Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just a day after PM said they will stay longer than Aug 31 if necessary:

"Eyre called the end of efforts “heartbreaking” and said he wished Canada could have stayed longer.

An official from Global Affairs Canada indicated some Canadians were left behind and encouraged them to reach out. They did not provide firm numbers on how many remain in the country.

At the same time, officials said it is now up to individuals to try to keep themselves and their families safe."

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
More US troops just died in combat in Kabul.

So I guess this means that US is now going to spend another $100 billion (or whatever) in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
"Eyre called the end of efforts “heartbreaking” and said he wished Canada could have stayed longer.

An official from Global Affairs Canada indicated some Canadians were left behind and encouraged them to reach out. They did not provide firm numbers on how many remain in the country.

At the same time, officials said it is now up to individuals to try to keep themselves and their families safe."
I was in Afghanistan when Canada "officially" left in 2014

Canadian military members have been advocating for these evacuations for over 7 years now

Anyone in power saying they wished they could help now is a disgrace

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
More US troops just died in combat in Kabul.

So I guess this means that US is now going to spend another $100 billion (or whatever) in Afghanistan.
The US hasn't had a soldier killed in Afghanistan since February 2020.

Many countries have already left and those who advocated to stay a bit longer are likely going to leave as well now.

The Canadian military were conducting "quiet" sorties to get as many out as possible. I think we did the best we could.

I read there was a bunch of students stuck in Afghanistan during a trip there. WTF was that school and the parents thinking.....sending their kids into a war zone ?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I was in Afghanistan when Canada "officially" left in 2014

Canadian military members have been advocating for these evacuations for over 7 years now

Anyone in power saying they wished they could help now is a disgrace
I heard those calls loud and clear for past 3 years.
Completely ignored by government.
They grew increasingly more intense in 2021 (actual mainstream radio, politicians, etc.).
Still completely ignored.
Government of Canada just decided to let those people die

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I guess we were following through on our NATO commitments, as other countries also did.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
ISIS commanders best write out their last will and testament.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No NATO commitments state that you can't give visas to interpreters after they help out your forces.
Especially since vast majority of military withdrew in 2014

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
No NATO commitments state that you can't give visas to interpreters after they help out your forces.
Especially since vast majority of military withdrew in 2014
We did remove some.....but the Harper government refused visas for many others.

The Afghan government also controlled who was allowed to leave the country via exit visas.

Up until the last few days, people wanting to leave were scrambling for an Afghan exit visa, but once the government collapsed and the President fled, the people no longer required an exit visa.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Yes exactly. The military related industry (and contractors) love all of this. Endless money for companies when there is perpetual warfare.
This is why LMT likely is my best performing stock during last 10 years :).
and this is exactly why "The military related industry" is completely fine with Putin :)

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
This is why LMT likely is my best performing stock during last 10 years :).
and this is exactly why "The military related industry" is completely fine with Putin :)
I worked in the military-linked industry and yeah, it's very lucrative. Around me, some people were becoming insanely wealthy. For them, war is lots of fun. Millions of dollars in contracts. Hundreds of millions of dollars in business opportunities for US contractors and small businesses.

As I awakened to this over the years, I decided that I'm not comfortable with the ethics of it, so I walked away from a massive salary + benefits which would have made me very wealthy if I stuck with it for 10 or 20 years.

Meanwhile I have a couple friends in Ottawa who are deep into this military industry. They are on the brink of winning millions of dollars in contracts... war will be very fun for them. They will become rich. There's no way in hell that I'll be joining that party.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I was on a NATO base that employed many Afghans. Locals made the bricks and infrastructure and did service jobs like laundry, cleaning and food

The US built up their side while I was there and they contract Americans for everything including flying in plywood stamped with Marines logos. Probably the most expensive "military grade" plywood in the world when they could just buy local brick for less. The US has mastered the art of transferring taxes to US contractors.

Just look at the recent infrastructure bill amendment on crypto that was veto'd by an 87 senator because he didn't get his unrelated $80B for his military lobbyist friends

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
No point in doing it! Last 15 years I worked in IT company who was producing and selling soft (to about 150 MF/Seg funds companies). Vast majority of new developments was just to increase hidden fees, in other words, scamming naive Canadians

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Typical NATO tactics.... military blowing up some bridge, then some contractor (like HAL) is building a new one..... For everything taxpayers are paying LOL

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Reading some of the stories on the media, one has to wonder what people were thinking that are trapped in Afghanistan now.

Stories of visiting extended family, getting married, on student trips, visiting grandparents.....during a war the Taliban were winning and a pandemic.

One guy worked for Canada during the war and was retrieved from Afghanistan. Then he went back for a visit with his wife and 5 kids and they are trapped. He is now a target for the Taliban militants who are searching for people like him. That is why we got him out.......not so he could go back again.

Help and come get us......keeps repeating over and over, in Lebanon years ago, on cruise ships and Latin America during Covid.........

One of the Canadians in prison in China was going back and forth between China and North Korea. What was he doing in that neighborhood ?

It makes it difficult to "save" people when they keep putting themselves in harms way.

The question also becomes how many lives of others do we risk to save people who make bad decisions.

Getting people out now is a very dangerous proposition. Rescue missions don't always succeed and some are outright disasters.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts