Canadian Money Forum banner

A plan for opening travel between the USA/Canada

3K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  zinfit 
#1 ·
It is my understanding that there are no discussions taking place between Canada and the USA on a plan or a framework for reopening our borders. Should our country be working on a plan for reopening the border? If the answer is yes should vaccination passports be a key component of any such plan? Or are you just happy to basically stop all non- essential travel between the USA and Canada ?

#8 ·
in US already 108M got at least 1 vaccine, they are doing about 3M shots per day, so in about 20-25 days they gonna vaccinate about 50% of population... (on Israel example , we can see that after 50% got at least 1 shot, new cases count went sharply down)... so from US side it's pretty safe to open borders in May... esp we both countries introduce "vaccination passport", so only vaccinated people will be able to cross border.

#15 ·
They can still be carriers. That is how a few people I know became covid statistics in the last few months. Child brings it home from school and gives it to parents and grandparents. Granted the goal is to have enough herd immunity so that kids are NOT picking up the virus in the first place.

Spouse and I remain at some risk due to some babysitting duties we feel obliged to undertake with our 3 year old grandchild when there are issues at daycare.

I am pretty confident Canada will get most adult Canadians jabbed by late June. We just need to maintain some patience for a little while longer.

Continuing to mask until almost everyone is vaccinated is a necessary courtesy measure. Strangers don't know if you are vaccinated, or simply being a prick.
I just went for a walk, lots of people at the park, large groups, like 20+ ppl with lawn chairs and snacks.
Few masks, the next wave is coming, and unless they go even more rigid than they did last April, it's not going to stop.

#12 ·
We should be looking to 'normalize' travel in the coming months, I think. Maybe an interim period of proof of vaccination or negative PCR test. And continue requiring masks during travel, at least until infection rates in both countries are down to manageable levels. My two cents.

I'm sure people on this board would support going full-Texas. Live free or die hard.

#18 ·
The evidence is pretty strong that vaccinated people are not transmitters. The Pfizer/Israel study and the CDC guideline seem to make that clear. Yes their a 6% possibility that that a vaccinated person might have covid. If they did it would a very weak case and would likely be blocked by a facemark. Besides a PCR test has also be used. I would be far more concerned about the 6000 plus people who are testing daily and what stringent measures are being imposed on these individuals if any. For people no aware of the Pfizer I attach it.

Attachments

#20 ·
Reactions: whitby
#23 ·
The Americans will save Canada from our own vaccine ineptitude. Once they are finished or at least have enough supply to finish, Americans will prioritize some level of supply to Canada and Mexico such that the land border can more freely open, at least to those citizens. And then they will move on to supporting whatever sort of vaccine international policy agenda they best determine, likely to country China and Russia's influence in other parts of the world.

#25 ·
no one is denying covid certainly not me. I got Amy second shot of Moderna in February. Would I be doing that if I was a denier? A person entering by a land crossing isn't a cheater if he is following the law and the regulations. In a free and democratic society conducting one's activities in the most efficient and lawful way isn't being a cheater.

#32 ·
The US is re-opening far too early. John Hopkins data used here shows many US states with climbing covid cases and I would not be surprised to see those states opening too quickly will see another rise in active covid cases.

Canada seems destined to follow the same misguided policy as we already have given the recent wave of new infections. We will re-open again before most people have had the opportunity for their first shot by end of June when everyone who wants a shot will have had the opportunity to get one (45M? doses by end of June). We were terribly late in getting going and are now suffering needlessly with this new wave due to government incompetence. I might even have my 2nd shot by the end of June.

That all said, I see a gradual easing of border controls, e.g. vaccinated entrants only needing to show a negative PCR test upon arrival, much like the USA is already doing based on CDC guidance. Everyone else still needs to quarantine in some way.

Reactions: andrewf
#34 ·
There are many smaThere are some tech companies working on a process to get verified certicates and a standardized. system. It will happen Google and Microsoft will solve this issue. In the US it shouldn't be hard .when a person is fully vaccinated they get a card providing full details.Each state has a record of every vaccination and will provide that record to the vaccinated person and other relevant third parties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.