Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not having much use for phones, it amazes me that the modern generations think $60 - $70 is a steal for a phone plan!

I suppose it is if you also consider it your internet and TV provider. I think we pay about $125/month for TV, internet and phone.
I pay $60 for Internet and $12 or so for Netflix. Don't watch TV.

Cell phones are an interesting one, I pay $55. The thing is for lots of people their phone is their primary internet device.
Even if they have a computer, they won't even turn it on most days.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I pay $20 for unlimited Canada calling on my cell. It replaced my wired phone. I think we were paying about $23 for a phone line 25 or 30 years ago.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Not having much use for phones, it amazes me that the modern generations think $60 - $70 is a steal for a phone plan!

I suppose it is if you also consider it your internet and TV provider. I think we pay about $125/month for TV, internet and phone.
Never paid that much for a phone plan - there has always existed a better deal especially now with all the MVNOs - or in Canada discount brands of the exact same service from the same 3 telcos

I pay under 50usd for those in the states now. Could say 10-20 more if you count spotify/hulu and amazon prime but I don't need their videos. Internet provides more video content than I can ever watch

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Never paid that much for a phone plan
I pay under 50usd for those in the states now.
What is that at the current exchange rate ;)

ltr said
but those that enjoy sports are pretty much tied to the telcos
It's actually costing us about $80/month just to get the Golf Channel; occasionally tennis on TSN/SN; olympics every two years. Other dubious benefit is CNN and our local Global News. Oh, and TreeHouse & TVO for when the youngest GK is here :) If we could just live stream those, that would be good.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It may not be important to you or others, but those that enjoy sports are pretty much tied to the telcos in that regard.
CBC sports app is pretty decent actually. I airplay that to the TV in HD.. Free NHL playoffs etc. The NHL itself and many sports orgs are now posting the highlights to youtube.. For example I just watched Russia vs Sweden highlights in 15 minutes.. free and saves 3 hours of my life watching people stand around and commentate

RedBull TV has lots of live extreme sports, motorsports and professional documentaries for free. Lots of other sports are streaming live on FB and Youtube nowadays. amazon prime is starting to stream sports and you can subscribe to the various pro sports apps.. I can't handle spectating entire pro seasons but if I did that might be worth the price

I do get cable at work, at hotels and at parents etc. It seems like cable TV is 99% reruns, "reality tv" and erectile dysfunction/boomer ads now. There is the 1% of time that I do want to watch something live such as IIHF Canada vs Russia tomorrow.. I will stream it for free albeit from a dubious online source

It's actually costing us about $80/month just to get the Golf Channel; occasionally tennis on TSN/SN; olympics every two years. Other dubious benefit is CNN and our local Global News. Oh, and TreeHouse & TVO for when the youngest GK is here :) If we could just live stream those, that would be good.
Olympics are streamed for free now on CBC sports, BBC and probably many many other sources around the world. CNN and all other local news can be had for free in many ways such as OTA antenna - I personally get my video news from haystack tv (curated to my interests, including stocks I follow and local) the reuters tv 15 min stream and CBC live stream on youtube etc

I haven't looked for golf or tennis myself, but there is lots of kids content available on youtube and various apple tv apps nowadays, and I imagine all the other streaming devices

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The NHL itself and many sports orgs are now posting the highlights to youtube......
Yeah, watching youtube the next day isn't really how I prefer to watch my sports.

I do want to watch something live such as IIHF Canada vs Russia tomorrow.. I will stream it for free albeit from a dubious online source
Yep, there it is. I'll be watching the game tomorrow, and I'll be paying for it, and m3s will not be paying for it. These "dubious online sources" is one of the reasons I pay so much.

ltr

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I pay for the internet and you pay for the cable (and internet) - both provide us with live 1s and 0s - no difference there except the price and medium.

I still get exposed to all the Tim Hortons, Telus and Canadian Tire logos on the billboards and ice and other online ads that really pays for the IIHF. If there was an app with say IIHF subscription for a reasonable price I would happily pay it. Same way that everyone is happy to pay for music streaming nowadays.

$80/month for the rare sports that isn't already online isn't worth it. Youtube and all the other apps are ad giants now. Some sports are already losing the younger generation due to this out dated mentality.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I pay for the internet and you pay for the cable (and internet) - both provide us with live 1s and 0s - no difference there except the price and medium.

I still get exposed to all the Tim Hortons, Telus and Canadian Tire logos on the billboards and ice and other online ads that really pays for the IIHF. If there was an app with say IIHF subscription for a reasonable price I would happily pay it. Same way that everyone is happy to pay for music streaming nowadays.

$80/month for the rare sports that isn't already online isn't worth it. Youtube and all the other apps are ad giants now. Some sports are already losing the younger generation due to this out dated mentality.
Justify it any way you like.

ltr

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
$80/month for the rare sports that isn't already online isn't worth it..
Then don't watch it. How does the fact that they're charging for it give you the right to get it for free as you've readily admitted doing?

The millennial generation have single handed been responsible for destroying the music industry already and now they have their sights set on telecom.

The fact that you can find ways to steal the feed for free as a result of some computer jigger y-pokery doesn't mean that makes it right.

ltr

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The recording industry took a hit on CD sales but the music industry continues to make billions in many different ways. Once the recording industry caught up with modern trends (digital mp3 players, streaming services) people are happy to pay again

The sports industry seems to be going through a similar change. Everyone is streaming video now but some of the sports industry is holding on to out dated cable tv subscriptions to legally see it live. Probably the network provider more than the sports themselves

You can pay to stream most sports now but TSN for some reason wants you to pay for network television first before you can access their online streaming that exists.. I'm not paying the same cable company $1000/year to stream a few games of IIHF

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Pretty much any tv channel is free on the net if you know where to look. I get about 80 channels on the shady site I found last but don't watch as the commercials are such a waste of time. I think the time of the tv is over.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If sat/cable was really dead and we had a viable alternative, I would be more than happy. I would be happy if we could choose a dozen or so live TV channels instead of the 50 or 60 needed to just cover what we watch. But, nothing above tells me how to get golf channel, tsn, sn live. I know it can be done illegally with kodi or whatever. But we ain't going there. So we pay our $80/month for shaw, $40 for internet and $5 for ooma. Oh, and about $50/yr for two cell phones 🙂

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just realized you can stream TSN direct for $5/day or $20/month. That's fair - I might try that the rare month I want to stream something. You can stream the IIHF semi finals on TSN right now for free (not live)

I don't know where to look for golf but I imagine they would have a similar direct subscription? I see the US has apps that combine various live sports streams like "DAZN"

CBC sports streams hockey night in canada online legally for free, including during the playoffs, and many other sports like the olympics etc. Many if not all the news networks stream for free (ads) already

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, I switched to Lucky Mobile (Bell) and so far there is no noticeable difference to my usage. I’m capped at 3g speeds but I can still stream Netflix... don’t know why I need faster data....

Old plan was Rogers (unlimited calls/Txts) & 15gigs for $73/mo
New plan is Lucky (unlimited calls/Txts) & 4.5gigs for $40/mo

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
We are now in the USA. We have used knowroaming in past. It would use AT&T network. US$25 or more can be loaded. expires in 9 months. Country wide calling + LTE data available either paygo or at daily rates for heavy users.

It worked OK for us in past years. However, in November while in Canada, there was a period when I could not dial any numbers. I had medical issues after that and don't know how long it took them to get that working, if at all. Now we are in USA. Had no reason to use phone until last Thursday. When I tried, I could call my wife's knowroaming phone, but no other numbers. I spent most of last Friday on-line with their support people, but nothing was resolved. As a result, we had to go out and get an AT&T sim plus a $25 prepaid card. They also charged a $15 activation fee (at AT&T store). For that we get no data and can make calls for 25c/min, texts 20c I think. $25 expires in 3 months. This will work for us because we only really need the phone for emergency/safety use (more important because of health issues). Otherwise we use Google Voice/Hangouts or Skype.

I have asked knowroaming to cancel our accounts and provide a refund of the prepaid balances. 4 days later still waiting to hear! They should do this seeing they could not get their system to work for us.

When we get back, I will likely get my wife a Speakout account. Probably pay as you go. I will probably just rely on wifi.

What we really need are pay as you go plans that will work on both sides of border. Other than Knowroaming, haven't found any.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yea I mostly use google voice now

FYI all mobile phones and mobile service providers in NA must provide 911 service regardless if you pay for mobile service

Maybe look into Google Fi for PAYG across borders

21 - 40 of 70 Posts