Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mutual funds in Canada are the most expensive in the developed world. In fact, high mutual fund fees are forcing many Canadians to retire many years later than they would like.

At ModernAdvisor, we combine smart technology with expertise from investment professionals to build and manage globally diversified portfolios that are tailored to your individual needs. Our all-inclusive fees are a fraction of the cost of the average mutual fund in Canada and range from 0.47% to 0.77% per year for our low-cost portfolios depending on your account size and risk preferences. The all-in cost for our socially responsible portfolios is between 0.56% and 1.0%. That compares to 2.35% for the average mutual fund in Canada.

ModernAdvisor is not a discount broker. We fully manage your investments so you can focus on what makes you tick. Plus, what you see is what you pay: there are no trading or hidden fees.

Sign up for a RRSP, TFSA, RESP, RIF, or taxable account today! Make sure you use promo code CMF2016 during signup to receive your $50 bonus*.

* Your signup bonus will be credited to your account after we receive your first deposit.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this thread.

Ha!! Look at this portfolio they recommended based on my specs.

6% US, 22% emerging markets and 13% Canadian real estate???

These guys are incompetent Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.16.03 PM.png .

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
These guys are incompetent
And posting two spam threads would seem to confirm that. Suggests they are in dire shape when they start slumming here with spam - burnt through their $2MM so are now looking for your $50. A real class business.
Good reason for everyone on CMF to make a point of not giving these clowns any business.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These guys are incompetent View attachment 10433 .
Why do you think we are incompetent? Is it because we have a large allocation to emerging markets? A bigger allocation to Canadian REITs than US stocks? Why is that so odd for a very aggressive portfolio?

Our portfolios are not market-weighted, but that doesn't mean we don't know what we are doing.

We take into account the long-term expected return, volatility, and cross-correlation of asset classes and design our portfolios to maximize their risk-adjusted return. We look at factors such as valuations, dividend yields, dividend growth rates, and bond yields amongst other things to come up with our expected return projections. The fact that US stocks represent a small percentage of our portfolios right now reflects our view that US stocks are some of the most expensive in the world (and we're certainly not alone in our view). Yes, we subscribe to the bizarre idea that valuations matter in the long term.

Btw, our models are updated at least annually, so if relative valuations change, so will our portfolio allocations.

Anyway, I'm speculating as to why you call us incompetent - so do let me know, and more importantly let me know what makes you qualified to determine our competence.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
burnt through their $2MM so are now looking for your $50. A real class business.
I think you might be confused about how this works. We are offering readers $50 to sign up. We're not after their $50.

We really believe ModernAdvisor can help many Canadians invest better and save on investment fees. Yes - we need to advertise to get the word out, what's wrong with that?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this thread.

Ha!! Look at this portfolio they recommended based on my specs.

6% US, 22% emerging markets and 13% Canadian real estate???

These guys are incompetent View attachment 10433 .

this is not an incompetent portfolio. A minority view - it's widely enough held as not to be a contrarian view - holds that US markets have already topped & are swanning down. The trend could even turn to panic plunging if trump is elected this november.

the same view sometimes tends to eye emerging markets with more favour these days. Some variations of this invest-anywhere-but-USA say invest in europe. Other variations say come back to stricken canadian resource stocks.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Anyway, I'm speculating as to why you call us incompetent - so do let me know, and more importantly let me know what makes you qualified to determine our competence.
Simply, you never bet against the US. I'm not going to put my financial qualification but they are better than a couple engineers and web developers that looks like what makes up your team. Hilarious.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
onlyMO it seems that robo advisors are busting out of the woodwork these days. The TD, for example, is coming out with an enlarged family of its own ETFs & recently announced it will launch its own robo.

what distinguishes modern advisor? not too much imho, apart from the fact that they may lack coolth in social media. Here in cmf forum they seem to have paid for not one but 2 sponsored ads, one in each thread.

modern advisor's self-announced distinction is that they emphasize socially responsible investing. But there's nothing new about SRI. Funds like the good old Jantzi social index fund - sold eventually to black rock - & the mennonite suite of funds have been around for decades. Adapting the concepts to ETFs is not really earthshaking news.

here is modern advisor's incorporation:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=8724555

modern's co-founder adrian brouwers was a CEO, also a sales & marketing veep, of ho-hum mutual fund company IA Clarington, itself a subsidiary of quebec insurance giant Industrielle Alliance Vie.

in 2013 canadian couch potato stung clarington funds with bitter criticism regarding their then-misleading advertising:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2013/11/11/worst-mutual-fund-ad-of-the-year/

notice how, in 2013, mr brouwers' Clarington was claiming that managed funds can perform better than indexes. Only 3 years later, his latest venture modern advisors is selling index ETFs & the shoe is now being firmly worn on the other foot.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Our all-inclusive fees are a fraction of the cost of the average mutual fund in Canada and range from 0.47% to 0.77% per year

i do feel you should be disclosing that all your clients will have individual ETF fees in addition to your own stated fees, though. It appears that in certain cases the fee aggregate could run north of 1% per annum.

wondering who has custody of the bedrock securities, though. They are ETFs as planned & allocated by yourselves, right? but who holds them? do your individual clients hold the selected ETFs outright as accounts with the individual ETF vending companies? or does professional custody of clients' ETF portfolios lodge with yourselves?

if the latter, is there not a marked risk to clients if your firm should happen to fail? which agency would be insuring your firm's custodial holdings for the benefit of your clients? ottomh i don't know whether a robo advisor service can belong to the CIPF ...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Yes interesting. Co-founder was exec vp at Clarington which gained the dubious distinction of having the most misleading performance ad of underperforming funds, "the worst one I've seen yet", and "the only firm I’ve compared in this series so far to underperform retail indexes in all six categories.". It was dissed by Money Sense, Canadian Couch Potato, Globe and Mail and PrefBlog.

The other co-founder found it necessary to write an article slagging BMO's new robo-advisor service, even claiming that SmartFolio is "an obvious case of placing your own business interests ahead of the client’s and is in clear conflict with the fiduciary responsibilities", all while shamelessly promoting their own competing product. Classy. :rolleyes2: (Pick Me)

But I suppose this latest company might be a new leaf, an attempt to provide real value to investors and not just jump on the band wagon of robo-advisors to line their own pockets? - or not.

Like None, I was confused when modernadvisor told a senior, conservative investor interested in income that they should be buying over 11% of emerging market bonds and another 12% of emerging market stock with apparent fees of 0.7%. Really? :rolleyes2: I don't think so thank you.

P.S. I've asked CMF to remove the two SPAM threads that modernadvisor posted, but so far no action.
Birds of a feather, money talks...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The other co-founder found it necessary to write an article slagging BMO's new robo-advisor service, even claiming that SmartFolio is "an obvious case of placing your own business interests ahead of the client’s and is in clear conflict with the fiduciary responsibilities", all while shamelessly promoting their own competing product. Classy. :rolleyes2: (Pick Me)

onlyMO we have to be careful, you & i, because between us we could probably easily slaughter many new upstarts ... :peach:

re robo advisors, it's too soon to be able to discern where they will find their likely market. Obviously novice investors who feel overwhelmed by finance will find security in having an investment infrastructure provided for less than 1% of MI. In some cases for half that fee.

how these clients will fare when markets plunge in severe collapses such as 08/09 is not even remotely known. I would imagine such investors will be worse off, but there is no historic robo experience, therefore no studies to show how folks behave in such circumstances.

there is some evidence that modern advisor is trying to attract millennials. Here i feel dubious, since the millennials who come to cmf forum are often either talented & fiercely independent market players or else they damn well intend to be, thank you very much. IDK, are there other millennials who will be content to sit around in an internet robo cafe, docilely eating & drinking what the waiter tells them the kitchen has decided is in their best interest?

re the BMO slag, it wasn't too intense, imho. Navid Boostani complained that BMO is unethically plying its own ETFs while excluding other families.

however, the BMO ETF family is now huge enough that a complete spectrum of choice is available.

i imagine the TD, which is busy expanding its own ETF family & planning to launch its own robo advisor service, will do exactly the same thing. At the end of the day, clients will be investing straight blue or else they will be investing straight green. In other words, the investment accounts of these investors will be partis pris, they will be hostage to one or another of the big banks.

these goings-on do put a small independent robo advisor such as modern advisor at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
P.S. I've asked CMF to remove the two SPAM threads that modernadvisor posted, but so far no action.

me i think cmf forum should let all threads stand as is. Wasn't there an earlier one featuring someone from modern advisor who called herself merri or mary or both?

clearly this is an enterprising robo service that is determined to make its way into social media, except they're not quite slick enough at doing so yet :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
re the BMO slag, it wasn't too intense, imho. Navid Boostani complained that BMO is unethically plying its own ETFs while excluding other families.
Well, I thought it was blatantly self-serving, and either written to be purposely misleading or written in ignorance of dealer disclosure requirements. Either (or both) should give a reader cause for concern.
But I must also disclose that I have an axe to grind with self-serving promotional threads that are started only to drum up business in what I consider to be a member's forum.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
me i think cmf forum should let all threads stand as is.
I agree with the approach that says you do more harm squelching free speech and pushing it underground than by letting the leopard show its true spots for all to see. I characterize this differently though. I think a thread started for purely advertising purposes is not appropriate on what I thought was a member's forum. But I may be wrong on that?

I have to admit however that I also pull those colourful weight loss and other illegal business signs out of city boulevards and off of light poles when I see them. :upset:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I thought it was blatantly self-serving, and either written to be purposely misleading or written in ignorance of dealer disclosure requirements. Either (or both) should give a reader cause for concern.
But I must also disclose that I have an axe to grind with self-serving promotional threads that are started only to drum up business in what I consider to be a member's forum.

but onlyMO there are so many disguised promotional threads in cmf forum!

there are professionals who are fully-employed in the field of finance, who are bound by the code of conduct rules set up by the ontario securities commission to disclose their holdings & their opinions transparently, who nevertheless boost or slag one stock or another in cmf forum threads under what they apparently believe are disguised user names!

there was at least one finance professional on here slagging valeant in hysterical language when it collapsed in late 2015 , at a time when his own firm was telling the media what a piece of merde the pharma was, ie it appeared that his own firm was shorting the stock.

at all times, this forum has an entire reserve section of couch potato ETF cheerleaders who in reality are paid professionals in the ETF planning field .:peach:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Btw, our models are updated at least annually, so if relative valuations change, so will our portfolio allocations.
Interesting. An investor's asset allocation could change every 6 months based on your computer modelling. This is different than rebalancing, isn't it? Will a customer's permission be required for you to adjust their portfolio allocations, or are they signing up for a completely discretionary account? I don't see anything on your web site that mentions anything similar to your statement above......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not going to put my financial qualification but they are better than a couple engineers and web developers that looks like what makes up your team. Hilarious.
We have three investment professionals on the team. I am a CFA and CIM charterholder (and yes an engineer as well). There's another CFA charterholder on the team, plus a CIM charterholder who is also a PFP.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Simply, you never bet against the US.
So you would have mindlessly put more and more money into the US market in 2000 because the market cap was getting larger and larger? We are not betting against the US, we are methodically adjusting our portfolio exposures based on relative and absolute valuations. At the moment we do believe the US market is expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts