Seems a bit extreme to me.

If things were to get that bad cash would be useless.
I would bet that my Remington pump action shot gun would be a far stronger currency than cash.

As for real estate, who knows? In Winnipeg house prices are and have increased at a rate far above inflation, however 15 years prior to the run up prices were sideways.

That being said i am glad I bought 7 years ago. If prices were to collapse that much my house would still be worth more than what I paid.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Garth Turner provides cheap entertainment to those without cable TV, DVD players or access to a movie theatre.
His ware is getting sillier every passing year.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I can't recall Garth getting even a single call right in the past. This is the same guy who recommended readers to pull equity out of their homes and buy stocks in the late 1990s. He is the same guy who rhetorically asked, "Is Nortel going back up? Will it be Spring in April?". And if you sold your house when Garth was screaming "crash", you'll still be waiting for housing prices to head lower. To me, a broken clock is right more often than Garth.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean I agree with his underlying argument of bad habits (no savings, ridiculous spending) and being wary of bubbles (lax lending, over leveraging). But I would personally expect something a little less extreme than taking all your money out in cash, buying a guard dog, buying a gun and canned tuna as he says :)

As I said I believe Peter Schiff's Crash Proof is a better book. Very worthwhile reading.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I didn't take him word for word on that. More of a generalization, as mentioned to prepare for anything. As mentioned by Underworld about Garth Turners 'underlying argument of bad habits (no savings, ridiculous spending) and being wary of bubbles (lax lending, over leveraging).'

Which is ironic, as we may have to start paying more for CPP b/c others have not been saving enough for their retirement. I feel like I would be punished for being responsible with my money, and living below my means.

The main thing Garth has going for him is that he can write in an entertaining fashion, writes on Canadian topics/rules/RRSP/TFSA and such, and keeps it simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts