Canadian Money Forum banner

181 - 183 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure. Kind of hard to do an apples to apple comparison without doing a deeper dive.

I'm assuming your rent covers a lot of the expenses I have to deal with: property tax, repairs, major appliance (but not furniture) replacement, etc. As mentioned, I think we're lucky to get a lot of the repairs done fairly inexpensively. We're always replacing 1 or 2 of appliances or pieces of furniture every year. Including property taxes, that takes us to just over $10k last year which is about half your rent (?). Everything else is consumables (household stuff) and monthly bills where everyone just has to manage their usage, right-size their plans, or try to find a better deal I suppose.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure. Kind of hard to do an apples to apple comparison without doing a deeper dive.
Yeah, hard to really compare these, especially when home ownership is so different from a rental. You're right, my rent covers property taxes & most repairs.

It sounds like you're keeping the cost of repairs at a reasonable level. Having a friend who can help with repairs is a huge advantage... you're probably saving a ton of money that way.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I've often found housing, transportation and food/groceries are the biggest expenses = the "big 3".

Assuming you get those right in your life, or you have sufficient income to cover those easily pre-retirement or during retirement, you have largely solved the biggest budgeting issues with those "big 3".

There is no right or wrong, just want you can or are willing to pay for.

181 - 183 of 183 Posts