Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Agent99

Not pay as you go, but we have 2 phones, 35.00 mth each (C$). 600 shared minutes, plus unlimited minutes between us, and unlimited txt's. No Data. Works seamlessly in Can/US. 2yr plan and they provided two new iphones….. albeit iPhone 6's. Like you we don't use them much just for emergencies like when we lose each other in Costco... lol!

Simplyconnect.ca

We had knowroaming a couple of years back but also quit and got a refund due to frustrations...

·
Registered
74 Posts
For those who use Lucky mobile - I just signed up with Lucky mobile today, and enabled pre-authorized top-up. I got the $25/month plan. Do they withdraw the taxes from my credit card in addition to the $25, leaving me with a negative balance, and suspended service? Or should I make the top-up amount $30 to cover taxes?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Agent99

Not pay as you go, but we have 2 phones, 35.00 mth each (C$). 600 shared minutes, plus unlimited minutes between us, and unlimited txt's. No Data. Works seamlessly in Can/US. 2yr plan and they provided two new iphones….. albeit iPhone 6's. Like you we don't use them much just for emergencies like when we lose each other in Costco... lol!

Simplyconnect.ca

We had knowroaming a couple of years back but also quit and got a refund due to frustrations...
Our usage is so low, that even 2x$30 is a lot for us! The fact that it works cross-border is a big plus though. It is the main reason we have used Knowroaming.

Our best route is probably Speakout at C$25 per refill (at most 3xC$25 for both of us). SIMS about $30 for 2? Then for USA, AT&T at US$25 for 3 month refills plus $15 activation, calls 25c/min. We would probably only add this to one phone that would be left in car. Haven't checked, but there are likely better deals than AT&T. In any event, total first year annual cost about C$145. KR annual costs were only slightly less.

So for our minimal x-border phone service, either way, we would average about $12/month total for both of us.

Regarding AT&T - we added service last Saturday evening on one phone. By Sunday evening, the call/text log showed over 70 incoming calls! Luckily I had turned the phone off or had it on airplane mode, and most of call went to voicemail (which is not set up). Nevertheless, our $25 balance went down to $23 without us using phone! I am going to talk to them tomorrow to see why we have got all those calls. I have added a call blocker and a text blocker, but am afraid to turn the phone on in case we get flooded with unwanted calls.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
$20. Details please.
I was onpay as you go with Koodo. Primarily because we were out of the country 4-5 months per year.

Koodo sent me a text offer. Upgrade from $15 a month prepay to unlimited for $20. I took them up on the offer. No data, just phone and messaging Canada wide.

We have both been with Koodo (Telus) for eight years. Happy customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our best route is probably Speakout at C$25 per refill (at most 3xC$25 for both of us). SIMS about $30 for 2? Then for USA, AT&T at US$25 for 3 month refills plus $15 activation, calls 25c/min.
That plan is exactly what I do - Speakout in Canada, and AT&T PayAsYouGo while in the USA. I'm also a low user of my cellphone, so this route is very economical for me. I'm a snowbird for 6 months, so I top up my AT&T account with $25 every 3 months to retain my AT&T number year round.

You can usually get the AT&T SIM for free if you go to an AT&T store.

FYI, you can do an online switch of the AT&T account from 25 cents/min to $2 per day, so if you're going to be making long phone calls on a articular day, you can switch to $2/day, and then switch back to 25 cents/min on the next day.

I haven't had with a huge amount of unwanted calls to my AT&T number, but then I will calls go to voice mail if I don't recognize the number

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
That plan is exactly what I do - Speakout in Canada, and AT&T PayAsYouGo while in the USA. I'm also a low user of my cellphone, so this route is very economical for me. I'm a snowbird for 6 months, so I top up my AT&T account with $25 every 3 months to retain my AT&T number year round.

You can usually get the AT&T SIM for free if you go to an AT&T store.

FYI, you can do an online switch of the AT&T account from 25 cents/min to $2 per day, so if you're going to be making long phone calls on a articular day, you can switch to $2/day, and then switch back to 25 cents/min on the next day.

I haven't had with a huge amount of unwanted calls to my AT&T number, but then I will calls go to voice mail if I don't recognize the number
Thanks for input. I did get sim from AT&T store and it was free, but they now charge a $15 activation fee :(

Before I moved to Knowroaming, I would also use 4 AT&T $25 refills a year. I found that I could use my phone in Canada with those. That way number was retained, but that is not really important to us.

However, with my minimal usage, C$25 for Speakout per year and US$25 + US$15 activation for 3 months is a bit less and provides Canadian based service on Speakout, albeit at 30c/min. That new $15 activation each time is not good. No data with either of these, but with wifi everywhere, not really necessary. That is where Knowroaming came in, and it's rate was lower for calls (15c/min). However, a week after we noticed calls were not connecting, they still are not. They say they are working on it, but a week+++ to fix something that is their main service is not good. They are refunding us our last $25 top ups for 2 phones. In Canada, their direct calls cost US0.58/min! If you use callback, they are much less, but callback is a confusing system. I would mainly use data calls using Hangouts but that requires turning data on and off for each call. My wife would not do that!

This shouldn't be so complicated. But it seems there is no simple system for snowbirds like us, who only stay away for 3 months and only use phones for safety/emergency purposes.

Going to see AT&T today to see what they can do about the over 100 unwanted calls in 2 days! (We have phone on Airplane mode, so calls go to non functional voicemail.)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Xplore Mobile. 2g of data (carries over if not used), unlimited Canada-wide calling from Manitoba, unlimited world-wide texting. $5 extra for unlimited "rest of Canada calling" but that only applies if used. I pay $25 but I'm grandfathered in. New users pay $35.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For those who use Lucky mobile - I just signed up with Lucky mobile today, and enabled pre-authorized top-up. I got the $25/month plan. Do they withdraw the taxes from my credit card in addition to the $25, leaving me with a negative balance, and suspended service? Or should I make the top-up amount $30 to cover taxes?
I dont know yet..... I am on the $40 plan and set my top up feature at $40. When they bill me I will log into the www site and let you know what the bill was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dont know yet..... I am on the $40 plan and set my top up feature at $40. When they bill me I will log into the www site and let you know what the bill was.

Thanks, I got it figured out. I set my pre-authorized top-up to $25 even, and they charged my credit card $28 to cover the tax.

Also, I got my sim card at dollarama for $4, and after 2 months, they are sending me a $20 dollarama gift card.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I switched to Freedom Mobile recently. $40/month for 9 gb of data, and unlimited throttled data if you use up the 9 gb. But that's an introductory rate for 1 year, then they increase the price to $50/month. I may switch then depending on what deals are available in a year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Simplyconnect already mentioned here has another name Zoomer.
Check zoomerwireless.ca current promo $36 / month 800 anytime minutes 5 gb data unlimited texts good til March 31 simplyconnect has exact same plan, Zoomer customers get 10% off

Forgot to mention that you also currently get a $100 activation credit and if you are referred by an existing zoomer customer you and the person referring get another $50 each

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Petro-Canada Mobility
Likewise. They are still the cheapest way to run a basic phone with no data -- I pay around $10 a month using $25 top ups a few times a year. If you need data, I think they are not the cheapest though, and certainly aren't the most flexible.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Likewise. They are still the cheapest way to run a basic phone with no data -- I pay around $10 a month using $25 top ups a few times a year. If you need data, I think they are not the cheapest though, and certainly aren't the most flexible.
Speakout (7-Eleven) is similar to Petro in that it runs on the Rogers network. Depending on how much you use your phone, it can be less expensive.
Calling and texting about same as PetroCanada. No data on text&Call plan.

Biggest difference, is that Top-Ups are available @ $25, $35, $50 and $100 . All expire in 365 days (at Petro, only the $100 has 365 day expiry).
If a $35 Top-up is bought initially, they include a free SIM (otherwise $10.00)

Because we don't see travelling to USA any time soon, we will likely both get a Speakout text and talk plan. Some data would be a 'nice-to-have' and for that I would have to get the $100 Petro plan. However, that gives me way more airtime than I need.

Our existing US based plans expire soon, but really, we don't need cell phones while holed up at home!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
We did end up getting two Speakout pay as you go plans. Free SIMs with $35 initial top ups ($10 shipping because there are no 7-Elevens in Easter Ontario) .

One negative thing I have already found - Speakout doesn't provide a call log. You just see the balance going down, but don't know why! You can use the smartphone's call log, but so far I have not figured out how to get call duration and of course, Speakout charges are not there. This may not seem important, but if you start to get a lot of robocalls or telemarketing, you need to know the details. We had this problem in USA with AT&T and had to use a call blocking app to block such calls.

The other negative ( I already knew about it), is the $1.25/month regulatory fee. So if you get a $25 top-up, $15 of that will go to paying the fee over a year. Leaves 33 minutes of calls. So calls cost 75c/min if only make 33min in emergency calls in a year. Maybe not a big problem, but you do have to be careful because balance you thought you had keeps diminishing :(

I wish there was a better plan for those of us just needing an emergency plan. However we looked at it, alternatives were hundreds of $$ more per year.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you don't need the data, check out this prepaid $99 yearly plan with Freedom Mobile. It includes Canada wide unlimited talk and text.
Seems like a good plan. Almost like the old Rogers $100/yr plan that we once had. Data can be added on at $15/Gb /month(ouch)

I could not find anything on their site as to whether they charge a regulatory or any other add-on fees. Same for roaming availability with prepaid. They say to go to My Account to find out, which is hard to do before you sign up ;).

Maybe by time our Speakout expires, it will be safe to go to one of their local stores and get the full details. Whether it's worthwhile or not, will depend, I suppose, on just how much we use Speakout.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Seems like a good plan. Almost like the old Rogers $100/yr plan that we once had. Data can be added on at $15/Gb /month(ouch)

I could not find anything on their site as to whether they charge a regulatory or any other add-on fees. Same for roaming availability with prepaid. They say to go to My Account to find out, which is hard to do before you sign up ;).

Maybe by time our Speakout expires, it will be safe to go to one of their local stores and get the full details. Whether it's worthwhile or not, will depend, I suppose, on just how much we use Speakout.
We have two connections of this plan. I like it compare to the monthly plan as we do not need to pay Alberta 911 Levy on a monthly basis.We paid only $0.44 once we paid the full $99. They don't charge any other add-on fees. It just $99+0.44+GST/HST for one year.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts