Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been able to get Advanced Search to work on this site, other than the odd time.

As a test, I randomly pick a post Feb 2018 by AltaRed that contains the sentence, "A whipped puppy is a whipped puppy"

The thread is here as verification that it exists.

Now try and do an Advanced Search using the keywords, A whipped puppy is a whipped puppy, from author AltaRed. Doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

ltr

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if the sites relied on their own search engines. it would be hopeless. I use google:
https://www.canadianmoneyforum.com/archive/index.php/t-128113.html and
https://www.canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php/128113-Dividend-Distribution-Increases-2018?p=1863233&styleid=6
any engine that does accept quotes is useless. In these I just included the phrase and canadian money.
But if I'm looking for something from a particular member, the Google search isn't useful.

All other forums I visit have search engine capabilities that allow search on member, combined with content, just as CMF does - except CMF search doesn't work.

I guess everyone just accepts this.

ltr

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I agree that the search function is sub standard. No results for your test using Advanced, and when I tried the Google search , I was directed to a vet :crushed:

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Why does CMF not allow me to view all my posts? Chance are it was something I was participating in! FWF allows it but CMF does not. Pathetic!

·
Administrator
699 Posts
I've never been able to get Advanced Search to work on this site, other than the odd time.

As a test, I randomly pick a post Feb 2018 by AltaRed that contains the sentence, "A whipped puppy is a whipped puppy"

The thread is here as verification that it exists.

Now try and do an Advanced Search using the keywords, A whipped puppy is a whipped puppy, from author AltaRed. Doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

ltr
"from author AltaRed" is not a term search understands. Original posters are not considered authors. If you want to find something by AltaRed, use their name in the User Name section.

I did notice some issues with it however, so I am running a rebuild to see if it resolves the issue.

Why does CMF not allow me to view all my posts? Chance are it was something I was participating in! FWF allows it but CMF does not. Pathetic!
Click your username(to go to your profile page, either in the top right corner of the page) , or your username on a posting. Click "Find latest posts" to view the last 80 replies your account made. Are you not able to view this page?

- JB

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"from author AltaRed" is not a term search understands. Original posters are not considered authors. If you want to find something by AltaRed, use their name in the User Name section.
Of course I used the name in the User Name section. I know how to use search. It doesn't work.

ltr

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Hey there,

Thanks for the response.
I looked into this, it is an ongoing search issue with vB4.
Techs are figuring out a way to get this fixed, but might actually replace the whole thing.
Nothing is confirmed and no ETA on this.

However, when searching using keywords, it's going to search words individually, not as a sentence.

Ed

·
Registered
6,743 Posts

I did notice some issues with it however, so I am running a rebuild to see if it resolves the issue.

Click your username(to go to your profile page, either in the top right corner of the page) , or your username on a posting. Click "Find latest posts" to view the last 80 replies your account made. Are you not able to view this page?

- JB
Sure that gets me all the way back to October 2, 2018. Usually my brilliant posts are not that recent. Why not find them all? For example, humble_pie raised an issue that was from 2012 but is still relevant today! I can find them on FWF but not here.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
However, when searching using keywords, it's going to search words individually, not as a sentence.

Ed
Yes, correct, most forum search engines do that, but they float the posts higher in the search results as they contain more and more of the words in the phrase, so that the top responses to the search have the most words that match the entire phrase.

Then if you add the User Name, it places that one at the top of the search results.

I guarantee that CMF search does none of that. It's hopeless on a good day.

ltr

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Part of the problem is that the site search doesn't actually search all text on the site. It only searches "keywords". Keywords are determined by a process that is more complicated then I understand, but the site will pick out words from a post to act as the keyword and put that into the Search Index.

Your example in your first post I was able to find by using only the keyword "puppy" (and searching by username)

Capture.JPG

It's not a great system. A Full Text search of the site is something we would very much like to use, and we've been experimenting with one search plugin on another site. It's... going ok? Hopefully it will be seen here in the future

Kevin

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
I have lots of problems with the site search too. I get better results if I use google directly at the regular google.com, this way by adding "site:canadianmoneyforum.com" to the end of a search box:

xic or zlb site:canadianmoneyforum.com
or
A whipped puppy is a whipped puppy site:canadianmoneyforum.com

Found the relevant post right away, and also found this very thread. If CMF wanted to use that, it's possible to make a search box using this html code:

Code:
<form action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get">
<fieldset>
	<legend>Search CanadianMoneyForum.com</legend>
	<input type="text" size="50" name="q" value="" class="field" />
	<input type="hidden" name="sitesearch" value="canadianmoneyforum.com" />
	<input type="hidden" name="domains" value="canadianmoneyforum.com" /> 
	<input type="submit" value="Search" />
</fieldset>
</form>
Actually, I pasted the above HTML code into a new file on my computer (cmfsearch.html) I then bookmark that local page in my web browser. By loading that page and filling the form, the "site:" part is automatically added, so I can easily do a search of CMF

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Actually, I pasted the above HTML code into a new file on my computer (cmfsearch.html) I then bookmark that local page in my web browser. By loading that page and filling the form, the "site:" part is automatically added, so I can easily do a search of CMF
Very Good James - Just did same and have it on Desktop next to CMF link.

PS: For those that want to do same, copy and paste James' html code into Windows Notepad. Then save to desktop as cmfsearch.html (or whatever suits you).

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Google has way more search power then us. The only thing it wouldn't be able to find is any info kept on a hidden forum section, but we don't use those here anways

Kevin

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
I'm going to try something here. I'm attaching a web page that you can save to your local computer and use as an advanced CMF search.

Save the attachment, but rename it to something.html so that it ends in ".html"

You can then open that in your browser, or bookmark it, and use it as a CMF search. You'll see a little search box that can launch a powerful google search within CMF.

View attachment cmfsearch.txt

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to try something here. I'm attaching a web page that you can save to your local computer and use as an advanced CMF search.

Save the attachment, but rename it to something.html so that it ends in ".html"

You can then open that in your browser, or bookmark it, and use it as a CMF search. You'll see a little search box that can launch a powerful google search within CMF.

View attachment 19842
James, seriously. This is a nice attempt to ameliorate the truly horrible software that is CMF.

Why can every other forum I use or occasion, provide me with proper software that everyone expects?

Does CMF go out of its way to offer a inferior product so you can find some jiggery-pokery method to make it actually usable?

ltr

·
Administrator
699 Posts
google search might be a bit better, their search crawlers are all over the forum and work a lot faster than out current search situation.

Lee

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
google search might be a bit better, their search crawlers are all over the forum and work a lot faster than out current search situation.

Lee
Google search does not search on forum member name. This is a must for a search on a forum.

ltr

1 - 20 of 29 Posts