Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Personally, I'm not expecting a dividend hike by the banks/financials until the one paid out in Q4 2021 at the earliest.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Personally, I'm not expecting a dividend hike by the banks/financials until the one paid out in Q4 2021 at the earliest.
The big banks are sitting on something silly like $40-50B of excess capital. I suspect sooner than Q4 2021 but who knows for sure. I'd rather see special dividends and buybacks rather than acquisitions and growth, which can go awry pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The big banks are sitting on something silly like $40-50B of excess capital. I suspect sooner than Q4 2021 but who knows for sure. I'd rather see special dividends and buybacks rather than acquisitions and growth, which can go awry pretty quick.
Buybacks are banned for the moment too I think.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Although the pandemic is pretty much done the resulting economic fallout is still coming. I wouldn't hold my breath for a divy increase but would welcome one.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry, I should have added some reasoning to my expectations, though I agree no really knows.

Quarterly earning are being reported next week, the last week of May, the last week of Aug, and the last week of Nov/first week of Dec. OFSI has indicated they won't lift the ban on dividend hikes until they see a durable recovervy which from a practical perspective means lockdowns subsiding and things starting to normalize (lessing the risks on businesses and personal finances), further which I suspect will require the vaccination program to be in full swing.

I think we can all agree dividend hikes aren't happening during next week's earnings reports.
During the next earnings window (and dividend announcements) the last week of May, I think the best we can hope for is all seniors, vulnerable, and essentail workers to be vaccinated by then with vaccinations to the broader, general population starting in June extremely optimistically. So I think there will still be various restrictions at minimum still inflicting hurt on the broader financial picture.
By the end of August earnings report, optimistically, most people will have had their their first shot. That's when I see us getting over the hump and things starting to normalize. And if things line up, dividend hikes could occur.
Worst case, I suspect dividends increases will be announced in the Nov/Dec earnings reports for the January 2022 payments.

Of course, there could be a third wave with vaccines not being effective againsts variants so, who knows???

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
How was Texas ! Ya, I think this pandemic fizzles to nothing by June leaving the fiscal smoking hole Ottawa has created.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Not much of an individual stock investor, nor am I really seeking dividends but I did scoop up some nicely discounted CNQ stocks last fall. Dividend increased from $.425 quarterly to $.47, an 11% increase. Current yield is about 5.00%.

Find another oil company that not only didn't cut its dividend, but increased it both in 2020 and 2021. 21 consecutive years. I believe the only major oil company in this position in maybe the world.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Boom...I got a raise!

Premium Brands Holdings Corporation Reports Record Fourth Quarter and 2020 Results, $550.4 Million in Acquisitions and a 10.0% dividend Increase

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I saw that eder. I recall that you had predicted good things from PBH a few months ago as the hope for a vaccine improves outlook for future - congrats. I've been following this one (rather expensive now tho).

·
Registered
144 Posts
TFI International Declares their Quarterly Dividend ... will now be paid out in US dollars.
GlobeNewswire
The Board of Directors of TFI International Inc. (NYSE and TSX: TFII), a North American leader in the transportation and logistics industry, declared a quarterly dividend of US $0.23 per outstanding common share of its capital payable on April 15, 2021 to shareholders of record at the close of business on March 31, 2021.

Any Canadian shareholder whose name appears in the shareholders' register on the record date of the said payment may elect to receive their payment in equivalent CAD currency converted at the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect on the record date.

Canadian shareholders of record will receive an election form to return accordingly. If no election is made, payment of this and all future dividends will be in U.S. currency. Any elections to receive dividends in equivalent Canadian currency shall be deemed permanent unless shareholders advise otherwise at least 30 days prior to future record date.

(I called my brokerage firm and had them transfer all my TSX:TFII shares to my US cash account.)

·
Registered
664 Posts
First National Financial. FN.TO. ups div from 2.10 to 2.35 yr.

First National Financial Corporation Reports First Quarter 2021 Results, Increases Common Share Dividend

·
Registered
746 Posts
Per their Q1 news release, Telus increases dividend a half cent from $0.3112 to $0.3162 / quarter, or up 8.6% from a year ago as they've returned to the twice a year increase cadence.

I suspect their overall annual increases will be more muted toward the lower end of their 7-10% guidance as their free cashflow is taking a hit due to increasing their capex spend to expedite their 5G rollout.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Enerplus joined the ranks of dividend increasers again, first increase since 2016. Up 10% from $0.01 per month to $0.033 per quarter. Still looking forward to the day that buybacks are a bigger part of O&G, but many of them are just paying down debt first.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Repair of balance sheets is first and foremost. Then probably share buybacks, or some combination thereof. Like Suncor and CNQ. The way it should be as one never knows when the honeymoon might abruptly reverse course or stall.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts