Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that there are no discussions taking place between Canada and the USA on a plan or a framework for reopening our borders. Should our country be working on a plan for reopening the border? If the answer is yes should vaccination passports be a key component of any such plan? Or are you just happy to basically stop all non- essential travel between the USA and Canada ?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
It is my understanding that there are no discussions taking place between Canada and the USA on a plan or a framework for reopening our borders. Should our country be working on a plan for reopening the border? If the answer is yes should vaccination passports be a key component of any such plan? Or are you just happy to basically stop all non- essential travel between the USA and Canada ?
Just wait till we don't have vaccine shortages and ICUs aren't full, then let'r'rip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wait till we don't have vaccine shortages and ICUs aren't full, then let'r'rip.
Knowing how government is working it would be good if they were working on plan now so we can travel when your conditions are.met.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Knowing how government is working it would be good if they were working on plan now so we can travel when your conditions are.met.
Well the provinces are being clear, I'm quite happy with how good the communication from the Ontario government has been.

I honestly don't think the federal government has a plan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots of info available (google "canada us border reopening") ... apparently the two gov'ts meet monthly on this topic, one US congressman hopes for a "July" reopening.

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
in US already 108M got at least 1 vaccine, they are doing about 3M shots per day, so in about 20-25 days they gonna vaccinate about 50% of population... (on Israel example , we can see that after 50% got at least 1 shot, new cases count went sharply down)... so from US side it's pretty safe to open borders in May... esp we both countries introduce "vaccination passport", so only vaccinated people will be able to cross border.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in US already 108M got at least 1 vaccine, they are doing about 3M shots per day, so in about 20-25 days they gonna vaccinate about 50% of population... (on Israel example , we can see that after 50% got at least 1 shot, new cases count went sharply down)... so from US side it's pretty safe to open borders in May... esp we both countries introduce "vaccination passport", so only vaccinated people will be able to cross border.
I think the US just hit 4 million per day.JNJ will have 100 million doses out shortly and the daily count goes to 5 million per day. By June 1 they should be finished.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I think the US just hit 4 million per day.JNJ will have 100 million doses out shortly and the daily count goes to 5 million per day. By June 1 they should be finished.
Which means hopefully we should be able to get done a few weeks later.

Now they just need a vaccine for kids.

·
Registered
13,655 Posts
We should be looking to 'normalize' travel in the coming months, I think. Maybe an interim period of proof of vaccination or negative PCR test. And continue requiring masks during travel, at least until infection rates in both countries are down to manageable levels. My two cents.

I'm sure people on this board would support going full-Texas. Live free or die hard.

·
Registered
13,655 Posts
Which means hopefully we should be able to get done a few weeks later.

Now they just need a vaccine for kids.
I think one of them has been approved for children down to age 12. I think largely herd immunity should be kicking in. It may be determined that the balance of risks might not warrant vaccinating kids because vaccines aren't without risk and children are unlikely to have significant illness with COVID19.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I think one of them has been approved for children down to age 12. I think largely herd immunity should be kicking in. It may be determined that the balance of risks might not warrant vaccinating kids because vaccines aren't without risk and children are unlikely to have significant illness with COVID19.
They can still be carriers. That is how a few people I know became covid statistics in the last few months. Child brings it home from school and gives it to parents and grandparents. Granted the goal is to have enough herd immunity so that kids are NOT picking up the virus in the first place.

Spouse and I remain at some risk due to some babysitting duties we feel obliged to undertake with our 3 year old grandchild when there are issues at daycare.

I am pretty confident Canada will get most adult Canadians jabbed by late June. We just need to maintain some patience for a little while longer.

Continuing to mask until almost everyone is vaccinated is a necessary courtesy measure. Strangers don't know if you are vaccinated, or simply being a prick.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
They can still be carriers. That is how a few people I know became covid statistics in the last few months. Child brings it home from school and gives it to parents and grandparents. Granted the goal is to have enough herd immunity so that kids are NOT picking up the virus in the first place.

Spouse and I remain at some risk due to some babysitting duties we feel obliged to undertake with our 3 year old grandchild when there are issues at daycare.

I am pretty confident Canada will get most adult Canadians jabbed by late June. We just need to maintain some patience for a little while longer.

Continuing to mask until almost everyone is vaccinated is a necessary courtesy measure. Strangers don't know if you are vaccinated, or simply being a prick.
I just went for a walk, lots of people at the park, large groups, like 20+ ppl with lawn chairs and snacks.
Few masks, the next wave is coming, and unless they go even more rigid than they did last April, it's not going to stop.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I just went for a walk, lots of people at the park, large groups, like 20+ ppl with lawn chairs and snacks.
Few masks, the next wave is coming, and unless they go even more rigid than they did last April, it's not going to stop.
Sometimes YCFS.....

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Dr Fauci disagrees about another wave....btw 20 people is nothing. Heres the BlueJay game.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The evidence is pretty strong that vaccinated people are not transmitters. The Pfizer/Israel study and the CDC guideline seem to make that clear. Yes their a 6% possibility that that a vaccinated person might have covid. If they did it would a very weak case and would likely be blocked by a facemark. Besides a PCR test has also be used. I would be far more concerned about the 6000 plus people who are testing daily and what stringent measures are being imposed on these individuals if any. For people no aware of the Pfizer I attach it.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it is pathetic that political leaders cannot seem provide any leadership on this matter. What is even more pathetic is the containment and detention policies still being used on incoming vaccinated travellers.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I think it is pathetic that political leaders cannot seem provide any leadership on this matter. What is even more pathetic is the containment and detention policies still being used on incoming vaccinated travellers.
... as if politics should be dictating a (global) public health matter.

From post #4492 Coronavirus (COVID-19) or directly from CDC's site: COVID-19 in Canada - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4: COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC - last updated April 2, 2021. Today is April 8, 2021.

Don't like the rules (actually the "laws"), then flout them. Your right.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts