Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Its attracting a lot of press because its so godawfully bad for you. Its got like 2 days worth of fat and soduim lawl its honestly just not worth all that crap in there. Although I would suspect it probably tastes pretty good.

Here is the nutritional info
Sandwich Calories Fat (g) Sodium (mg)
KFC Original Recipe® Double Down Calories: 540 Fat(g): 32 Sodium(mg): 1380
KFC Grilled Double Down Calories: 460 Fat(g):23 Sodium(mg): 1430

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Revolutionary!?? What is so revolutionary? For 2 plus millions of years of evolution we ate critters. Especially the fatty organ meats. Fat was the predominant macro-nutrient. Grains, fruit, berries? I don't think so. The agricultural revolution with its emphasis on sugars and starches was the single most stupid thing we did next to inventing gunpowder.

Plus, salt is benign... our bodies get rid of excess salt. The link between salt and CVD is tenuous at best.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
This is nothing revolutionary the Americans have been eating double downs for years. They are not the healthiest of people though

·
Banned
81 Posts
LOL true that mode, I dont know if I could stomach one of these things and yes those calorie listings seems very suspicious. I think I will stay away from these and continue to go to the gym haha!

·
Banned
81 Posts
Let's not get carried away. I agree that the calorie content reported doesn't sound very credible. I'd expect something more in the 1000 range.
Royal is right in the fact that salt can eventually kill you if over consumed. And I actually saw something in the news about there being about 1400mg of salt in the sandwich. Which honestly is still really WAAAY too high. I think we should all stick to either tim hortons or go back to making sandwiches at home :p.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a well known fact that the typical Canadian diet has far too much sodium content. This leads to excessive blood pressure which can lead to heart attacks and stroke. I'm not going to enter into a debate about whether or not salt is good for you. In the quantities most of us eat, it's way too much. Period.

Read the labels on your food. Canned soup, something that's on virtually every shelf, has 35-40% of your recommended daily intake of sodium. That's just one can of soup! Over the course of a day, we all eat much more than this, and it's not necessary to be in the food. Processed and canned foods, anything purchased or prepared, has too much sodium. For some people, all it takes is a pizza to send them to ER. Or a KFC DD.

·
Banned
81 Posts
True that, yea these days so many people dont know to read labels. A lot of the time if I am with my parents at the grocery store and I decide to pick something up and I see that it has too much of a harmful ingredient (be it fat or sodium etc etc) usually I will either opt out of getting it or look for a similar product with better ingredients. Its actually quite suprising at what products have less calories/sodium/fat/carbs compared to exact same products.

I learned a lot of stuff like this because when I was 6 I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (it is heretitary) and have learned throughout my life that it is important to realise what you are putting into your body. Although I still would rather NOT have diabetes, just waiting on that cure which is hopefully coming soon!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Maybe it's because I associate it with poor health but I don't even like the taste of salt

I like a bit but I don't like the amount in most things like soup. Why can't I just add some salt myself if I want it?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it is used as a cheap preservative to prolong the shelf life of packaged foods as well as to mask the taste and save from having to use more expensive spices. And there's probably a salt lobby behind this too. Overseas the gov't had to legislate mfrs to get the salt down. There are things like Blue Menu that have far less salt and taste just as good. The canned tomato juice I use to make spaghetti...at Sobey's they have a version with 50% reduced sodium and it tastes just as good as regular tomato juice. Salt is very hard to escape, it's in virtually everything.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
It is a well known fact that the typical Canadian diet has far too much sodium content. This leads to excessive blood pressure which can lead to heart attacks and stroke. I'm not going to enter into a debate about whether or not salt is good for you. In the quantities most of us eat, it's way too much. Period.

Read the labels on your food. Canned soup, something that's on virtually every shelf, has 35-40% of your recommended daily intake of sodium. That's just one can of soup! Over the course of a day, we all eat much more than this, and it's not necessary to be in the food. Processed and canned foods, anything purchased or prepared, has too much sodium. For some people, all it takes is a pizza to send them to ER. Or a KFC DD.
One sandwich won't kill you, unless you choke on it.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
One sandwhich could kill you from food poisoning. According to this , 5000 people died in the US over a two year period from food poisoning. KFC=Dirty Bird.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The sandwich may not be as unhealthy as people say, especially if the rest of the diet contained lots of fruits and vegetables. This sandwich with a glass of water would probably be far healthier than a burger, fries and soft drink. I was reading a book that told how white sugar, corn syrup and white flour will reek havoc with your insulin levels, making you constantly hungry. The solution was high protein, moderate fat, lots of fruits and vegetables and minimum carbs. When carbs are consumed they should be in high fiber products eg. very heavy whole grain bread. It's a little like the Atkins diet, but not so strict about the carbs. Particularly a high protein breakfast tends to curb hunger throughout the day.

I lost 14 pounds.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts