Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Can you give me an example of a failing with the site search that you can think of? You can search by username on the site, but if it's not pulling up everything we'd like it to, I can see what can be done to improve. Last time we talked about it in this thread was a bit of time ago and there has been some changes to site settings since then

Kevin

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can you give me an example of a failing with the site search that you can think of? You can search by username on the site, but if it's not pulling up everything we'd like it to, I can see what can be done to improve. Last time we talked about it in this thread was a bit of time ago and there has been some changes to site settings since then

Kevin
An example is anything anyone every said in a post. Search for it by username and it returns no results found.

ltr

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just to expand on the advanced search feature and why it's important to many people.

I often want to look back at something I've written in the past to either remind myself of what I had said, or to use that information to create a new post without having to spend a bunch of time re-researching. I also want to be able to look up certain topics that have already been commented upon by (what I consider) experts in a field. On this forum I might want to know something about an oil issue and I would want to be able to narrow down the hundreds of random posts down to someone who knew what they were talking about such as Alta_Red. Or, I might want to know something about options and I would choose Humble_Pie. Lots of experts here on certain topics.

You need to be able to enter a username and topic into search and get a result. It doesn't work on this forum (compared to every other forum I visit).

Let me show you.

Here's the url post of a thread where I commented on preferred shares. It is named: RBC First Pref Sh Series Az RY-PR-Z ?

Here's a paragraph below in that thread that I pulled a few words out of shown in BOLD.

"I only pointed out that I didn't like the fact that HPR has the right to invest in US preferreds and that doesn't sit well with me since you negate the tax advantage of preferreds when you do so (I mean, why the hell else would you invest in such complex nonsense if it wasn't for that?). Sure, they may not have a large US component today, but they have the right to do so. If the higher cost of active investment and the possibility of alternate investments sits well with purchasers of this fund, then great, as long as they're aware. Personally, I would recommend taking a position on the type of index you feel will do well in the two ETF's I suggested and let it ride as I don't know if HPR is such a slam dunk to outperform over the long term. Who knows?"

Here's the Advanced Search parameters that should easily find that thread.
search.png

Here's the result.
search2.png

This is the same situation with every advanced search. It doesn't work.

ltr

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Ltr
I think you will not get any support from the overlords. It has been a problem forever and no one has addressed it.

I suspect it would involve major expense. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ltr
I think you will not get any support from the overlords. It has been a problem forever and no one has addressed it.

I suspect it would involve major expense. Not going to happen.
But I have gone to many forums that are obviously very small as evidenced by the minuscule post counts, and I'll try advanced search just for fun, and it works fine.

My point is that capable forum software seems to be everywhere, except CMF.

Why is that?

Every time someone complains about something on CMF, the admin seems to be totally unaware and surprised, and then tell us they'll get their best technicians on it right away...................

ltr

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Over the last couple of days I completed a rebuild of the site Search Index, and I'm making some headway. While it's not working perfectly, I think I at least have the functionality you are looking for covered.

First, I just want to repeat that we don't have "Full Text" search, so grabbing a whole block of text and putting into the search hoping to find your exact post isn't how the search works by design. You have to be more general in your searches by using Keywords. I talked about that a bit in post 12 in this thread.

Still, I took the word "Component" from the block of text in the example to use as my baseline. There isn't a list of words that are considered "Key", but common sense usually works well enough.

On the "Advanced Search" page, there are 2 tabs to choose from, and here is where the Search isn't working as perfectly as I like. The "Multiple Content Types" tab seems to be pulling less information then the "Single Content Type" tab, so switch to that one.

Using single content type, using the word component, and user like_to_retire, here is what I get

There is the thread you pulled your example from. Let me know if using that other tab works better for you guys. If it does, I'll see if I can make it the default tab from when you click on "Advanced Search", and I'll get the failings of the Multiple Content Type reported.

Let me know

Kevin

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is the thread you pulled your example from. Let me know if using that other tab works better for you guys. If it does, I'll see if I can make it the default tab from when you click on "Advanced Search", and I'll get the failings of the Multiple Content Type reported.

Let me know

Kevin
Yeah, certainly works much better.

For sure the Multiple tab is a bit hopeless, but the Single tab works quite good. I would definitely default to that tab and not the Multiple.

ltr

21 - 29 of 29 Posts