Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I made the leap from Koodo to Public Mobile. It's just so cheap.
Unlimited Canada minutes and 1GB for $23/m (if you do auto pay from CC). I like their loyalty program, next year the bill will be $22/m and so forth until after 5 years and $5/m savings.

PM for my referral code to save yourself $10 and myself $1/m.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've been with Public for about 8 months now (former SpeakOut user) and I've been very impressed with their prices, add-ons, and overall user experience. I'm grandfathered under the $10/mo plan, which is $8/mo (plus tax) with auto-pay. The nice thing about Public is that you can buy add-ons to your basic plan, and those are good until you use them up. For example, you can buy 1 GB of data for $15, and there's no expiry -- it's good until you fully consume it. You can also buy 500 extra Canada-wide minutes for really cheap, and they also last until you use them up.

I still think SpeakOut is the cheapest option for very low-usage. My mom has a cell for emergency only with the $25 top-up that lasts for an entire year.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I've been with Public for about 8 months now (former SpeakOut user) and I've been very impressed with their prices,
I have been with SpeakOut for a long time.

I pay $35 a month for 1G data and unlimited talk and text.

When I examine Public Mobile I see basically the same plan.

Sure, there's a bonus with Public, but I'm lucky if I use 100M a month, so the bonus would be a loss leader.

How would Public help me over SpeakOut?

ltr

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have been with SpeakOut for a long time.

I pay $35 a month for 1G data and unlimited talk and text.

When I examine Public Mobile I see basically the same plan.

Sure, there's a bonus with Public, but I'm lucky if I use 100M a month, so the bonus would be a loss leader.

How would Public help me over SpeakOut?

ltr
That depends, do you need unlimited talk?

You could go with the $15 Public Mobile plan, which includes 100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 250 MB of data. If you need more talk, you can purchase a 500 minute add-on for $5. It's good until you use it up.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

You could go with the $15 Public Mobile plan, which includes 100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 250 MB of data. If you need more talk, you can purchase a 500 minute add-on for $5. It's good until you use it up.
We need VERY limited talk!

Data would be nice, but I would want that to be prepaid too. Would only use it very occasionally. Can't see us going back to USA any time soon, but roaming in USA would be another nice-to-have.

Can't see how Public could be better than $99 Canada wide talk and text. $8.25/month. Data if needed is $15/Gb for 30 days, which we don't need. Just 250Mb with Public is not very useful!

Knowroaming (which I had previously) suited me. High call/data costs in Canada but data and talk/text available. (Unless you use their quirky call-back system) Just US$25 every 9 months and it can be used almost anywhere in the world. We only used it in USA and Canada. Gave up when their service via AT&T stopped working while we were away for winter. Prior to that we also had calling problems in Canada. They rely on others for their network connections and those are a bit unreliable at times. Too bad, because it gave me all I needed.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Freedom does have unlimited talk & text for $99/yr. Can't see Public beating that? The 250Mb data is not very useful.

Meanwhile, we will see how Speakout goes. It will probably do all we need, especially seeing we are still staying home most of the time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
We need VERY limited talk!

Data would be nice, but I would want that to be prepaid too. Would only use it very occasionally. Can't see us going back to USA any time soon, but roaming in USA would be another nice-to-have.

Can't see how Public could be better than $99 Canada wide talk and text. $8.25/month. Data if needed is $15/Gb for 30 days, which we don't need. Just 250Mb with Public is not very useful!
That depends on how much data you typically use, and how often you need it. I think you'd be surprised at how far 250 MB can go, assuming you're not doing data-heavy activities like video or music streaming.

like_to_retire said he rarely uses more than 100 MB per month, so why would he want to pay for 1 GB every 30 days when he could be paying less while still getting enough to suit his needs?

The Freedom Mobile $99/yr plan is a great plan if all you want is talk and text, since both of those are unlimited. If you want data, you're paying an extra $15 per GB with a 30-day expiry. That's okay if you NEED 1 GB every month, but many of us can get by with 250 MB or less... I realize that some people find this hard to believe!

The only time I use data is when I'm away from Wi-Fi, which is only a few times a week at most. And I don't use it for frivolous purposes.

If I wanted NO data, I would probably go with the Freedom plan, but the Public Mobile plan is cheaper for me when you factor in the data.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wouldn't go to Freedom if I had a need for data. I don't.
When data is available, it is more likely it will be used. Nevertheless, I used less than 100 Mb in 280 days on Knowroaming, and none of that was really necessary. I think I can get by without it. It could be useful when traveling.
Because we have gvoice/hangouts, we don't really need talk/text. Ideally we would have pay as you go data. But don't know of such a plan.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I dont use much for data (2gig) or talk lots on the phone (dunno how much).
I just got off the phone with a Rogers customer service attendant. I was paying 40 & 35 for 2 talk and text plans. My wife also has a talk & text plan. Both my kids don't use their phones much for calling, texting or data for that matter. I managed to focus the conversation on my needs, rather than trying to sell me an inflated data-rich 75/month plan. I asked for a bare bones data plan with some talk and text (100MB data + 100 text, 50 calling canada only) for 25 per month. She also offered 2 GB with unlimited talk and text for 35 per month. I took the first choice and managed to reduce the bill to 75 + tax per month for 3 plans with data rather than 100 + tax for 3 plans without data. It wouldn;t surprise me that we move the the 35 per month plan in a while, but even then I'm ahead. They will always try to get you to buy something you don't need - but they will always do what they can to keep as a paying customer

61 - 71 of 71 Posts