Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
CANADIAN UTILITIES LIMITED ELIGIBLE DIVIDENDS (newswire.ca)

ATCO Ltd. Eligible Dividends (newswire.ca)

These are barely increases especially in the current inflationary environment. Helps affirm my decision to sell CU at the end of 2021. That being said an increase is better than a cut.
I have very small positions in both.
Maybe 1% of my portfolio in each. I had thought about selling, too. But then I thought it was such a small portion of my portfolio, I just treat them more like bond proxies.

But I don't think you're wrong.
Anyway, hey. I'll take the increase, even if it is small.

Reactions: Gator13

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have very small positions in both.
Maybe 1% of my portfolio in each. I had thought about selling, too. But then I thought it was such a small portion of my portfolio, I just treat them more like bond proxies.

But I don't think you're wrong.
Anyway, hey. I'll take the increase, even if it is small.
My position was less than 1% as well. Totally bond like and a good yield at around 5%. I was overweight utilities and didn't want to trim another position in that sector.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
My position was less than 1% as well. Totally bond like and a good yield at around 5%. I was overweight utilities and didn't want to trim another position in that sector.
I really messed up on Emera.

I bought some about $15 lower than current price. Unfortunately, I didn't buy as much as I wanted back then. Kicking myself for not buying more.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's always how it goes. I regret not buying low div high dividend growth stocks when I started DIY. As such I avoided low yield stocks like the Canadian Rails, Alimentation Couche-Tarde etc. I read a ton of articles on how low yield high dividend growth outperforms divdend stocks but I wanted to see that dividend income in my account each quarter. Hindsight is 20-20. We tend to focus on what we should have done but the reality is you've made some good choices over the years and have done well. We can always find a reason to kick ourselves. Be glad you got in $15 lower. :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
That's always how it goes. I regret not buying low div high dividend growth stocks when I started DIY. As such I avoided low yield stocks like the Canadian Rails, Alimentation Couche-Tarde etc. I read a ton of articles on how low yield high dividend growth outperforms divdend stocks but I wanted to see that dividend income in my account each quarter. Hindsight is 20-20. We tend to focus on what we should have done but the reality is you've made some good choices over the years and have done well. We can always find a reason to kick ourselves. Be glad you got in $15 lower. :)
What low div, high growth stocks are worth looking at now? I did a bit of the same.
noight some BAM and OTEX A couple of years ago. Up 70% and 15% respectively.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Tourmaline increased its regular dividend by 11% from 18 cents to 20 cents, plus a special dividend of $1.25. This is the fourth quarterly increase in a row (4 increases in the last 12 months), and the second special dividend (last $0.75). Also one of the extreme few oil and gas companies to increase (not cut) their dividend in 2022. A newer position for me; largest natural gas producer in Canada with effectively no net debt and commitment to return nearly all free cash to shareholders.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
She would not be my choice to lead anything but a government program. There were 2 much better candidates to pick, going this route makes me worried...I'm all out this morning. Just my opinion. Swapping now to CP will most likely not hurt me should I be wrong .

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
She would not be my choice to lead anything but a government program. There were 2 much better candidates to pick, going this route makes me worried...I'm all out this morning. Just my opinion. Swapping now to CP will most likely not hurt me should I be wrong .
I own both CNR and CP, but I don't feel it's such a bad idea to remove the guys that were responsible for the ill advised, and expensive failed takeover attempt of U.S. railway KCS last year?

The new CEO is coming from TC Energy at present, but she served as an executive at CP Rail for 27 years. I understand she is highly regarded, and to me would offer some real insight for CN because of that past experience at a rival company.

ltr

1 - 20 of 62 Posts