Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at finding a better cell plan. Currently am with Roger for $72 / mo using an iPhone 8 that I own.

I am contemplating switching to Lucky Mobile or Public Mobile both are for $40 / mo each its unlimited Canada Calling and 5 Gigs of data.

Anyone have any feedback as I hunt for a new provider ? I dont use much for data (2gig) or talk lots on the phone (dunno how much).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am looking at finding a better cell plan. Currently am with Roger for $72 / mo using an iPhone 8 that I own.

I am contemplating switching to Lucky Mobile or Public Mobile both are for $40 / mo each its unlimited Canada Calling and 5 Gigs of data.

Anyone have any feedback as I hunt for a new provider ? I dont use much for data (2gig) or talk lots on the phone (dunno how much).
Try simplyconnect.ca it runs on the Rogers network. Don't know about what it might have for your situation, wanting data, but I recently switched to one of their snowbird plans.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The Moto cell phone that I bought on Amazon two years or so ago was locked to Verizon. It was a new phone, packaged for Verizon. But it came with an unlock code. Very straightforward. Unlocked the phone as per the instructions, moved over my Koodo sim card and I was up and running. The only limitation was that the warranty was US based, not applicable in Canada however for the price delta I decided to take the chance.

I was not prepared to pay $200 plus or sign up for a term when I could buy it for $130 or so delivered to my door. It is still working just fine.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Try simplyconnect.ca it runs on the Rogers network. Don't know about what it might have for your situation, wanting data, but I recently switched to one of their snowbird plans.
Just looked at that. I like the way it works seamlessly across the border. But data is very limited. Also cost is way more than we now pay with Pay as you go plans. But we really don't use our phones much. And if we do, we are often on Wifi with Google Voice/Hangouts/Skype. Eliminating Ooma home phone would only save $5/month. I guess our phone use is just not enough to justify what otherwise looks like the best deal for us.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with Public for a year now. No issues. Paying $24 a month for 2GB, unlimited Canada calling and texting. This plan is 1GB normally, but they've been throwing me a freebie extra 1GB for a few months now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm with Public for a year now. No issues. Paying $24 a month for 2GB, unlimited Canada calling and texting. This plan is 1GB normally, but they've been throwing me a freebie extra 1GB for a few months now.
I've been looking at Public and Lucky.... for $40/mo and 5Gb it seems like a no brainier.... but I'll do some research before I pull the trigger.

Have you run a speed test on your connection ? What was it for up/down ?

Talked to a guy at the local Mobility store and he said for $5-10 more / mo he'd go with Koodo as the data isn't throttled back.... which is a point to consider.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its way more expensive - I don't know why they charge so much - or stay in business with rates that high - unless I am reading it wrong.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah, looks like about twice as expensive as I pay with SpeakOut.

ltr
But I don't think Speakout includes calling both sides of the border? That appears to be the attraction, for some, of the Simply Connect snowbird plan. BTW, Simply plans that include data don't include data outside of Canada. You will be charged for all data used.

We used to use Speakout prepaid before we had smartphones. At 30c/min, not exactly cheap though. But OK for those of us who don't yap much. Data is available free almost everywhere. (On Speakout no LTE)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've been looking at Public and Lucky.... for $40/mo and 5Gb it seems like a no brainier.... but I'll do some research before I pull the trigger.

Have you run a speed test on your connection ? What was it for up/down ?

Talked to a guy at the local Mobility store and he said for $5-10 more / mo he'd go with Koodo as the data isn't throttled back.... which is a point to consider.
Yes, both Lucky and Public serve data at 3G. Koodo is full speed.
For $45 a month, Koodo offers unlimited talk and text and 2 GB of data. My customer relations experience with Koodo and its coverage have been good.

Another option: call Rogers and say you're thinking about leaving and would like to talk with the Retention/Loyalty department. They have the ability to cut deals, particularly if you cite a rival advertised plan. Use Koodo or Freedom plans for leverage. (They won't consider Lucky/Public because of the difference in data speed.)
This option may make more sense if you have other services with Rogers, meaning staying may keep you eligible for bundle discounts.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
But I don't think Speakout includes calling both sides of the border? That appears to be the attraction, for some, of the Simply Connect snowbird plan. BTW, Simply plans that include data don't include data outside of Canada. You will be charged for all data used.
Yep, you're right agent99, Speakout doesn't work in the USA at all. To me, I would rather a year round cheap plan in Canada, and then get a SIM for the US if traveling. Year round, simplyconnect.ca seems quite expensive. Their unlimited Talk and unlimited Text with 2.5GB data is $80.

I like SpeakOut. It has 365 Day expiration on all their top ups.

I get Unlimited Talk and Unlimited Text with 1GB data for $35.

The Unlimited Text is CDN, US and INT'L numbers for both SMS and MMS, along with free Voice Mail, Caller ID and Call Waiting.

They have the same plan with 3GB for $45.

Quite a difference in pricing to simplyconnect it would seem.

ltr

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
To me, I would rather a year round cheap plan in Canada, and then get a SIM for the US if traveling.

Quite a difference in pricing to simplyconnect it would seem.

ltr
Update on simplyconnect costs: https://www.simplyconnect.ca/promotion_offer/byop-offer

Data on Speakout is only 3G, IIRC. Simplyconnect is on LTE - could be a factor in deciding.

Deleted my earlier message - The above changes everything :)

Don't know why I am checking this?? For our very limited needs, we use knowroaming, mainly for USA, but it works in Canada too. Costs me US$25 every 9 months :) May splurge and get Speakout at C$25 for 12 months. That should more than meet my cell phone needs :) . Obviously, not a phone addict :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Data on Speakout is only 3G, IIRC. Simplyconnect is on LTE - could be a factor in deciding.

Deleted my earlier message - The above changes everything :)
Really? I look up information on a web site using Speak Out and there's the answer on my phone. How would I know if it was LTE or 3G at that point? Why does this matter?

Costs me US$25 every 9 months :) May splurge and get Speakout at C$25 for 12 months. That should more than meet my cell phone needs
You can switch from a data plan at any time with Speak Out to simply "Pay as you Play". This costs $1.25 a month (for 911) if you don't use it and your top-up will last 12 months.

ltr

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Really? I look up information on a web site using Speak Out and there's the answer on my phone. How would I know if it was LTE or 3G at that point? Why does this matter?
ltr
If you don't notice the difference then it doesn't matter to YOU. Mind you, the world is moving to 5G. Maybe there is a reason ;)

OK, maybe this will help: https://www.ianswerguy.com/what-is-3g-4g-lte/

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If you don't notice the difference then it doesn't matter to YOU. Mind you, the world is moving to 5G. Maybe there is a reason ;)
Yeah, I doubt there's a person in the room that could tell the difference. I've tried them both and it matters not. They just tell you it matters, so we all agree.

ltr

·
Registered
32 Posts
Managed to wittle Rogers down to 65$ a month, unlimited nation wide, 10gb of data. I'm pleased with that... one device and I own it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have my own iPhone and have been with Virgin Mobile for about 6 years. I pay $50 a month with 4GB unlimited Canada wide calling. Can/US/International texting. I always found Bell and Rogers just too expensive. Virgin works off Bell towers so seem to work well everywhere.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Not having much use for phones, it amazes me that the modern generations think $60 - $70 is a steal for a phone plan!

I suppose it is if you also consider it your internet and TV provider. I think we pay about $125/month for TV, internet and phone.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Just looked at plans on the Koodo website. The plan that sells for $45 here in Alberta is available in Quebec for $33. Must be some competition. I hope the competition heats up in Alberta as it did five or six years ago when we switched to Koodo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use Lucky Mobile ($25/month) and it is 3g speeds. Are you sure you need faster speeds? 3g is enough to watch youtube and netflix. What are you doing that requires more speed? After I use up my 1 gb of data, I can continue to use an unlimited amoutn of data, but it is throttled to 128 Kbps. This is not enough to watch videos, but can still browse the web, email, messaging, google maps, etc. The cell phone companies are always bragging how fast their 4G networks are (and they are) but the data caps are ridiculously low. Most people would be far better off with less speed but a higher cap. One problem with Lucky is they don't allow roaming in the US so if you ever travel to the US you'll have to buy a local sim card if you want service.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts